- Watch a video: about the Presentation (Encounter) in the Temple.
For Older Children:
For Younger Children:
2. Learn about it: by accessing the Bozhy Dity (God’s Little Children) lesson on the Edmonton Eparchy Website. Learn about this amazing day in the life of the Church and make stick puppets of the event. Then plan a play. You could even make a video that you can send to others to tell them the story.
3. Create: rolled beeswax candles that you can take to church to be blessed.
On this day we bless candles in honour of Jesus who was revealed to be the Messiah the light to all the people in the world! Purchase sheets of beeswax and wicks at a craft store. Place the wick on the edge of the beeswax sheet and roll. For more instruction and pictures go here.
4. Have a candlelight supper. What a fun experience for young children! Talk about how the candles lights up the room. Talk about how Jesus is the light of the world.
5. Process: with the beeswax candles that you made or LED candles (they are safer especially for the little ones) while singing and praying Children of the Light, remembering that Simeon said Jesus would be a light to all the Gentiles (that’s us!). Print the icon or if you already have your own, place it in your icon corner. You can find the audio here.