- Rev. Daniel Wach, osbm, is Pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Vegreville; and Saint John the Baptist Parish, Borshchiw. Rev. John Sembrat, osbm is the assistant pastor.
- Rev. Irenej Valyavka, osbm, is Pastor of
- St. John the Baptist Lamont
Exaltation of the Holy Cross Skaro
Assumption of the BVM Star-Peno
Presentation of the BVM Delph
St. Dymytro Hilliard
Nativity of the BVM Leeshore
St. Michael the Archangel Limestone
Protection of the BVM Krakow
St. Nicholas St. Michael
Nativity of BVM Chipman
- St. John the Baptist Lamont
Parish: Sts. Peter and Paul
5420 Sawchuk Street
Office Phone: (780) 764-3860
Sts. PETER and PAUL Parish – Парафія свв. Петра і Павла
Sts. Peter and Paul Parish is located 90 km. east of Edmonton on the CN tracks. The first pioneers arrived in Mundare district around 1898. In the 1930s out of 777 people in the district, 582 of them were Ukrainian residents. With the coming of Fr. Platonid Filas in 1902 the missionary work among the Ukrainian faithful started the blossom. Originally the Basilian Fathers took care of a vast territory to the East (Town of Lloydminster 175 km.), to the West (Village of Leeshore 65 km.), to the North (Elk Point195 km.) and to the South (Borshchiw 30 km.). The Mundare district was also known as Beaverlake, a name taken from the lake some distance away to the south.
Church of Sts. Peter and Paul.
Location: S.20, T.53, R.16 W of the 4 th Meridian. There is an easy access to the church. The church property is incorporated as ‘The Ukrainian Catholic Mission of the Order of St. Basil the Great in Canada.’ One acre of land was donated by Michael Shewchuk. There were 255 children in 1940. There were several organizations in the community: Apostolstvo molytvo (Apostleship of Prayer), Marian League organized by Fr.Sophron Dyakowich in 1928, Sisterhood of St. Barbara organized by Fr. Josaphat Tymochko in 1908 etc. Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood was organized by Fr. Andrew Truch.
There were approximately 100 families that we could call the Founders of the parish. Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky was the engine of building a church in Mundare. The district had many opponents of a Ukrainian community: a) so called Seraphymtsi – followers of self-proclaimed leader Seraphym, radical socialists that became communists, b) some protestant movements c) the Ukrainian Russophiles, members of the Russian Orthodox Church, established themselves in and around Mundare: Church of St. Jacob in the town of Mundare, and outside: St. Demetrius by Seredyaks – 3.2 km., St. John the Baptist by Farus – 5 km., St. Michael by Caraboo – 6.4 km., and Dormition by Shyshkovtsi – 8 km. In addition in 1912 they started publishing Orthodox Rusyn (Pravoslavnyi Rusyn (Ukrainian)) and founded the first residential school. To boycott the Ukrainian Catholic church feasts, large groups of Orthodox clergy were intentionally invited to conduct processions in the town. This type of embarrassing conduct of the Russian orthodox people was not enough to take away our faithful. Instead it made them stronger and much more dedicated to their Ukrainian Catholic church and the Ukrainian nation.
The first church (50” x 30’) was built in 1910: contractor Danylo Chornyi and architect Roland W. Lines. The cost of building the church was approximately $4,500.00. The cornerstone was blessed by Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky and Fr. Matthew Hura on August 8, 1910 in the presence of many people and the Prime Minister of Canada, Wilfred Laurier. The church was consecrated by the Primate of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, the Metropolitan of Lviv, Ukraine, His Grace Andrey Sheptytsky on October 23, 1910. The first canonical visit was held by the first Ukrainian Catholic bishop Nykyta Budka, followed by yearly visits of our bishops in Canada. In 1928 the church was too small and had to be enlarged by Luke Koss costing $7,000.00. In 1938 the inside painting was done by P. Lypynsky. On April 7, 1941, shortly before the Easter celebrations, a fire broke out in the church. The Insurance Company reimbursed the damage, and the building was extended by 3 m., so the church was now 38 m. long. Artist P. Lypynsky repainted the damaged paintings. The church, preserving the Ukrainian architectural tradition, was well known by Ukrainians in North America, and many non Ukrainians enjoyed visiting the church, always admiring her beauty and originality.
For many years Mundare served as the Provincial center of the Basilian Fathers in North America.
Basilian Fathers who served as parish priests in Mundare: Fr. Platonid Filas (Dec. 27, 1902 to Jan. 9, 1905); Fr. Athanasius Filipiw (Jan. 13, 1905 to Dec. 26, 1906); Fr. John Chrysostom Tymochko (Dec.26, 1906 to Dec. 10, 1909); Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (Jan. 1, 1910 to 1932); Fr. Athanasius Filipiw (1933-1937); Fr. Neil Savaryn (1938-1943); Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk (1943-1944); Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk (1944-1949); Fr. Vital Pidskalny (1949-1952); Fr. Nicon Swirsky (1952-1953); Fr. Victor Soroka (1954); Fr. Peter Hrabec (1955-1958); Fr. Basil Kamenetsky (1959-1960); Fr. Eugene Kushko (1961-1964)); Fr. Vital Pidskalny (1965-1970); Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1970-1973); Fr. Justin Ewaschyshyn (1973-1976); Fr. Damien Weleschuk (1976-1982); Fr. Myron Chimy (1982-1983); Fr. Harry Boretsky (1983-1986); Fr. Lawrence Huculak (1986-1997); Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1998-2000); Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (2001- ). Many other Basilian Fathers were also helping out over the years.
The Grotto in Mundare took many years to be build, thanks to the efforts of Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar and the Basilian students and brothers.
Starting from 1932 and up to the present day, it is the center of the great pilgrimage on the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul, where thousands of our faithful gather each year.
National hall (Narodnyi Dim) was opened in 1917 for all cultural activities of the community. The building burnt down in 1925 and was estimated to cost $3,000.00. A new solid brick structure was constructed the same year and blessed on October 18, 1925. During the many years this Narodnyi Dim has served as an educational centre for Ukrainian culture, a public forum for Canadian politicians, Ukrainian artists, intellectuals and all Ukrainian members of the Alberta Legislature. In the years of financial restraint in Canada, our dedicated people collected the following amounts for good causes: to defend our first Bishop Nykyta Budka against false accusations ($300.00); the Metropolitan Fund for the orphans in Ukraine ($678.00), Student residence in Edmonton ($6,000.00); “National loan” ($556.00); Red Cross ($620.00); Mundare hospital ($2,000.00); Carpathian Ukraine independence struggle in 1938-1939 ($709.80), etc. In the walls of the hall the First Congress of the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Alberta was held in 1933; First Ukrainian Teachers’ of Alberta Symposium in 1940. The National hall always cooperated positively with the church and the clergy in Mundare.
