- The Annual “Aid to the Missionary Church in the World” collection is taken up throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton on Pentecost Sunday.
Christ died for our sins on the life-giving wood of the Cross. His message of love, mercy and forgiveness is needed ever more in our broken world. As Christians, we are called to continue Jesus’ mission of spreading the Good News, each according to our ability and means.
Concretely, the Church invites us to collaborate in the mission of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, by giving generously to the following international collections:
-Peter’s Pence (Pope’s Pastoral Works or Papal Charities),
-World Mission Fund,
-Collection for the Holy Land,
-Catholic Near East Welfare Association, and
-Aid to the Church in Ukraine.
- Every year the Church in Canada sets aside one week to celebrate Life and the Family. This is also a special moment to reflect and pray on how the family and life itself are two fundamental gifts from God. The theme for this year’s Week for Life and the Family, which will be observed May 8 to 15, is “My family: A school of mercy.” During this Jubilee Year of Mercy, it is especially appropriate that we focus on the irreplaceable role the family has as God’s first school of mercy.
Material for the 2016 National Week for Life and the Family is now available on the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishop’s website: www.cccb.ca
- 2016 Clergy Conferences (10:00–4:00 pm):
- Tuesday, May 10
- Tuesday, October 21
- 2016 Presbyteral Council meetings (Chancery Office):
- Monday, May 9 (note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm followed by 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
- Monday, October 17 (2:00–4:00 pm)
- Annual Clergy Retreat – June 13-17, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline, Retreat Master – Rev. Mark Zazula, osbm, Assistant Pastor, Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton.
- Annual Clergy Study Days – October 17-20 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- The 7th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 1, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Avenue), Edmonton. The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God. Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; email@example.com.
- Our Calgary home of the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate has been closed. A Thanksgiving Divine Liturgy will be celebrated by Bishop David and clergy at 11:00 am, Saturday, June 11, at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, Calgary. Sr Patricia Lacey, Provincial Superior, and other members of the SSMI Community will be attendance.
Consider joining the celebration in thanking the Sisters for their decades-long service and dedication to our faithful in Calgary!
For tickets for the reception and more information, contact Assumpton of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish at 403-230-7013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From information gathered for the 2015 Annual General Statistical Questionnaire on behalf of the Vatican Secretariat of State, as of December 31, 2015 the Eparchy of Edmonton has (by way of comparison, 2014 numbers are included in brackets):
- Ukrainian Catholic population of 28,750, with 5,486 in regular Sunday attendance (2013: 5,359)
- 84 parishes and missions (2013: 84)
- 30 eparchial priests (29)
- 9 religious priests (9)
- 4 deacons (5)
- 3 eparchial seminarians (4) ; 2 religious seminarians (2)
- 16 women religious (19)
- 7 men religious (6)
- 246 baptisms (196)
- 120 First Communions (124)
- 53 marriages (46)
- 237 funerals (246)
- 295 children in catechism (309)
- 51 catechists (51)
- Bishop David granted Rev. Mark Bayrock a nine-month sabbatical, commenicing August 1, 2016. In his absence, Rev. Bohdan Nahachewsky, will serve as Parish Administrator of Saint Stephen Parish, Calgary. Father Bo will be assisted by Deacon Andrij Nykyforuk, who will undertake his Pastoral Internship at the parish.
Pope Francis’ Prayer for Mercy
- Pope Francis has composed a special prayer for the Jubilee Year of Mercy which will run from 8 December 2015 to 20 November 2016. In the prayer, the Holy Father entreats the Lord to make the Jubilee of Mercy a year of grace so that the Church, “with renewed enthusiasm, may bring good news to the poor, proclaim liberty to captives and the oppressed, and restore sight to the blind.”
Lord Jesus Christ,
you have taught us to be merciful like the heavenly Father,
and have told us that whoever sees you sees Him.
Show us your face and we will be saved.
Your loving gaze freed Zacchaeus and Matthew from being enslaved by money;
the adulteress and Magdalene from seeking happiness only in created things;
made Peter weep after his betrayal,
and assured Paradise to the repentant thief.
Let us hear, as if addressed to each one of us, the words that you spoke to the Samaritan woman:
“If you knew the gift of God!”
You are the visible face of the invisible Father,
of the God who manifests his power above all by forgiveness and mercy:
let the Church be your visible face in the world, its Lord risen and glorified.
You willed that your ministers would also be clothed in weakness
in order that they may feel compassion for those in ignorance and error:
let everyone who approaches them feel sought after, loved, and forgiven by God.
Send your Spirit and consecrate every one of us with its anointing,
so that the Jubilee of Mercy may be a year of grace from the Lord,
and your Church, with renewed enthusiasm, may bring good news to the poor,
proclaim liberty to captives and the oppressed,
and restore sight to the blind.
We ask this through the intercession of Mary, Mother of Mercy,
you who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit for ever and ever.
© 2016 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330