- Bishop David will ordain Subdeacon Cyril Kennedy to the Diaconate through the laying on of hands on July 20 at Saint Elias the Prophet Parish, Brampton, ON.
- The 39th Biannual Conference of the Ukrainian Catholic Council (Centralia) – Eparchy of Edmonton will take place October 18-20, 2019, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral/Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton. This year’s special guest is Bishop Ken Nowakowski, Eparchy of New Westminster, who will speak to the convention theme of “The Vibrant Parish….. the Next Steps – My Response.” The Ukrainian Catholic Council comprises the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada, the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada, the Ukrainian Catholic Youth of Canada, and the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy Chapter Knights of Columbus.
Given that the Convention celebrates the contribution of our lay organizations in the life of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, for the very first time, representatives of our Parish Pastoral Councils throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton will be invited to participate.
- 2019 Presbyteral Council Meetings: (2:00 – 5:00 pm, Pastoral Centre): October 28.
- Clergy Conferences: (10:00 am – 4:00 pm): November 1.
- Annual Clergy Study Days: October 28-31 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton). Led by Dr. Stéphane Saulnier, Newman Theological College (Professor, Head of Scripture, History, Foundations Department, Director of Undergraduate Programs).llege (Professor, Head of Scripture, History, Foundations Department, Director of Undergraduate Programs).
- In a special way this year, we honour the memory of the Blessed Priest-Martyr Omelian (Emilian) Kowch. 2019 marks the 135th anniversary of his birth, the 75th anniversary of his martyrdom, and the 10th anniversary of being proclaimed as Patron of Clergy.
The Servant of God Father Omelian Kowch was born on August 20, 1884, near Kosiv, Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast, Ukraine.
In 1911, after graduating from the College of Saints Sergius and Bacchus in Rome, he was ordained to the priesthood.
In the spring of 1943, he was arrested by the Gestapo for aiding Jews. On March 25, 1944, he was burned to death in the ovens of Majdanek Nazi death camp.
On September 9, 1999, he was honored with the title “Righteous Ukrainian” by the Jewish Council of Ukraine.
Blessed Priest-Martyr Omelian was beatified by Saint Pope John Paul II on June 27, 2001, during the Holy Father’s visit to Ukraine.
On May 24, 2009, the Synod of Bishops proclaimed Blessed Priest-Martyr Omelian as Patron of Clergy of the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
Blessed Priest-Martyr Omelian, pray for us!
Основні дати життєвого шляху Блаж. свщм. Омеляна:
- 20 серпня 1884 року – народився в с. Космач, нині – Косівського р-ну Івано-Франківської області
- 24 жовтня 1910 року – одруження з Марією Добрянською. Виховали 6 дітей
- 1911 рік – священичі свячення з рук блаж. свщм. Григорія Хомишина (уточнити місяць і день)
- 1919 рік — призначений польовим духівникомБережанського Коша УГА
- 30 грудня 1942 року – арешт гестапо і ув’язнення в тюрмі на Лонцького з пізнішим етапуванням до концтабору Майданек.
- 25 березня 1944 року – мученицька смерть в концтаборі Майданек
- 09 вересня 1999 року – Праведник України (проголошений Єврейською радою України)
- 27 червня 2001 року – беатифікований як Блаженний священномученик св. Папою Іваном Павлом ІІ під час Літургії у Львові
- 24 квітня 2009 року – урочисте проголошення Покровителем душпастирів УГКЦ
- ГАСЛО РОКУ: «Тут я бачу Бога».
Some selected biographical and prayer material:
Newspaper Article “Immortalized in Stained Glass,” Winnipeg Freepress:
Tribute to Blessed Martyr Omelian Kowch, priest, by Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate:
Way of the Cross, Хресна дорога з Блаженним свщм. Омеляном Ковчем Р.Б. 2019, «ТУТ Я БАЧУ БОГА.»
- Bishop David ascribed (incardinated) Rev. Mykhaylo Bohun into the Eparchy of Edmonton. Father Mykhaylo was previously ascribed to the Eparchy of New Westminster. Since 2008, he has been residing in Edmonton, providing occasional clergy substitution, including serving as Administrator of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, Calgary (2013-2018). Father Mykhaylo is available for clergy substitutions upon request.
- Rev. Mark Bayrock successfully completed a two-year Spiritual Direction Training Program at the Faithful Companions of Jesus (FCJ) Christian Life Centre, Calgary. Congraulations!
- Bishop David received Rev. Matthew Drury, osbm, into the Eparchy of Edmonton for a one-year period, following a grant of Indult of Exlaustration from the Order of Saint Basil the Great – Sacred Heart Province, Canada. Father Matthew will be available for clergy substitutions upon request.
- Pope Francis proclaimed an Extraordinary Missionary Month to be celebrated October 2019: Baptized and Sent, the Church of Christ on Mission in the World.
The Holy Father invites us to live out each day Jesus’ The Commissioning of the Disciples, where he says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age. (Matthew 28: 19-20). Pope Francis writes: “May the Extraordinary Missionar Month prove an intense and fruitful occasion of grace, and promote initiatives and above all prayer, the soul of all missionary activity. May it likewise advance the preaching of the Gospel, works of Christian charity, and practical works of cooperation and solidarity between Churches, so that missionary zeal may revive and never be wanting among us.” The Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019 In 2019, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Pope Benedict XV’s Apostolic Letter Maximum Illud, Pope Francis announced the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019. The Theme of the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
For the Extraordinary Missionary Month, the Holy Father has chosen the theme “Baptized and Sent: The Church of Christ on a Mission in the World.” Awakening the awareness of the missio ad gentes, and reinvigorating the responsibility of proclaiming the Gospel with new enthusiasm, are themes that combine the pastoral concern of Pope Benedict XV in Maximum Illud with the missionary vitality expressed by Pope Francis in the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium: “Missionary action is the paradigm of every work of the Church” (EG 15).
How to Live the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
There are four dimensions, specified by the Pope, to live more intensely the journey of preparation for the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019:
- A personal encounter with Jesus Christ living in His Church through the Eucharist, the Word of God, personal and communal prayer;
- Testimony: missionary saints, martyrs and confessors of the faith, as an expression of the Church scattered throughout the world;
- Missionary formation: biblical, catechetical, spiritual and theological;
- Missionary charity.
Prayer proposed by Pope Francis for the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
Heavenly Father, when your only begotten Son Jesus Christ rose from the dead, he commissioned his followers to “go and make disciples of all nations” and you remind us that through our Baptism we are made sharers in the mission of the Church.
Empower us by the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be courageous and zealous in bearing witness to the Gospel, so that the mission entrusted to the Church, which is still very far from completion, may find new and efficacious expressions that bring life and light to the world.
Help us make it possible for all peoples to experience the saving love and mercy of Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever.
© 2019 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330