The cemetery is located 5 km. south-east from Mundare. The church cemetery also has a section for the Basilian monks and Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate.
Basilian Monastery in Mundare is the oldest Basilian monastery, whose beginnings go back to 1903. The new monastery was designed by Fr. Philip Ruh, OMI in 1922 and was officially opened on July 12, 1922. A novitiate was built one year later. The monastery served for many years as a House of Studies.
Parish: Holy Trinity
5705 – 51 Street
Office Phone: (780) 632-3433
Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)
9:00 a.m. (Ukrainian)
11:15 a.m. (English)
HOLY TRINITY Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Трійці
Location: half a km. from the CPR and CNR in the northern part of the town of Vegreville. In the beginning there were only 8 families, commuting for the church services between Vegreville and Mundare. The first settlers were very poor. The Presbyterian Church of Canada, interested in the Ukrainian settlers, built a church in Vegreville in 1907 to attract the people. The Presbyterians did not get many families and in a short time closed their mission. Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky suggested to buy the vacant church (22’ x 36’) for our faithful. The cost was $1,000.00 – $200.00 were collected among the faithful, $300.00 were a gift from the Basilian Fathers in Mundare, and $500.00 were taken as a loan, secured by individual members. The church was relocated in 1925 and an addition was built in 1935.
In those years some pro-communist elements and also the Ukrainian Orthodox were trying to destabilize the highly patriotic community of the Ukrainian Catholics in Vegreville. The parishioners were always thankful to God for not having to fight for their church in civil courts.
The founders of the Parish were: M. Zaseybida, who looked after the church for many years and who died in 1926. Among other we find P. Kulmatytskyi, V. Kyryliuk, I. Petetskyi, F. Lemishka, S. Gulievych, P. Tymchuk and N. Nykyforuk.
Bishop Nykyta Budka visited the church twice and Bishop Ladyka in 1930 and 1937 and later the Eparchs of Edmonton paid many visits. In 1921 Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky of Lviv, Ukraine, was visiting the Parish.
The church property was incorporated in 1939. A Parish hall was blessed on May 14, 1939 by Fathers Naucratius Kryzanowsky and Mark Romanovych. The cemetery is owned by the town of Vegreville.
The Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate who were serving the community for many years decided in 1943 to establish a convent in Vegreville. Their hard work with children and the needy was highly appreciated by all the faithful. The Sisters were also teaching in the Separate School. Between 1947 and 1948 the parishioners decided to build a new church and the old church was sold to the Parish in Warwick. 40 dedicated families started to build the church supporting the construction with labour and money. Artist T. Baran did the artistic work in the church. It did not take long to have the number of the faithful increase to 480 families and the Basilian Fathers also decided to establish their monastery in Vegreville.
A Ladies Auxiliary group of St. Anne was very supportive of the parish activities and in 1948 joined the newly established Ukrainian Catholic Womens’ League of Canada, creating one of the strongest ladies organizations in the Eparchy.
Basilian Fathers who served the church community from the beginnings: Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar, Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Basil Kaminetsky, Fr. Mark Romanowych, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich, Fr. Neil Savaryn, Fr. Andrew Truch, Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn, Fr. Modest Gnesko, Fr. Vital Pidskalny, Fr. Jerome Chimy, Fr. Bernard Dribnenky, Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk, Fr. Eugene Bilyk, Fr. Victor Soroka, Fr. Matthew Sianchuk, Fr. Myron Daciuk, Fr. Soter Pidskalny, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Damien Weleschuk, Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk, Fr. Methodius Nychka, Fr. Soter Junyk, Fr. Josaphat Konchak, Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk, Fr. Vincent Prychidko, Fr. Roman Kravec, Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo, Fr. Daniel Wach, Fr. Justin Ewaschyshyn.
Parish: St. John the Baptist
48 Street and 50th Avenue
History of the Parish: St. JOHN the BAPTIST Parish – Парафія св. Івана ХрестителяOriginally the Ukrainian Catholic faithful of the town of Lamont, who arrived here in 1912, were attending the churches in Chipman, Star and Skaro. The first settler and his family (Nykola Markovskyi) arrived from the village Rusiv, Sniatyn district.
In 1937 Fr. Matthew Sianchuk, OSBM, had the Divine Liturgy at the home of J. Letawsky, and later Fr. Nicholas Kohut, OSBM, in the home of Pylyp Pavliuk. In 1940 after the Christmas celebration the parishioners had their first Parish meeting, presided by Fr. Kohut. The following were elected to the new parish council: Mr. Vasyl Ozibko (vice-president), Mr. P. Pavliuk secretary) and Dmytro Horpyniuk (treasurer). A few days later 3 acres of land were acquired behind the school for $100.00. The official transfer of the land happened on June 16, 1941. The Praznyk (feast of St. John the Baptist following the Julian calendar) was celebrated by Fr. Kohut in the presence of hundreds of faithful from the surrounding areas. The first Parish picnic was held on the newly acquired land. In 1941 the parishioners purchased a school building for $150.00; transfer of the school was $195.00 and the foundation $130.00.
The history of the parish is connected with the Basilian Fathers in Mundare. From there the spiritual assistance was given by Fathers: Matthew Sianchuk (1937-1938), Nicholas Kohut (1937-1940), Lawrence Dzygolyk (1941-1942), Epiphany Paschak (1943), Mark Romanowych (1944), Gregory Chmilar (1944), Eugene Bilyk (1944-1945), Orest Zaseybida (1945-1946), Gregory Chmilar (1946), Benjamin Baranyk (1947), Victor Soroka (1948), Sylvester Kuzel (1980-1983), Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), John Sembrat (1994-1995), Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Theodosius Machinski (1997-1999), Matthew Drury (2000-2006) and Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).
Two Eparchial priests also served the community: Basil Chopey (1949-1952) and Eugene Dmytruk (1953-1980).
The Parish also provided our Church with vocations: Fr. Stephen Chmilar (later Bishop of Toronto, Ont.), Basilian priests: Josaphat Tyrkalo, Damien Weleshchuk, Mark Zazula; and Sr. Taida Mary Letawsky, SSMI.
Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)
St . JOHN BAPTIST Parish – Парафія св. Івана Хрестителя
Borschiw Parish is located in Haight, the County of Beaver Hill (S/E Sec 10 Twp. 51 Rge 16 4 M). The parish was established in 1903 and in 1905 the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Fr. Platonid Filas, OSBM. Forty acres of land were acquired for a church, a National Hall (Narodnyi Dim) and a cemetery (4 acres). The cemetery was purchased first, for $10.00, collected by parishioners and given to Fr. Filas. The parishioners managed to have the property registered under: Greek-Catholic Parish in Borschiw. The first settlers who arrived from Borshchiv District in Western Ukraine were: J. Bartman, P. Deputan, I. Kalynchuk, I. Petryga, M. Kyryliuk, I. Slyvka, V. Pochynok, S. Osadchuk, I. Rurka, T. Pidoborozhnyi, M. Korpan and V. Pavliy. From the beginning the cantors were: Baraniuk, J. Bartman, V. Shyba and I. Hrabec. In 1934 a choir was organized with the following conductors: H. Terebenets, S. Rurka, I. Semeniuk and Y. Matviyiv.
