- As we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the appointment of Bishop-Martyr Nykyta Budka as the First Ukrainian Catholic Bishop in Canada, noteworthy are his December 6 arrival in Canada and his December 22 enthronement at Saint Nicholas Church, Winnipeg. To learn more about Bishop Budka’s arrival in Canada, visit Rev. Dr. Athanasius’ blog Annales Ecclesiae Ucrainae at: http://annalesecclesiaeucrainae.blogspot.it
- The Eparchy of Edmonton will host the “Third Annual Bishop’s Appeal” fundraising event on Thursday, December 6, Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton. The Appeal aims at providing financial support for the programs and activities of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta in carrying out the mission of Jesus Christ, that is, to preach the Good News of the Gospel Message.
- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on December 9. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being.And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- The National Day of Prayer for Aboriginal Peoples is celebrated each year on December 12, the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Latin Calendar).
Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, December 27, 11:00 am Divine Liturgy at Dormition of the Mother of God Parish, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children.
Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
- The 2012 Annual Parish Reports (general info, parish census and sacrament statistics) are to be forwarded to the Chancery Office prior to December 31, 2012.
Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31, 2013 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2012 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2012.
- The 99th World Day of Migrants and Refugees, “Migrations – Pilgrimage of Faith and Hope,” will be celebrated worldwide on January 15, 2013. Pope Benedict’s message for this occasion is available on the Vatican’s website at: www.vatican.va/
- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Chancery Office to schedule a time on Saturday, January 26, 2013 (1:00 pm – 4:00 pm).
- The Ukrainian Musical Society of Alberta will hold its annual Concert of Carols, 3:00 pm, Sunday, January 27, 2013, at Saint John Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral. Join Bishop David and Bishop Ilarion (Ukrainian Orthodox Church) on this festive occasion in celebrating the Nativity of Our Lord.
- Presbyteral Council meetings – March 4 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery); May 27, September 9 , November 4.
- Clergy Conferences – March 5; May 28, September 10 , November 5.
- 2013 Clergy Retreat – September 23-27 (Tentative), Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline
- 2013 Canada-wide Clergy, Clergy Wives and Women and Men Religious “Encounter” (Study Days) – June 24-27, Saskatoon; Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Bishop-martyr Nykyta Budka as the First Ukrainian Catholic Bishop in Canada. The Encounter will be followed by the National Conventions of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada and the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada from June 27-30 also in Saskatoon.
- 2013 Pilgrimage to Ukraine. His Beatitude Sviatoslav Invites You To Join Him Kyiv In 2013! His Beatitude our Patriarch Sviatoslav has invited the faithful of the Ukrainian Catholic Church to make a pilgrimage to Kyiv in 2013 to celebrate the 1,025th anniversary of the baptism of Kyivian-Rus, Ukraine! The major celebration will be a special Divine Liturgy on Sunday, August 18 at the Holy Resurrection Sobor in Kyiv. Join Metropolitan Lawrence Huculak (Winnipeg), Bishop David Motiuk (Edmonton), Bishop Ken Nowakowski (New Westminster) and Bishop Bryan Bayda (Saskatoon) on an official pilgrimage to Ukraine from August 7-21. The Pilgrimage will begin in western Ukraine visiting Lviv, Zarvanytsia, and Ternopil before heading out to Kyiv for the major celebrations. In the next few weeks more details will be announced as the program is finalized. Solaway Travel has been commissioned to assist our Church in arranging for our travel plans and accommodations on this pilgrimage. To express your interest in being part of this very exciting pilgrimage with our Bishops please contact: Myrna Arychuk, Solaway Travel, 3819 Sunset Street, Burnaby, BC V5G 1T4, email@example.com, Tel: 604 430 6789 Fax: 604-430-2244, www.solawaytravel.com.
- Pope Benedict XVI published his Message for the 28th World Youth Day, to take place in Rio de Janeiro, 23 – 28 July 2013, on the theme “Go and make disciples of all nations!” (cf. Matthew 28:19). The document is available on the Vatican website: www.vatican.va/
- The Pontifical Council for the Family announces a new electronic newsletter, Familia et Vita: Good News. The newsletter is free. To register, visit their website www.family.va,click on the banner at the top of the webpage and then on the link at the top of the column on the right.
- Published for your information is an English translation of propositions regarding the main theme of 2012 Synod of Bishops, “The Role and Mission of the Laity in the Church.”
- Bishop David ordained Cyril Kennedy to the Order of Reader on November 12, the Feast of Saint Josaphat, at Holy Spirit Seminary, Ottawa.
- Most Rev. Michael Hrynchyshyn, C.Ss.R., Apostolic Exarch for Ukrainian Catholics in France, Benelux and Switzerland died in Paris on November 12 at the age of 83, after 60 years as priest and 29 years as Bishop. He was born on February 18, 1929, in Buchanan, Saskatchewan and made his religious profession with the Redemptorists on July 28, 1946. His responsibilities with his religious community included serving as Provincial Superior for the Redemptorist Yorkton Province. May God grant him eternal memory.
His Excellency, Bishop David, and the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a joyous celebration of the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and prayerful best wishes for the New Year.
© 2012 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330