- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2015 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2015.
- During Great Lent, the Eparchy of Edmonton conducts its annual collection for “Aid to the Missionary Church in Canada.” The purpose of this collection is to support the needs of the Church in Canada. Three charitable institutions are the recipients of the collection: the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, Catholic Missions in Canada, and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. The Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta responds to the call of Christ to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28: 19-20). The Eparchy of Edmonton supports local priests in their travel, health care, pension, and clergy substitution, thus ensuring that they can respond to the pastoral needs of the faithful, especially the celebration of the Divine Liturgy and funerals in rural Alberta. Visit www.edmontoneparchy.com to see how the Church is working for you.
Catholic Missions in Canada supports over 600 missionaries – priests, deacons, sisters, brothers and lay ministers – throughout 27 eparchies and dioceses right here in Canada, including the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Catholic Missions supports the local churches in our call to proclaim the Gospel among Firsts Nations communities, missionary support, religious education programs, building and repairs, lay pastoral leadership programs, and education of seminarians. To learn more about the work of Catholic Missions in Canada visit (www.cmic.info) and sign up for a free subscription to its quarterly magazine by calling toll free 1-866-937-2642.
Each year the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops is asked to speak out, give leadership, and provide guidelines for the faithful on a wide variety of topics in our daily lives. For our bishops to do so, they must have the benefit of research and expert advice. Research and gathering information requires staff, time and money. Through the yearly bishops’ collection, an appeal is made to all Catholics to be generous towards the work of their bishops. To learn more about the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, visit www.cccb.ca.
- 2016 Clergy Conferences (10:00–4:00 pm):
- Wednesday, February 17 (Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton)
- Tuesday, May 10
- Tuesday, October 21
- 2016 Presbyteral Council meetings (Chancery Office):
- Tuesday, February 16 (2:00–4:00 pm)
- Monday, May 9 (note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm followed by 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
- Monday, October 17 (2:00–4:00 pm)
- 2016 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 13-17, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline.
- 2016 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 17-20 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- Pope Francis issued his Message for Great Lent 2016: “I desire mercy, and not sacrifice” (Mt 9: 13): The works of mercy on the road of the Jubilee.
- Pope Francis issued his Message for the 2016 World Communications Day: “Communication and Mercy – A Fruitful Encounter”. This year’s World Communication Day will be celebrated on May 8.
- The Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization issued a new document entitled “Merciful Like the Father,” a helpful guide in celebrating the Jubilee Year of Mercy. The document includes a calendar of papal and major events during the Year of Mercy, Pope Francis’ Prayer for the Jubilee Year, and other pastoral resources for living the Jubilee.
© 2016 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330