The parishioners built the first church for $1,500.00. The new church with five domes was built for $9,000.00 by S. Hayduk and S. Gara in 1939 (80’ x 30’) in a shape of a cross and was completely finished and painted. On the church property there is a monument commemorating the 75 th anniversary of the Ukrainian settlement. Two bells are built-in into the gates of the property.
The first bishop who visited the parish was Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1916 followed by Bishop Basil Ladyka in 1934. Later Bishops Neil Savaryn, Demetrius Greschuk, Myron Daciuk and Lawrence Huculak visited the community. The Parish was for many years a very dynamic congregation with many children attending the services.
The following vocations came from the parish: future Bishop of Saskatoon Most Rev. Basil Filevich, Fr. Peter Hrabec, OSBM, Fr. Evtimy Wolinski, a Studite monk, and Sister Cassianna Slywka, SSMI.
The Basilian Fathers have served the parish from the beginning: Fr. Platonid Filas, Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Athanasius Filipiw, Fr. Alexander Krochmalny, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. Josaphat Jean, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Andrew Truch, Fr. Benjamin Baranyk, Fr. Ireneus Procenty, Fr. Victor Soroka, Fr. Eugene Bilyk, Fr. Irenej Nazarko (1946-1948), Fr. Vital Pidskalny (1948-1949), Fr. Athanasius Chimy and Fr. Jerome Chimy (1949-1951), Fr. Epiphany Paschak and Fr. Nicon Swirsky (1952), Fr. Modest Gnesko (1953-1957), Fr. Myron Daciuk (1957-1959), Fr. Cornelius Pasichny (1959-1963), Fr. Eugene Bilyk (1963-1964), Fr. Joseph Krupp (1964-1965), Fr. Severian Yakymyshyn (1964-1965), Fr. Flavian Kalba (1965-1966), Fr. Orest Slobodian (1967- ), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1970-1977), Fr. Stephen Chmilar (1972-1973), Fr. Harry Borecky (1973-1976), Fr. Anthony Holowaychuk (1976-1978), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1978-1980), Fr. Myron Chimy (1988), Fr. Josaphat Konchak (1983-1987, 1989-2003), Fr. John Sembrat (2003-).
Location: Krakow, Alberta
PROTECTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Покрови Матері Божої
The Parish is located 95 km. east of Edmonton and 19 km. north & 5 km. west of Mundare. The first settlers arrived in 1898 from the Brody (35 families) and Chortkiv regions (2 families) in Ukraine. Some lucky ones brought with them $20.00 and others even less. The church building (40’ x 20’) was started in 1918 and the enlargement was done in 1922. The completion of the work was in 1928. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in a private home by Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky.
In 1913 Nykola Stelmach, Kazymyr Lamash, Myron Koroliuk, Havrylo Prokopchuk, Ksenka Laschuk, Ilia Yakymyshyn and Polko Vicyntowych got together and decided to buy 4 acres of land for the cemetery (Pl. 24-55-17), that was incorporated in 1917. A group of people, organized by a self proclaimed preacher by the name Kudryk, organized their own congregation 3 km. north of the cemetery. Most of the people were originally from the Sniatyn region in Ukraine. A community hall, 6 km. west from the cemetery was acquired, transferred on the cemetery property and adopted to serve as a Ukrainian Catholic church. The approximate cost was $600.00. A well known artist, Petro Lypynsky of Edmonton, painted the outside of the church; the inside was done by P. Matiash. The first choir director was Ivan Stadnyk, who in the summer months was teaching Ukrainian. The Parish also owned a Narodnyi dim (National hall), which was burned down one week before the great gathering of the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada in 1938. But the faithful rebuilt the hall in a very short time.
Among the many Basilian Fathers who served the Parish were: Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Neil Savaryn (1935-1938?), Fr. Athanasius Chimy, Fr. Nicon Swirsky (1952), Fr. Martin Pryma and Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1952-1955), Fr. Eugene Kushko and Fr. Cornelius Pasichny (1955-1957), Fr. Myron Chimy (1963-1964), Fr. Severian Yakymyshyn (1967-1969), Fr. Josaphat Konchak, Fr. Myron Chimy (1970-2003) and Fr. John Sembrat (2003- ).
St. MICHAEL – St . NICHOLAS Parish – Парафія св. о. Миколая
Location: Lot 35, Bl. 55, Pl. 18. The church has 40 acres of land (25 acres are farm land) and is 6.5 km. south-east from the town of St. Michael. The first settlers arrived in 1896 (I. Danchuk, I. IUrkiv, IU. Khomliak and L. Protsinskyi families) from Brody and Chortkiv Region of Western Ukraine. Most of the parishioners were living some miles away in Wostok. Between 1897 and 1901 another 19 families arrived from Ukraine. Fr. Nestor Dmytriw, the first Ukrainian Catholic priest in Canada, arrived from the United States in 1896. In 1898 with the support of Fr. Paul Tymkewych the community decided to buy 10 acres of land ($10.00) for their church. Fr. Tymkewych, after incorporating the land for the future Parish, left for the United States. Starting in 1900 Fr. Ivan Zaklynskyi looked after the spiritual needs of the Parish. He stayed in homes of I. Danchuk, V. Hryniv and Sobko Andrukhiv. There was one more Eparchial clergy, Fr. Basil Zholdak, who created a membership list of the faithful and then went back to Ukraine. From the proud beginnings of the Ukrainian Catholic community in Canada, we see from some memoires how some elements were trying to hurt our faithful: “In those times several agents of Russia were infiltrating our people. Many times dressed in black cassocks and long beards and hair, they were disseminating Russian imperialism under the cover of orthodoxy. There was a batiushka (priest) M. Korchynskyi who started his church in Wostok. He was supported by Fr. Krokhmalnyi, a suspended Ukrainian Catholic priest, who purposely was disorienting the faithful. Some of our parishioners, disoriented by these agents, tried to get this Orthodox priest into our community. Here started the dark page of our history. Confrontations, frictions and court battles ended in 1918. Finally in those days a chapel was built in Wostok to shelter the altar from wind and sun. Later a residence was built, and the parishioners started to collect the building materials for their first church”.
