PARK COURT – St. JOHN the APOSTLE Parish – Парафія св. Апостола Йоана
The Ukrainian faithful organized themselves in 1933, purchased 2 acres of land, and were meeting for services in the house of Ivan Horbowy. The church is located 13 km. north of the town of Evansburg. In 1939-1940 a church (26’ x 20’) was built with their own efforts for $800.00 and a small attached cemetery provided a place for the deceased members. Originally there were 10 families and approximately 20 children. Into the 1990s’ the services were held with the active participation of the children of the pioneers who moved to Edmonton.
In the beginnings the Basilian Fathers served the community: Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Methodius Hannas, Fr. Juvelnalis Slota, Fr. Gregory Chmilar, Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Dionisiius Dzygolyk and Fr. Michael Shewchuk.
From 1950 the Eparchial clergy provided the spiritual assistance: Fr. Peter Petryshyn, Fr. Constantine Stangret, Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk, Fr. Michael Gural, Fr. Bohdan Snihurowych (1970-1985), Fr. Myron Martynkiw.