- The Annual “Aid to the Missionary Church in the World” collection is taken up throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton on Pentecost Sunday. Christ died for our sins on the life-giving wood of the Cross. His message of love, mercy and forgiveness is needed ever more in our broken world. As Christians, we are called to continue Jesus’ mission of spreading the Good News, each according to our ability and means. Concretely, the Church invites us to collaborate in the mission of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, by giving generously to the following international collections:
- Peter’s Pence (Pope’s Pastoral Works or Papal Charities),
- World Mission Fund,
- Collection for the Holy Land,
- Catholic Near East Welfare Association, and
- Aid to the Church in Ukraine.
Follow the link for an explanation of each of the various collections. Thank you for your generosity!
- The 6th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 3, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Avenue), Edmonton. The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Families – The Vocation and Mission of Families in the Church and Contemporary World.” Guest speakers and Bernadette and Dale Mandrusiak who will participate in this year’s World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia with Pope Francis.
Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; email@example.com.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 15-19, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master – Most Rev. Paul Chomnycky, Eparchy of Stamford.
- 2015 marks a year dedicated by Pope Francis to the promotion of consecrated life. The Eparchy of Edmonton is celebrating the Year of Consecrated Life with two special events:
- June 28, Annual Vidpust/Pilgrimage, Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare; and
- July 29, Day of Thanksgiving. 10:00 am Divine Liturgy and BBQ. Open only to Women and Men Religious, Monastics, and Eparchial Clergy and their families. Hosted by the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate at Saint Joseph Convent, Mundare. This day also marks the 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, a member of the Order of Saint Basil the Great.
In celebrating the Year of Consecrated Life, we join Pope Francis in thanking the religious, saying in the words of the Holy Father: “Thank you, for what you do and for your spirit of faith and your quest for service. Thanks for your testimony!”
- 2015 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Passing Into Eternal Life of Bishop Demetrius Greschuk (July 8, 1990). In consultation with the Greschuk family, a Memorial Divine Liturgy will be held at 6:00 pm, Wednesday, September 9, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral. Clergy, religious, monastics and lay faithful are most welcome to attend. Reception to follow at Saint Josaphat Cathedral Hall (Verkhovyna). Bishop Greschuk was the Second Bishop of the Eparchy of Edmonton, serving from 1974-1990, first in the capacity of Auxiliary Bishop, then Apostolic Administrator, and finally Eparchial Bishop.
- The World Meeting of Families will take place from September 22-25, followed by a Papal Visit of Pope Francis from September 26-27, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.The theme of the World Meeting of Families is “Love is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive.” Called together from all over the world in faithful celebration of the family, the sanctuary of love and life.The World Meeting of Families and Papal Visit are open to all faithful interested in participating. For additional information, visit www.worldmeeting2015.org.
- 2015 Presbyteral Council meetings – October 5 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery Office).
- 2015 Clergy Conferences – October 9 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm).
- 2015 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 5-8 (Providence Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- The 89th World Mission Day will be held on Sunday, October 18. This year the Day will take place in the context of the Year of Consecrated Life and will therefore highlight the bond between faith and mission. A copy of Pope Francis’ pastoral message for the celebration is attached.
- Bishop David, with the recommendation of the Sacred Orders and Ministries Commission, will confer sacred orders upon:
- Ordination to the Diaconate – Andrij Nykyforuk, 10:00 am, Sunday, June 14, Saint Vladimir Parish, Edmonton; and
- Ordination to the Priesthood – Deacon Jim Nakonechny, 10:00 am, Saturday, August 8, Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton.
- Bishop David appointed Rev. Myron Pyszcz as Pastor of Descent of the Holy Spirit Parish, Lloydminster, and Saint Olha Parish, Vermilion, effective June 1. 2015.
- World Meeting of Families PrayerJoin together with families from around the world in prayer. Pray the World Meeting of Families Prayer each day with your family for the success of the event and for your family’s personal intentions:God and Father of us all,
in Jesus, your Son and our Savior,
you have made us
your sons and daughters
in the family of the Church.May your grace and love
help our families
in every part of the world
be united to one another
in fidelity to the Gospel.May the example of the Holy Family,
with the aid of your Holy Spirit,
guide all families, especially those most troubled,
to be homes of communion and prayer
and to always seek your truth and live in your love.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for us!
© 2015 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330