NORTH STAR – ASSUMPTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Успіння Матері Божої
The church (42’ x 24’) was built in 1939 6.5 km. east of North Star on the land of Hryhoriy Fedushchak. There were 30 families in 1940. North Star is located 100 km. from Grimshaw. The first visit of a Ukrainian priest Fr. Theodozy Dobko, OSBM, was in 1932. From 1932 to 1935 Fr. Paul Olinsky, OSBM, took care of the faithful, followed by Fr. Dobko (1935-1938). Fr. Matthew Sianchuk looked after the community from 1938 with other Basilian Fathers: Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk, Fr. Ireneus Procenty and Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn. Fr. Sianchuk established the first Parish council: H. Fedushchak, M. Pashko and N. Gudzinskyi. In 1950 the people built a clergy residence. The cemetery is adjacent to the church.
The Eparchial Fathers that served the Parish were: Fr. John Malaschuk (1950-1951), Fr. Peter Moysiuk (1952-1954), Fr. Euthymius Melnychuk (1955-1957), Fr. Omelian Nakonechny (1958-1959), Fr. Bohdan Karychek (1960-1967), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1967-1970), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1976), Fr. Richard Zuback (1984-195), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008).