First church building – In 1903 Fr. Anthony Strotsky, OSBM, started to visit the faithful in the Wostok district and under his initiative the faithful collected the necessary material to build their first church (20’ x 26’) and residence in 1904. From 1903 Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, OSBM, consecrated the church in 1904, and he was followed by Fathers Athanasius Filipiw, Naucratiius Kryzanowsky and Sozont Dydyk. In 1910 the parishioners welcomed our highest Church leader from Ukraine, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky of Lviv. The overnight stay was provided by Mr. I. Starko. The head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church realized at once the destructive work of the Russian “batiushky” (clergy), whose purpose was not to build the religious life but to destroy it. The churches at that time were incorporated not as part of a religious entity, i.e. the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, but their ownership was given to the trustees. The Russian emissaries were trying to influence the trustees of the churches. Having their support they were transferring the ownership of our churches to their jurisdictions. Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, a holy man, realized that the sacrifices of our faithful were enormous. He asked the priests and the faithful to secure the property by incorporating it under the Catholic chapter. Bishop Nykyta Budka paid a visit to the Parish in 1914 having the Divine Liturgy at Anton Sloboda’s house. For seven years Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky celebrated the Divine liturgy in the house of Mr. A. Sloboda, until the church was incorporated under the Catholic chapter.
New church building – This was the first red brick church in Northern Alberta. K. Sheremeta was the building contractor. The building costs were $11,000.00. The architectural structure was a copy of a typical Ukrainian church in Ukraine. The church is looked after very well. Fr. George Zydan, OSBM, was supportive in building the National Hall (Narodnyi Dim) and establishing the Fr. Markian Shashkevych Society. Thanks to the efforts of Fr. Neil Savaryn the church was painted on the inside, a bell tower was built, and a new organization of the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood (UCBC) was established. The consecration of the church was planned for May 24, 1925 but the weather did not permit it. On October 25, 1925 the church was consecrated. On July 10, 1932 and on May 25, 1941 the parish was visited by the Bishop of the Ukrainian Catholics in Canada. Among many outstanding families in the parish one parishioner should be remembered here. Petro Paltsat who discovered that a counterfeit rubber stamp was being used on behalf of the Russian Orthodox Church to forge the documents and who presented the court with substantial evidence in that matter. Thanks to his sharp mind justice to the Ukrainian faithful was recognized in 1918. The Parish has its own cemetery (2 acres) close to the church. The whole community, through many years of turbulence in the past, preserved its identity as an outstanding Parish community in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada.
There have been religious vocations from the parish: Four Basilian Fathers: Boniface Sloboda, Damian Weleshchuk, Ignatius Holowaychuk and Anthony Holowaychuk; two Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate: Sr. Zoya Frances Yurkiw and Sr. Boniface Julia Sloboda.
The following Basilian Fathers served the Parish: Anthony Strotsky, Josaphat Tymochko, Athanasius Filipiw, Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Sozont Dydyk, Basil Ladyka, Sophron Diakowich, George Zydan, Paul Olinsky, Neil Savaryn and Ignatius Lesiuk.
From 1950 to 1982 Fr. Eugene Dmytruk served the Parish. Fr. Dmytruk arrived from Germany, where he escaped at the end of World War II with his wife Neonila, their sons and daughter.
Location: Skaro, Alberta
History of the Parish: EXALTATION of the HOLY CROSS Parish – Церква Воздвиження Чесного Хреста
Location S.E. 1-57-20-4. Ukrainian settlements in the region were organized in 1898. The first church was built in 1911; the second in 1945-1950 (72’x30’, brick, bell tower, cost $46,190.92). The church was consecrated on August 11, 1963 by the late Bishop Neil Savaryn and with the assistance of Fathers: Ivanec, Dmytruk, Hurko and N. Swirsky, OSBM. The whole church property, cemetery included, has 20 acres.
The 40 acres of land assigned by the county for the church and the cemetery was blessed by Fr. Paul Tymkevych on August 6 th, 1898. Nobody would have ever dreamed that the Russian Orthodox Church would divide the community into two groups. The county refused to divide the land, so the Ukrainian Greek Catholics would have their peace of land. Mr. Ivan Kit, a leader in the Ukrainian Catholic community, together with IUrko Onushko appealed to the government, stating their right to be partners in the land. They hired a lawyer and the Ukrainian Catholics won half of the property (north portion was given to the Orthodox and southern portion to the Ukrainian Catholics. By 1911 there was a building fund with the first donors. We must remember that at the same time in Star there was a similar confrontation and that after many good and honest efforts the Ukrainian Catholic side lost their appeal in the courts. Many of the people were forced to pay the court expenses in hundreds of dollars. Today we admire the parishioners of Skaro for their courage and pride in looking to the future. The good parishioners survived all the obstacles and with dedication achieved their goals.
The Parish welcomed on September 27, 1917 and April 3, 1923 Bishop Nykyta Budka; September 27, 1929 Bishop Basil Ladyka; August 26, 1951 Bishop Neil Savaryn. The Parish had two priestly vocations to the Basilian Order: Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo and Basil Skubleny ; one Sisters Servant of Mary Immaculate, Sister Theophane Malowany, SSMI.
Fr. Nestor Dmytriw celebrated the first Divine Liturgy at Limestone Lake School in 1897. Fr. Paul Tymkewych served in 1898-1899 and Fr. John Zaklynsky in 1900-1901 and 1903.
The following Basilian Fathers provided the services: Fr. Athanasius Filipiw and Fr. John Tymochko (1904-1910); Fr. Anthony Strotsky (1911-1916); Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky and Fr. Basil Ladyka (1917-1919); Fr. Sozont Dydyk (very often), Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar, Fr. John Teodoroych, Fr. George Zydan and Fr. Sophron Diakowich (1920-1929); Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Paul Olinsky (1930); Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1931); Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky and Fr. George Zydan (1932); Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Nicon Horechko and Fr. Neil Savaryn (1933); Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Mark Romanowych, Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (most of the time) (1934-1935); Fr. Lazarus Palenkach, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Athanasius Chimy and Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1936-1938); Fr. Nicholas Kohut and Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk (1939); Fr. Athanasius Chimy, Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk, Fr. Nicholas Kohut, Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk, Fr. Markian Pasichnyk and Fr. Neil Savaryn (1940); Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk (1941-1942); Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk and Fr. George Zydan (1943); Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1944); Fr. Gregory Chmilar and Fr. Andrew Truch (1945-1946); Fr. Hilarion Adams, Fr. Eugene Bilyk, Fr. Sergio Fedyniak, Fr. Marian Horishny, Fr. Damascene Popovych and Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk (1947-1948).
