The Parish of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Fedorah (40 km northeast of Edmonton), celebrated its 80th Anniversary on May 5, 2016. With mass immigration of Ukrainians to Canada in the late 1800s – early 1900s, hundreds of Ukrainian families settled in the Bon Accord area. Church life quickly followed. The Ascension Church property was acquired in 1905 with 10 founding members, and quickly grew to a thriving community. Originally served by the Basilian Fathers, from 1950 the parish was served by eparchial clergy. One of the parish’s sons – Rev. Danylo Bodnar was ordained a priest in 1988. Today the few remaining parish families are served by Rev. Slavko Dumec.
The rich man is not one who has much but one who gives much. For, what he gives away remains his forever.
St. John Chrysostom
- July 24; Holy Martyrs Borys and Hlib Named Roman and David at Baptism
- July 20; The Holy and Glorious Prophet Elias
- July 21; Commemoration of the First Six Ecumenical Councils, Octoechos Tone 5; Our Venerable Father Simeon, the Fool for Christ (c. 580), and His Ascetical Companion John (527-65); Prophet Ezekiel
- Rosehill Cemetery offers first ‘green burials’ in Edmonton
- July 14; Fifth Sunday after Pentecost, Octoechos Tone 4; The Holy Apostle Aquila