- 2015 Presbyteral Council meetings – May 11 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery Office), October 5.
- 2015 Clergy Conferences – May 12 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Basilian House of Studies), October 9.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 15-19, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master – Most Rev. Paul Chomnycky, Eparchy of Stamford.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 5-8 (Providence Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- The 6th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 3, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Avenue), Edmonton.The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God.Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; email@example.com.
- 2015 marks a year dedicated by Pope Francis to the promotion of consecrated life. The Eparchy of Edmonton is celebrating the Year of Consecrated Life with two special events:
- June 28, Annual Vidpust/Pilgrimage, Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare; and
- July 29, Day of Thanksgiving. 10:00 am Divine Liturgy and BBQ. Open only to Women and Men Religious, Monastics, and Eparchial Clergy and their families. Hosted by the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate at Saint Joseph Convent, Mundare. This day also marks the 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, a member of the Order of Saint Basil the Great.
In celebrating the Year of Consecrated Life, we join Pope Francis in thanking the religious, saying in the words of the Holy Father: “Thank you, for what you do and for your spirit of faith and your quest for service. Thanks for your testimony!”
- The World Meeting of Families will take place from September 22-25, followed by a Papal Visit of Pope Francis from September 26-27, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.The theme of the World Meeting of Families is “Love is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive.” Called together from all over the world in faithful celebration of the family, the sanctuary of love and life.The World Meeting of Families and Papal Visit are open to all faithful interested in participating. For additional information, visit www.worldmeeting2015.org.
- Pope Francis declared the celebration of an Extraordinary Holy Year. The Jubilee announcement was made during the homily of the penitential celebration with which he opened the “24 Hours for the Lord” initiative. This “Jubilee of Mercy” will commence with the opening of the Holy Door in the Vatican Basilica on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, 2015, and will conclude on November 20, 2016 with the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe.
- Pope Francis gave his assent to the canonical election by the Synod of Bishops the Ukrainian Catholic Church of Rev. Fr. Teodor (Taras) Martynyuk, M.S.U., as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Ternopil-Zboriv, Ukraine.The bishop-elect was born in Yaremche, Ukraine in 1974, gave his solemn vows in 1997 and was ordained a priest in 2000. He holds a doctorate in Oriental canon law from the Pontifical Oriental Institute, Rome. During his pastoral ministry, the bishop-elect served in various roles in the Lavra of Univ and the monastery of St. Michael in Lviv, and as a lecturer in Oriental canon law at the Pontifical Oriental Institute of Rome. He is currently Ihumen of the Lavra of the Dormition in Univ, Ukraine.
- The Catholic Organization for Life and Family (COLF) last fall announced a new campaign entitled Life-giving Love, whose purpose is to help the faithful understand the teaching of the Church pertaining to issues surrounding end-of-life care.The recent ruling of the Supreme Court of Canada that removed the legal prohibition against assisted suicide and euthanasia underscores the importance of this initiative. It is therefore an opportune moment to give this campaign strong local emphasis.A special website containing useful education resources has been created for the campaign. It is found at www.lifegivinglove.ca. In addition, COLF’s own website www.colf.ca contains a wealth of information relating to euthanasia and assisted suicide, including homily material
- Bishop David appointed Emilian Groch as a member of the Eparchial Finance Council.Emilian is a seasoned business executive, dynamic and visionary leader, with a proven track record in the pension-investment industry focused on: best-practice government, strategic planning, risk management, sound policy, customer service, efficiency and cost effectiveness. He established the Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund Board as a leading-edge organization in Canada and played a key role in the Canadian, employment-based, pension plan system.Emilian is a member of Saint George Parish, Edmonton.
- His Excellency Bishop David and the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a blessed and holy celebration of the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord. Христос Воскрес! Воістину Воскрес!
Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
- World Meeting of Families PrayerJoin together with families from around the world in prayer. Pray the World Meeting of Families Prayer each day with your family for the success of the event and for your family’s personal intentions:God and Father of us all,
in Jesus, your Son and our Savior,
you have made us
your sons and daughters
in the family of the Church.
May your grace and love
help our families
in every part of the world
be united to one another
in fidelity to the Gospel.
May the example of the Holy Family,
with the aid of your Holy Spirit,
guide all families, especially those most troubled,
to be homes of communion and prayer
and to always seek your truth and live in your love.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for us!
© 2015 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330