Then came a period of the Eparchial clergy: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949-1957) and Fr. Peter Iwanec (1957-1972).
rom 1972 the Basilian Fathers continued their services to the community: Fr. Raphael Melnyk, Fr. Soter Pidskalny and Fr. Severian Yakymyshyn (June 25 – Sept. 10, 1972; Fr. Josaphat Konchak (Oct. 1972 – Oct. 3, 1973); Fr. Myron Chmilar and Fr. Stephen Chmilar (Apr. 1, 1973 – Oct. 3, 1982); Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (Apr. 1, 1973 – Oct. 3, 1982); Fr. Vincent Prychidko (Feb. 2, 1986 – Jan. 19, 1986); Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (Nov. 5, 1986 – Oct. 12, 1988); Fr. Daniel Wach (Oct. 6, 1988 – Aug. 20, 1991); Fr. Paul Chomnycky (Oct. 6, 1991 – Oct. 4, 1992); Fr. John Sembrat (Oct. 4, 1992 – Nov. 6, 1994); Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (Dec. 11, 1994 – Feb. 4, 1996); Fr. Myron Chimy (March 25 – Aug. 15, 1996); Fr. Theodosius Machinski (Oct. 6, 1996 – Sept. 1999); Fr. John Sembrat (Sept. 1999 – 2000); Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006); Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).
History of the Parish: ASSUMPTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Успіння Матері Божої
Location: NW Sect. 28, T. 56, Pl. 19-4: 8 acres of land, cemetery included, was purchased in 1909. The district of Star was known also as Edna or Beaver Creek. The Ukrainian settlers who populated the area from 1894 came primarily from the villages of Nebyliv and Perehinsk, Kalush region, in Western Ukraine. In 1897 Fr. Nestor Dmytriw, who was a publisher of the Ukrainian newspaper in the U.S.A., “Svoboda”, came to visit Ukrainian settlers in Winnipeg, Stuartburn and Terebovlia (today Valley River close to Dauphin, Manitoba) and Edna-Star in Alberta. Fr. Nestor Dmytriw arrived in Edna-Star on Good Saturday on April 24, 1897. The Resurrection Liturgy on Easter Sunday and Monday he celebrated in Limestone Lake and blessed the paskha food for the large numbers of faithful. On Easter Tuesday Fr. Nestor was in Wostok and held services in the house of Ivan Halka. Day after day he was visiting the whole district. On May 2, 1897, St. Thomas Sunday, Fr. Dmytriw blessed the cemetery and asked the faithful to put a fence on the property designated by the government for religious needs. He asked also to put up a cross. At the same time the first Parish council was chosen (Kost Nemyrsky, Ivan Danchuk, Mykhailo Melnyk, Ivan Sakhman, Mykhailo Pulishy and secretary Mykola Spachynsky) and the first collection for the “Greek-Catholic Church in Beaver Creek” (exactly so!) brought in $5.00.
In August 1897 the new Auxiliary Bishop of St. Albert (from 1912 of Edmonton), Alberta, Emile Joseph Legal, O.M.I. (1849-1920) came for a pastoral visit to the community. He was very supportive and promised to get a Ukrainian priest as soon as possible. In the fall of 1897 Fr. Dmytriw returned to Edna-Star for three weeks. The Roman Catholic Bishop came for the Divine Liturgy of Fr. Dmytriw and offered to pay for the land of the church. By paying for the land he also transferred the title to the St. Albert Diocese. Very soon the Roman Catholic hierarchy realized that the Ukrainian Catholics were very suspicious of them. And Bishop Emile Legal, who tried to do some good, had to recognize that the Ukrainian faithful had had bad experiences with the Polish Catholics in their homeland. So the land title was returned to the Parish trustees, who in turn after a short time of peace left the Ukrainian Catholic Church and joined the Russian Orthodox Church.
During the Christmas season in January 1898 the faithful were visiting the houses with koliada (Christmas carols). This brought the church $42.00. In the spring of the same year the parishioners started to build the church with Fr. Paul Tymkewych and in the fall of 1898 the building was completed. After a short stay Fr. Tymkewych left for the United States, and the faithful were meeting without a priest, singing Utrenia (Matins service), Vechirnia (Vespers) and religious songs. In February 1900 the news arrived that Fr. John Zaklynsky from the United States was available to come as a priest. He arrived on July 20, 1900 and on August 5 th in the presence of many people blessed the new church, the first Ukrainian Catholic church in Canada. Fr. Zaklynsky being very dynamic started to organize other church communities. He settled at the home of Fedor Melnyk, vis-à-vis of the church. Shortly after, the fight for the church started.
Ukrainian Greek Catholics who left their holy faith and joined the Russian orthodoxy started to build a church in Wostok. The services were provided by the Russian clergy Skebitski and to his support they received also Korchinski from Alaska in November 1900. Korchinski also spoke Ukrainian and was a good organizer. He carried “healing water” and in that way attracted much attention. The Russian clergy was paid by the Russian Imperial fund, created after Alaska was sold to the United States. One of the two first settlers to Canada Ivan Pylypiv and others started to find interest in the Russian orthodoxy, that offered clergy free of charge. The final reason for the split was the fact that $74.00 were missing from the treasurer Fedor Melnyk’s accounts. Blamed was Fr. Zaklynsky, who was forced to assign a new Parish executive on December 18, 1900: Pavlo Pasemko, Petro Melnyk, Mykhailo Pidruchny and Mykhailo Melnyk. Then the friends of the orthodoxy declared: “We have the title of the land, we built the church and we cared for it and now we have to back off. Never!” Pylypiv and his associates went to Wostok and on February 1, 1901 renounced their Greek Catholic Church in public and accepted the orthodoxy. Fr. I. Zaklynsky, disappointed with the conflict, went to Manitoba in 1901. Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky of Lviv, Ukraine, sent Fr. Basil Zholdak to investigate the situation in Edna-Star. He celebrated Easter with the faithful in an improvised chapel with a tabernacle (Kyvot) from Ukraine. In the late fall Fr. Zholdak returned from Lviv with three Basilian Fathers and four Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate. Nine days after arrival in Edmonton, Fr. Platonid Filas, OSBM, assigned Fr. Anthony Strotsky to look after the parish. Later other Basilian Fathers were visiting the community. Mykola Tyckowsky donated 2 pieces of his farm land: one for the church and one for the cemetery and in 1909 the good faithful started to build a new church. The spiritual leader Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, visiting Canada in 1910, personally came to meet the outstanding and heroic community and blessed the cross for the dome. Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, OSBM, looked after the people at this time and took care of the construction of the church. Their second church the parishioners dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ. The church was completed in 1911 and it was blessed by the first Ukrainian Catholic bishop in Canada Nykyta Budka in 1913.
