- Clergy Retreat – August 20-24, Caroline. The retreat begins with 4:30 pm Vespers and supper on Monday and concludes with Divine Liturgy and lunch on Friday. This year’s retreat theme is “Saint Peter: From Sinner to Saint,” and will be led by Bishop David.
- In honour of the 100th Anniversary of the Appointment of Bishop-Martyr Nykyta Budka as the first Ukrainian Catholic Bishop in Canada, the Edmonton Catholic Schools and Elk Island Catholic Schools have designated their School Year Opening Liturgy in the Ukrainian tradition according to the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom: Edmonton Catholic Schools – Thursday, August 30, 9:00 am, Winspear.
Elk Island Catholic Schools – Friday, August 31, 11:00 am, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Sherwood Park.
All clergy are invited to concelebrate (bright vestments).
- 2012 World Tourism Day will be celebrated on September 27. This year’s theme is “Tourism and Sustainable Energy: Providing Sustainable Development.”
- Presbyteral Council meetings – October 1 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery), November 19.
- Clergy Conferences – October 2 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm), November 20.
- Pope Benedict XVI appointed Rev. Borys Gudziak as Apostolic Exarch of France, Benelux and Switzerland. Father Borys Gudziak, 51, Rector of the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv, has lived and worked mainly in Ukraine since completing his doctorate in Slavic history at Harvard in 1992.
Bishop-designate Gudziak was born Nov. 24, 1960, to parents who emigrated from Ukraine. He graduated from Syracuse University in 1980 and moved to Rome to study at Holy Sofia College and the Pontifical Urbanian University, earning a degree in theology. He studied at Harvard from 1983 to 1992, and then moved to Ukraine where he was the founding director of the Institute of Church History and co-ordinator of an oral history project to collect the stories of those who survived and maintained their faith under communist repression of the Church.
He was ordained to the priesthood in 1998 and was named rector of the Lviv Theological Academy in 2000. The academy grew into the Ukrainian Catholic University in 2002 and he was named rector.
He serves as a consultant to the Vatican Congregation for Eastern Churches.
He will be responsible for the pastoral care of about 25,000 faithful, who are ministered to by 16 priests, five religious women and a permanent deacon.
- Pope Benedict XVI appointed Rev. Gregory Bittman as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Edmonton. He will assist the Archbishop of Edmonton, the Most Reverend Richard W. Smith, who is also President of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. Bishop-Elect Gregory Bittman was born on March 5, 1961, in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1991, he obtained a Master’s of Divinity Degree from Christ the King Seminary in Mission B.C., and in 2009, he obtained a JCL Degree in Canon Law from the Catholic University of America. He was ordained to the priesthood on August 15, 1996.
At the time of his appointment to the episcopate, he was serving as Judicial Vicar and Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Edmonton. He was also an Ex-Officio member of the College of Consultors, the Council of Priests, the Priests’ Personnel Committee, the Project Review Board and the Finance Council in the Archdiocese of Edmonton. He has also served as the Spiritual Director to Seminarians over the past few years.
Father Bittman will be ordained to the episcopacy 7:00 pm, September 3, 2012, at Saint Joseph Basilica, in Edmonton.
- The Congregation for Catholic Education published a new document entitled “Pastoral Guidelines for Fostering Vocations to Priestly Ministry”. The text was approved by Pope Benedict XVI on March 25, 2012, the 20th anniversary of the Apostolic Exhortation Pastores dabo vobis.
The document is divided into three parts: Part One examines the current situation of priestly vocations in the world today, and the relevant forms of pastoral care. Part Two analyses the identity of the ministerial priesthood, while Part Three makes some suggestions for the pastoral care of vocations.
- Bishop David appointed Rev. Danylo Kuc as Eparchial Coordinator for Vision 2020: The Vibrant Parish – A Place to Encounter the Living Christ, the programme of spiritual renewal as designated by the Synod of Bishops for the years leading up to 2020.
- The Basilian Order of Saint Josaphat recently held its General Chapter in Rome from July 2-20. The Chapter elected a new Protoarchimandrite and General Council as follows:
- Rev. Genesio Viomar – Protoarchimandrite
- Rev. Joanikij Chverenchuk – Protoconsultor
- Rev. Efrem Konchak – 1st Consultor
- Rev. Mavrikij Popadiuk – 2nd Consultor
- Rev. Stefan Starepravo – 3rd Consultor
- Rev. Porfyryj Pidruchny, Bursar
- Rev. Efrem Konchak – Secretary
© 2012 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330