1891 – September 7: Wasyl Elyniak and Ivan Pylypiw, the first Ukrainian settlers, land in Montreal. They emigrated from the village of Nebyliv (district Kalush), Western Ukraine. Shortly after arriving by train in Winnipeg, they find work in Gretna, Manitoba. Impressed by availability of land in Canada they make arrangements for their families to join them, and together they travel to Alberta to homestead – Elyniak and his family take a homestead in vicinity of Chipman, and the Pylypiw family settle near Edna-Star.
1897 – April 4: Reverend Father Nestor Dmytriw, from the United States, is the first Ukrainian Catholic priest to visit the Ukrainian settlers in Canada, arrives in Winnipeg.
1897 – April 12: Reverend Father Dmytriw celebrates the first Ukrainian Catholic Liturgy in Canada, in the home of Wasyl Kzionzyk in Terebowlia (now Valley River).
1899 – October 21: Reverend Damascene Polywka, OSBM, from the U.S.A., arrives in Winnipeg. On December 8th of the same year, he arranges for the purchase of property at the corner of McGregor and Stella for the sum of $450.00. He consecrates the property and places it under the patronage of St. Nicholas. May 1 st, 1901 the building of the first St. Nicholas Church is completed. The parish, unfortunately, does not have a permanent pastor, since none of the priests arriving from the United States stay for any length of time in Canada.
1902 – October 23: The first Basilian Missionary priests, who are to stay permanently in Canada, arrive from Western Ukraine. They are Platonid Filas, Sozont Dydyk, Antin Strotsky, and lay brother Yeremia Yanishewsky. Also arriving with them are four members of the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate: Ambrosia Lenkewych, Isydora Shypowska, Emilia Klapoyshok, and Taida Wrublewsky. They all travel by train to Alberta where on November 7th Father Filas settles near Beaverlake (now Mundare). Next summer he begins building the first little church and monastery-convent for the Basilian Fathers and the Sister Servants at their new homestead.
1903 – July 11: The first convent and novitiate for the Sister Servants is officially opened in Beaverlake (now Mundare), Alberta.
1911 – May 27: The first Ukrainian Catholic newspaper, Kanadyjsky Rusyn, starts publishing regularly. In 1918 the name is changed to the Kanadyjsky Ukrainetz. In June 1927, the paper passes into the hands of a private national co-op press, which eventually becomes “unfriendly” towards the Ukrainian Catholics. Therefore on November 7, 1929, it is decided to publish a new Ukrainian Catholic paper in Edmonton under the title Ukrainian News. It becomes the official instrument of communication in the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada.
1923 – August 28: The Basilian Fathers in Mundare open their novitiate and studies in philosophy and theology.
1929 – July 14: Bishop Basil Volodymyr Ladyka, OSBM, the pastor of St. Josaphat Cathedral in Edmonton, is consecrated at St. Joseph’s Basilica and takes over the leadership of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada from Bishop Nykyta Budka. At this time there are 29 diocesan and 18 religious priests serving the Church in Canada. According to the data given in the 1931 Canadian Statistics, there were 186,587 Ukrainian Catholics served by some 100 priests, in 350 established parishes and missions from coast to coast.
1929 – September 22: The Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate open the first Ukrainian Catholic hospital in Mundare, with 30 beds and an operating room.
1932 – December 28-29: A church organization called “The Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood” is established. Membership in the organization is open to men, women, as well as young people. However, in 1946 separate organizations are formed – for women the “Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League” and the “Ukrainian Catholic Youth” for young people. The Brotherhood becomes an organization for men only.
1948 – The division of the single Ordinariate into 3 apostolic exarchates: Western (Edmonton), Central (Winnipeg), and Eastern (Toronto) with 2 new bishops: Borecky, Roberecky. A fourth exarchate was created in 1951 for Saskatchewan. The exarchates were raised to parches in December 1956 with a metropolitan see in Winnipeg.
1951 – Nine monks of the Studite Order, fleeing from the communist regime, arrive in Canada. The Ukrainian Bishops of Canada arrange for the purchase of land in Woodstock, Ontario where a monastery and church are built for them.
1974 – January 27: The Apostolic See creates another Eparchy in Canada – the Eparchy of New Westminster for the province of British Columbia and the Yukon Territories. Thus, the Edmonton Eparchy now retains the province of Alberta and the Northwest Territory.
1974 – October 3: Bishop Demetrius Greshchuk, the pastor of St. Stephen’s church in Calgary, is consecrated at St. Josaphat’s Cathedral in Edmonton and becomes Auxiliary Bishop to Bishop Neil Savaryn, OSBM, for the Edmonton Eparchy.
1981 – July 22: The Ukrainian Catholic Bishops of Canada establish the Holy Spirit Ukrainian Catholic Seminary. Initially, it is housed at the monastery of the Basilian Fathers in Ottawa, then on September 23, 1984, the Seminary moves to its own site, where there is room for 28 seminarians. The first rector is Father Joseph Andrijishyn.
1991 – Bishop Myron Daciuk, then Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Winnipeg, is appointed Eparch of Edmonton.
1997 – April 3: Reverend Lawrence Daniel Huculak, OSBM, is consecrated Bishop; on April 6th, 1997 he is enthroned as Bishop of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton.
2007 – March 24: Bishop David Motiuk, then Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Winnipeg, is enthroned as Eparch of Edmonton at St. Basil the Great church in Edmonton