But somebody was not happy that the Ukrainian Catholic community survived the provoked and premeditated split, and on the night before Good Thursday in 1922 burned the church to ashes. Yurij Melnyk found in the ashes only a few pressed icons of Jesus Christ and His Most Holy Mother Mary, the four evangelists and some metallic parts of the Holy Gospel from the altar. The cross, blessed by Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky and which is now attached to the wall of the new church, survived the destruction. The dedicated parishioners did not give up. For the small amount of money received from the insurance company they started to build their third church. S. Malowany, son of Mykola, organized an artistic group (leader was Kasian Letawsky), who performed a Ukrainian drama “Pibralysia”. In 1926, with the donations from their performances and donations of the parishioners, they started to build the church that stands today. L.Checkniat was the contractor. The church was built close to the cemetery on the farm of Tyckowsky. The church is dedicated to the Assumption (in the Eastern church we use the word Dormition – in Ukrainian Uspennia) of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church was completed in 1927 and in 1930 P. Lypynsky also finished the painting of the church. On the feast day of the church, Bishop Basil Ladyka, OSBM, consecrated the church. On October 9 th, 1938 the first priest from the parish, Fr. Basil Skubleny, OSBM, celebrated his first Divine Liturgy.
The Parish gave our Church two Basilian Fathers: Fr. Basil Skubleny (+1940 in Rome) and Fr. Boniface Malowany who celebrated his first Divine Liturgy in the Parish on July 16, 1961. Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate also had vocations: Sisters Suzanne Kokuruds, Basil Starko, Theophane Malowany, Taida Letawsky, and Veronica, Maria and Theresa Melnyk.
From the beginnings we have the following Eparchial priests: Fr. Nestor Dmytriw (1897), Fr. Paul Tymkewych (1898), Fr. John Zaklynsky (1900-1901).
Starting from 1902 the Basilian Fathers looked after the parish: Fr. Anthony Strotsky (1902-1904), Fr. Platonid Filas (1904), Fr. Athanasius Filipiw (1905-1906), Fr. John Chrysostom Tymochko (1905-1909), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1910-1912, 1917-1922 and 1930), Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1915-1917, 1920-1922 and 1926-1929), Fr. Matthew Hura (1916), Fr. Basil Ladyka (1914-1921), Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1922), Fr. George Zydan (1926-1927, 1932 and 1942), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1929-1931), Fr. Damascene Popovych (1930), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1931), Fr. Mark Romanowych (1933), Fr. Nicon Horechko (1933), Fr. Paul Hewko (1933 and 1936), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1934-1936), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1933-1937), Fr. Lazarus Palenkach (1936-1937), Fr. Neil Savaryn (1937), Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo (1937-1938, 1942), Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1938-1940), Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk (1943), Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1944-1945), Fr. Gregory Chmilar (1944-1946), Fr. Orest Zaseybida (1945), Fr. Hilarion Adams (1947-1948), Fr. Patrick Paschak (1948, Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk 1949).
In 1949-1956 Fr. Basil Chopey and from 1957 to 1968 Fr. Peter Iwanec, both Eparchial clergy, were serving the community.
Again from 1968 Basilian fathers continue to provide spiritual care of the parish: Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1968-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1984-1987), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-1999), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006) and Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).
History of the Parish: NATIVITY of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Різдва Пресв. Богородиці
Location: Section 12, Bl. 58, Pl. 20 (15 km. from Waskatenau and 33 km. from Lamont). Ukrainian settlers arrived from the Jaroslav district (Liubyn, Zveniach, Peremyshl, Ninovych). The first services were held in private homes and conducted by the Basilian Fathers. In 1914 the parishioners built their chapel on 3 acres of land, donated by Stefan and Teklia Senyshyn. Three years later it was decided to build a church (60’ x 40’) in the form of a cross with one central dome in the centre. The inside painting was done by Petro Lypynskyi, who painted many churches in our Eparchy. The building organizers were: P. Senyshyn, D. Kotyliak and P. Derevianka. There were 21 families in the parish and every one of them promised to donate $30.00 for the building fund. Special effort was made by S. Senyshyn, I. Halas, P.O. Senyshyn, A. Turko, T. Popyk, P. Derevianka, D. Kotyliak, P. Malowany, P. Kozak and others to finish the construction of the new church. Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky blessed the land and the cemetery in 1916 and started to build in 1918. The church was completely finished in 1928 for approximately $4,000.00. The bell tower was built in 1940 by an immigrant from Yugoslavia by the name Shatina for $75.00. The labor was done mainly by the parishioners. The bell, named “Maria”, was a gift of Petro and Oleksa Senyshyn in 1930. The land with the church and cemetery were incorporated with the Ukrainian Catholic Church in 1926.
The parish had two vocations to the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate – Sister Andrea Synyshyn and Sister Josepha Synyshyn.
The following Basilian clergy were providing the services: Fr. Basil Ladyka (1913-1918 & 1921), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1910-1922 & 1930-1931), Fr. Matthew Hura (1915 & 1917), Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1916, 1919-1920 & 1922-1929), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1925 & 1929), Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1922-1923, 1929), Fr. Damascene Popovych (1930-1931, 1941), Fr. Nicon Horechko (1931-1933), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1931), Fr. Mark Romanovych (1933), Fr. Basil Kamenetsky (1930 & 1933-1934), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1933-1934), Fr. George Zydan (1932, 1942-1943), Fr. Paul Hewko (1932 & 1936), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1935 & 1937, 1943), Fr. Lazarus Palenkach (1937), Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1937-1940), Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk (1936), Fr. Athanasius Chimy (1938 & 1941), Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk (1940), Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk (1941), Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk (1941), Fr. Bernard Dribnenky (1942), Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1943-1944), Fr. Marian Horishny (1946-1947), Fr. Modest Gnesko (1946), Fr. Sergio Fedyniak (1947), Fr. Hilarion Adams (1948), Fr. Benjamin Baranyk (1949), Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk (1949), Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1972-1973), Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1973-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-2000), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006- ). Three Eparchial clergy served the Parish: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949-1957), Fr. Eugene Dmytruk (1950) and Fr. Peter Iwanec (1957-1971).
Location: Chipman, Alberta
History of the Parish: NATIVITY of the BVM Parish – Парафія Різдва Пресв. Богородиці
In 1890 2 families of V. Eleniak and I. Pylypiv settled in that region. Many others joined them from Kalush, Yaroslav, Sniatyn and Brody regions in Ukraine.
The first church was built in 1900 3.5 km. from Chipman (Sect. 28 – 54 – 18). Due to conflicts among parishioners, the church building was taken away from the Ukrainian Catholics and given to the Orthodox. The value of the church was approx. $3,000.00 and $1,200.00 were given to the Ukrainian Catholics. This money was given to the treasurer Michael Romaniuk, who kept it until the new church was built. The second church was completed in 1916 in the town of Chipman on 6 acres of land. The church (80’ x 30’) was blessed by Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1918. The contractor was Yanyshevsky and parishioners paid $6,000.00 for the building. Peter Lypynsky painted the church white in 1928. Our Ukrainian traditional iconostasis was installed in 1922 by Pylyp Pawliuk and it was renovated in 1967 by E. Letawsky.
