- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Chancery Office to schedule a time on Saturday, January 16 (10:00 am – 2:00 pm).
- Message of Pope Francis on the occasion of the World Day of Migrants and Refugees, “Migrants and refugees challenge us: The response of the Gospel of mercy,” which will be celebrated January 17.
- The Ukrainian Musical Society of Alberta will hold its annual Concert of Carols, 3:00 pm, Sunday, January 24, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral. Plan to celebrate the Nativity of Our Lord through the age-old tradition of carolling.
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2015 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2015.
- 2016 Clergy Conferences (10:00–4:00 pm):
- Wednesday, February 17 (Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton)
- Tuesday, May 10
- Tuesday, October 21
- 2016 Presbyteral Council meetings (Chancery Office):
- Tuesday, February 16 (2:00–4:00 pm)
- Monday, May 9 (note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm followed by 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
- Monday, October 17 (2:00–4:00 pm)
- 2016 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 13-17, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline.
- 2016 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 17-20 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- A Final Report has been published to Pope Francis by the XIV Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops on The Vocation and Mission of the Family in the Church and in the Contemporary World. The report can also be accessed on the website of the Holy See at:
- Pope Francis issued his Message for the 53rd World Day of Prayer for Vocations, which will be celebrated on the Fourth Sunday of Easter, April 17, 2016. The theme is “The Church, Mother of Vocations.”
- The Canadian Rabbinic Caucus and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops issued a letter to the Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, regarding the situation of Christians in various countries of the Middle East and Africa.The letter is dated December 15, following the last day of the 2015 Jewish celebration of Hanukkah, and just 10 days before Christmas. The timing is considered significant, as this is a season filled with hope, faithfulness and expectation by both Jews and Christians, with both Hanukkah and Christmas symbolized by the celebration of light even in the midst of shadows and darkness.
- “Investing in Our Future Today” – A Youth Ministry Initiative. In 2012, together as laity, religious, monastics and clergy we embarked upon an ambitious 25 Year Pastoral Plan of spiritual renewal within the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta: “Evangelization: A New Springtime – Encountering the Person of Christ; A Call to Action for Parish Renewal” (http://www.eeparchy.com).As we find ways to implement our Pastoral Plan, our attention continues to be focused on our youth and young families. If it takes a whole village to raise a child, then it takes the effort of the entire parish to nurture the faith of our children, youth, young adults and young families.
In 2016, for the second year in a row, the Eparchy of Edmonton will once again invest $100,000 from our Evangelization Fund in youth and young family initiatives. Investing in Our Future Today. Our young people are worth it!
We invite our parishes to be creative, and courageous, in coming up with initiatives that will help our youth and young families in their faith journey as they Encounter the Person of Christ.
Attached is a 2016 application form that we ask you kindly complete with your Parish Pastoral Council and return it to the Chancery Office by January 31, 2016. The Eparchial Youth Commission will then review the applications and make recommendations for my consideration.
For your information, in 2015, $100,000 was invested in our youth and young families, including 18 projects across 10 parishes:
- Saint Josaphat Cathedral (Summer Bible Camp, Sunday School Program, and Youth Program);
- Holy Ascension Parish, New Kiew (Children’s Summer Camp);
- Assumption of the Mother of God Parish, Calgary (Pilgrimage to Saints Peter and Paul Pilgrimage, Mundare);
- Holy Trinity Parish, Vegreville (Children of Light Catechism Program; Resource Library);
- Dormition of the Mother of God Parish, Edmonton (Youth and Young Adults Catechist/Coordinator);
- Saint Vladimir Parish, Red Deer (Children’s Day Camp; Serving Christ as Altar Boys);
- Exaltation of the Holy Cross Parish, Edmonton (Children’s Summer Camp);
- Saint Stephen Parish, Calgary (Children’s Day Camp, Programming for Young Families, Updating “Cry Room” and enhancing Sunday School equipment, Outfitting of baby/child equipment);
- Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton (Youth and Young Adults Program); and
- Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton (Youth and Young Adults Catechist/Coordinator).
Together we can make a difference in the faith of our youth and young families.
Investing in Our Future Today!
For more information, contact Millie Schietzsch, Director of Youth Ministry, at (780) 424-5496, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Eparchial Pastoral Council issued A Progress Report – 2012-2015, Implementing the 25 Year Pastoral Plan, A Call to Action for Evangelization and Parish Renewal: To Know God, to Love God, and to Serve God. Pastors are encouraged to share the Report with their Parish Pastoral Council, in particular, and with parishioners, in general.
© 2016 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330