- The Catholic Bishops of Canada, upon a proposal by the bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories, will consecrate Canada to the Mother of God on Saturday, July 1, or on the day following, marking the 150th anniversary of Confederation. Bishop David, on behalf of the Ukrainian Catholic faithful in Alberta, will do so on Sunday, June 25, on the occasion of the annual Saints Peter and Paul Parish Pilgrimage/Vidpust, Mundare.Other pastors are invited to do the same with their respective parish community on Sunday, July 2.A special prayer to be used for the consecration has been prepared, together with catechetical material on the meaning, history, and different kinds of consecration to the Mother of God:
- Text of the prayer of consecration. A shorter version of this prayer will soon be available by means of a prayer card especially commissioned for popular general use by the faithful.
- Catechetical resource for adults (Q&A)
- Catechetical resource for children (6-8 years old)
- Catechetical resource for children (9-11 years old)
Not since the National Marian Congress at Trois-Rivières in 1954, when Cardinals James McGuigan and Paul-Émile Léger consecrated the nation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, has such an act has been undertaken.
Given the challenges we face today for a new evangelization, the hope is that each diocese and eparchy will welcome a renewed act of consecration to Our Lady as an important opportunity for the Church’s mission in Canada.
- Bishop David will confer the Sacred Orders of the Subdiaconate upon Reader Cyril Kennedy at 9:30 am Divine Liturgy, Saturday, July 15, the Feast of Saint Volodymyr the Great, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- The Office for Evangelization and Catechesis, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, has prepared resources for celebrating Catechetical Sunday, October 1. The major theme is Missionary Disciples in the Vineyard of the Lord which is divided into four sub-themes:
1) catechists are called to be missionary disciples;
2) facilitate encounters with Christ;
3) accompany others;
4) live in solidarity with the poor and marginalized.
The resources are available on the website of the Office for Evangelization and Catechesis
Parishes may wish to use the liturgical suggestions for a special blessing of catechists either on Sunday, 1 October 2017, or at another time when catechists are gathered together.
- 2017 Presbyteral Council meetings:
- Monday, October 30 (2:00–4:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre)
- 2017 Clergy Conferences:
- Friday, November 3 (10:00 am-1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- Annual Clergy Retreats:
- June 11-15, 2018, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Fr. Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC, member of the Missionaries of Charity Fathers, postulator of the cause of canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and editor of A Call to Mercy: hearts to love, hands to serve, Mother Teresa.
- Annual Clergy Study Days – October 30-November 2 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton). Theme: “Ministry of Management.”
- Pope Francis’ General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops has announced a new papal website in preparation for the Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops in October 2018 on the theme “Young People, the Faith and Vocational Discernment.” The site is designed to promote the broad, interactive participation of young people around the world in preparation for the Synod, and includes an online questionnaire to which they are invited to respond and submit to the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops by 30 November 2017.
The website can be accessed in a number of languages and is found at the address http://youth.synod2018.va.
- The 2017 World Mission Day will be celebrated this year on October 22. Pope Francis’ Message for the occasion, entitled “Mission at the heart of the Christian faith,” is available at the Holy See’s website: vatican.va
- The Holy Father has issued his Message for the First World Day of the Poor, entitled “Let us love, not with words but with deeds,” to be celebrated on November 19. The Message is available on the Holy See’s website at: vatican.va
- Bishop David published a Pastoral Letter, entitled Created in the Image and Likeness of God, A Ukrainian Catholic Response to “Medical Assistance in Dying”
Published are article covering recent events in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta by Jayne L. Buryn, Communications Coordinator, Eparchy of Edmonton:
- Julian Bilyj – Divine Design: Brothers escape Balkan conflict, gain closer relationship with God;
- “Spiritual Giant” of the Ukrainian Catholic Church passes away; “The whole world recognized him as a spiritual giant of our church” – Bishop David Motiuk
© 2017 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330