In 1954 a monument was dedicated to the two first settlers from Ukraine V. Eleniak and I. Pylypiw and blessed by Bishop Neil Savaryn.
The cemetery has 2.5 acres of land, was blessed by Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1924 thanks to N. Andriyiv. Close to the church there is a National Hall (Narodnyi dim) (90’ x 32’) originally worth $25,000.00.
In 1962 a 49 member choir was formed with choir director Yakiv Matviy. It performed on many occasions. The choir performed also on radio and TV.
Bishops Nykyta Budka (1918, 1921, 1925), Bas іl Ladyka (Sept.21, 1929, Sept. 7, 1941), Neil Savaryn (Dec. 10, 1967, etc.), Myron D аciuk and Lawrence Huculak paid frequent visits to the church community.
The Parish during the years donated for religious and community purposes and a gift of $1,000.00 for the hospital in Mundare. In the flourishing years, not only the choir but also BUCC, UCWLC and UCYC, a theatre group “Zorya” and Taras Shevchenko Society were part of church life. The parish is no longer served on a regular basis.
The following Basilian Fathers were serving the Parish: Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Neil Savaryn, Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk, Fr. Juvenalis Slota (1949- ), Fr. Gregory Chmilar and Fr. Epiphany Pashchak (1952), Fr. Orest Kupranec (1953), Fr. Eugene Kushko and Fr. Borys Lysak (1954-1956), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1957- ), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1970-1971, 1977, 2001- ), Fr. Harry Boretsky (1976), Fr. Josaphat Konchak (1986-1987, 1989-2000), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).
Location: Delph, Alberta
History of the Parish: PRESENTATION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Введення в храм Пренепорочної Діви Марії
Location: Lot 18, Bl. 58, Plan 18 (3 acres of land donated by Stefan Rudko; 19 km. from Waskatenau and 24 km. from St. Michael). Ukrainians from Zvenach, Skomorokh and Strebanhobichi (district of Chortkiv) in Ukraine began to settle in this locality in 1900. The church was incorporated in 1911. The old church was demolished and a new church was built in 1917. Inside painting was done by Petro Lypynskyi in 1925. The Parish welcomed Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1925 and Bishop Basil Ladyka in 1929. There is a cemetery 150 m. from the church building. William F. Melnyk donated 3 acres of land in 1912 which was blessed by Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, OSBM. The church and the hall (Narodnyi dim built in 1929) were the centre of parish and community life.From 1913 until 1948 the parish was served by the Basilian Fathers, and then the Eparchial clergy served it from 1949 until 1979. Starting in 1980 the Basilian Fathers again are looking after the parish. Services are held monthly. The parish provided our Church with two vocations: Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, OSBM, and Sr. Esther Marie Kurylo, SSMI. For many years Joe Borys served as cantor.The Basilian Fathers who served the Parish on different occasions: Fr. Basil Ladyka (1913-1921), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1913-1923 and 1929-1931), Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1915-1929), Fr. Matthew Hura (1916 & 1919), Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1923 & 1929), Fr. George Zydan (1927, 1931-1932, 1942-1943), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1929 & 1931), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1930-1931), Fr. Nicon Horechko (1931-1933), Fr. Paul Hewko (1933 & 1936), Fr. Basil Kamenetsky (1930 & 1934), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1932-1934), Fr. Damascene Popovych (1930-1932 & 1937), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1935-1936 & 1942-1953), Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk (1936 & 1944), Fr. Lazarus Palenkach (1936-1937), Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk (1938), Fr. Athanasius Chimy (1938), Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1937-1940 & 1943), Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk (1940-1941), Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk (1941-1943), Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1943-1944), Fr. Ggregory Chmilar (1944-1946), Fr. Josaphat Jean (1945), Fr. Sebastian Kurylo (1946), Fr. Sergio Fedyniak (1947), Fr. Marian Horishny (1946-1947), Fr. Hilarion Adams (1947-1948), Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1979-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-1999), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006- ).The Eparchial clergy who served the community were: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949) and Fr. Eugene Dmytruk (1950-1979).
Location: Maskalyks Spasa, Alberta
TRANSFIGURATION Parish – Парафія Преображення Господнього
Location: Section 36, Bl. 53, Pl. 16 W, 4M (12 km. north east of Mundare – 40 acres of land were given to the church by the government. It is often called Church on Moskalyk property (“Tserkva na Moskalyku” or “Tserkva na Moskalykakh”) in honour of Hryhoriy Moskalyk, born in Volchkivtsi, district of Sniatyn, Western Ukraine. He came to Canada in 1899, and retired later in Myrnam, Alberta. At the beginning there were 35 active members and 25 non active. After the First World War in the twentieth century there were approximately 1,000 people of Ukrainian descent: 200 Ukrainian Catholic, some Orthodox members so called “svystuny” (under leadership of Svystun), many communists and non believers. Founders of the parish were people from two districts in Ukraine: Sniatyn and Brody, e.g. Ivan Zvarych from Tulova, Sniatyn district arrived in Canada in 1900; A. Zaozirnyi, Chmiliar and Petro Siratskyi came from Bilivtsi, Brody district, also in 1900. Petro Siratskyi was especially dedicated to the church, the clergy and sponsored a new 750 kg. church bell for $950.00 in 1939. People like Oleksa Lesiuk, Semen Gulievych and Yosyf Tymchyshyn arrived in 1899 from the Brody district. The first spiritual care was provided by a Polish priest, Fr. Francis Olszewski. The first Ukrainian Catholic priest who served the community was Fr. John Zaklynsky from Star and had services in the homes of I. Zvarych, Petro Siratskyi or Oleksa Lesiuk. From 1903 or 1904 the Basilian Fathers (Fr. Platonid Filas, etc.) provided the services. A small church (36’ x 20’) was built in 1904 and served the community until 1924 when a new church (60’ x 46’) was erected, costing approximately $8,800.00. The church was painted by M. Lysakowsky in 1935. A church tower was added in 1938. In 1903 a cemetery, 4 acres of land, was acquired and blessed by Fr. Platonid Filas, OSBM.
For many years two Basilian Brothers were cantors: Br. Adrian Karpa and Br. J. Waryk. Other cantors were: W. Gregoriychuk and H. Terebenets.
Bishop Nykyta Budka visited the church in 1926 and Bishop Basil Ladyka in 1928.
The following vocations came from the Parish to the Basilian fathers: Dionisius and Lawrence Dzygolyk, Myron Daciuk and Stephen Chmilar, Sister Augustine Hawryluk, SSMI, and Sister Naucratia Hawryluk, SSMI.
Basilian Fathers looking after the Parish were: Fr. Platonid Filas, Fr. Mark Romanowych, Fr. Andrew Truch, Fr. Athanasius Chimy, Fr. Ireneus Procenty, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Orest Kupranec (1950-1954), Fr. Myron Daciuk (1955-1956), Fr. Soter Pidskalny (1957), Fr. Josaphat Konchak (1971-1972). From 1983: Fr. Myron Chimy, Fr. Sylvester Kuzel, Fr. Josaphat Konchak, Fr. Myron Krywucky, Fr. Vincent Prychidko, Fr. Juvenalis Slota; in 1984: Fr. Myron Chimy, Fr. Harry Boretsky, Fr. Josaphat Konchak, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Meletius Solovey, Fr. Vincent Prychidko, Fr. Myron Krywucky, Fr. Myron Chimy (1985-1986), Fr. Lawrence Huculak (1987-1996), Fr. Justin Ewaschyshyn (1997-2001), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (2001-).
St. DEMETRO Parish – Парафія св. Івана Хрестителя
Location: Section 15, T. 12, Pl. 15. 40 acres of hilly land donated by P. Seniuk and T. Boyko. Sometimes the church was called Seniuky in honour of the early farmers Peter and Apolonia Seniuk. Matviy and Paranka Gach arrived in Canada in 1899 and the place at that time was called Beaver Lake. The church is located 1.6 km. north, and 3.2 km. east of the town of Hilliard. It was incorporated under the Bishop’s chapter on August 2 nd, 1922 with the Parish executive of that time: Peter Kozak, Clement Kornitskyi, Ivan Pidmurnyi and Ivan Mayko. In the house of P. Pidmurnyi the first Parish meeting was held in 1902 with Fr. Planotides Filas, OSBM, presiding. The first Parish council members were: P. Seniuk (president), A. Hasij (vice-president), M. Gach (treasurer), I. Pidmurnyi (secretary). Some names of the first members are known to us: S. Ishchak, F. Skulsky, T. Napora, M. Mayko, T. Boyko, N. Muzychka, S. Kachur, V. Samiylo, D. Lazarenko, I. Nay, T. Koliada, P. Pidmurnyi, H. Ivaskiv, H. Kozak, V. Kvasnycia, M. Chmelyk, Kondratiuk, N. Makal, M. Andruchiw, V. Balash, D. Orenchuk, Ya. Struchynsky, P. Kotliarchuk, I. Budakovsky, D. Lazarenko, J. Kulij, V. Zapotichny, I. Lisovy, S. Sadovnyk, Ya. Polovy, Firmaniuk.
A Polish priest, Fr. Jan Zaklinski, in the absence of Ukrainian clergy, blessed the cemetery in 1900. The first chapel was constructed in 1903 for $380.00 ($300.00 for the material and $80.00 for the carpenter Dmytro Woloshyn). In 1925 Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky invited the faithful to build a new church. The church was built in 1926 and was blessed by the first bishop in Canada His Excellency Nykyta Budka. (Bishop Budka later returned to Ukraine and in 1945 was imprisoned by the Russian occupation forces in Western Ukraine and died as a martyr of the holy Church in a concentration camp in Siberia.) Shortly before the blessing of the church parishioner Ivan Nay suggested to name the church in honour of St. Nicholas, explaining that in the vicinity (8 km.) there is a church by the name of St. John the Baptist in Chipman. So the church has the legal description, title and the seal under the name of St. Nicholas. Realizing the St. Nicholas church in Chipman was a Russian Orthodox church, the parishioners returned to the original name of St. John the Baptist. The Parish has also a church hall. The church building was destroyed by fire on July 29, 2007.
The Basilian Fathers served the Parish from the earliest days: Fr. Platonid Filas, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Athanasius Filipiw, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar, Fr. Mark Romanovych, Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk, Fr. Juvenalis Slota (1949- ), Fr. Josaphat Skwarok and Fr. Joseph Chraplywy (1952-1954), Fr. Borys Lysak (1955), Fr. Eugene Kushko (1956), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1957), Fr. Josaphat Konchak (1971- ), Fr. Myron Chimy (1987), Fr. John Sembrat (2003-).
History of the Parish: St. MICHAEL Parish – Парафія св. Михаїла
The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in 1898 from the village of Strilkivtsi, of the district of Borshchiw in Ukraine. The church property is located on 4 acres of land (NW S.31-T.56-R.17-4M), 2 acres acquired in 1904 and the other 2 in 1939. The Parish was established in 1904 and the first church was built in 1909; the second church (60’ x 40’) was built in 1939 for $3,800.00. A church residence was also built in 1934. The church’s location was also known as Wostok (Iwasiuky). The distance from the Parish to Wostok is 9 km. and to St. Michael is 13 km. The church was incorporated under the Greek Catholic charter in Alberta by the trustees themselves in 1939.
The first settlers and founders of the church were: D. Iwasiuk, O. Buga, P. Schur, I. Schur, O. Stelmach, J. Stelmach, D. Tomyn, A. Romaniuk, V. Hluchy, V. Soloniuk, N. Cymbaliuk, T. Zazula, M. Knysh and V. Luchka.
The parishioners, thanks to their outstanding artistic leaders Anton Litawsky (1917) and from 1924 Stephen Romaniuk (son of Ukrainian pioneers) worked hard with the youth in preparing concerts for different occasions. Even drama presentations were gperformed for the many interested viewers. Thanks to the efforts of the community a National Hall (Narodnyi Dim) was built in 1934 (Pl.36-54-18-4). After World War II Dmytro Hutsul looked after the cultural events, being also a cantor (dyak) in the church.
Spiritual care was initially provided by a Polish priest, Fr. Francis Olshevski (1898-1904). From 1904 the Basilian Fathers from Mundare provided the spiritual care: Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1910, 1915-1923, 1926), Fr. Basil Ladyka (1915-1917 & 1919-1925), Fr. Anthony Strotsky, Fr. Matthew Hura (1915), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1910, 1915-1920), Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich (1922), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1922, 1926), Fr. George Zydan (1927-1928), Fr. Sozont Dyakowich (1927-1928), Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. Neil Savaryn (1935), Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Athanasius Chimy (1938-1940), Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Andrew Truch, Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk, Fr. Markian Pasichnyk, Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk, Fr. Orest Zaseybida (1944-1946), Fr. Victor Soroka (1945), Fr. Marian Horishny (1947), Fr. Tarcisius Iwanyshyn (1947), Fr. Patrick Paschak (1948).
The Eparchial clergy who served the community were: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949) and Fr. Eugene Dmytruk (1950-1980).
From 1980 the following Basilian Fathers served the Parish: Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1980-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-2000), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).