- At the urgent request of Pope Francis, the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) has joined a global emergency effort aimed at involving the Church in Canada in assisting Syrian refugees seeking shelter and protection in the Middle East and parts of Europe.Thousands of Syria’s displaced families are now packed into overcrowded church buildings, tiny schools, crumbling houses and leaky tents. Thousands more have left Syria in search of safety and a better way of life. With the freezing temperatures of winter fast approaching, many might not survive until spring. Our mission as Church is to provide assistance for families and others inside and outside Syria. Our goal is to keep these families warm, and keep them alive. But we must do it before the temperature falls and snow arrives. Before it’s too late. It’s why our Holy Father need all the support you can provide. The world these families knew is gone forever. But your gift of $108 or more can help one family stay warm until spring. All parishes throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton are invited to take up a collection for the Syria Emergency Relief Fund. The Federal Government will double donations made before December 2015 up to $100 million. Parishes can send their collections directly to Catholic Near East Welfare Association (CNEWA Canada) at 1247 Kilborn Place, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 6K9. Make cheques payable to “CNEWA Canada”.
For more information, see attached brochure on a “Snapshot on Syria,” visit CNEWA Canada at cnewa.ca or call toll-free 1-866-322-4441.
Please be as generous as you can!
Thank you! And God bless!
- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 6. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being. And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.
Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- 2015 Message for the Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples. This day of prayer is celebrated on December 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Americas (Roman Catholic Church). This year, the members of the Canadian Catholic Aboriginal Council wish to provide a reflection on the commonalities between Catholicism and traditional indigenous spirituality.
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, December 28, 11:00 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children.
Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Chancery Office to schedule a time on Saturday, January 16 (10:00 am – 2:00 pm).
- Message of Pope Francis on the occasion of the World Day of Migrants and Refugees, “Migrants and refugees challenge us: The response of the Gospel of mercy,” which will be celebrated January 17.
- The Ukrainian Musical Society of Alberta will hold its annual Concert of Carols, 3:00 pm, Sunday, January 24, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral. Plan to celebrate the Nativity of Our Lord through the age-old tradition of carolling.
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2015 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2015.
- 2015 Presbyteral Council meetings – (2:00–4:00 pm, Chancery Office) – February 16, May 9 (note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm followed by 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral), October 17.
- 2015 Clergy Conferences – (10:00–4:00 pm) – February 17 (Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton), May 10, October 21.
- 2016 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 17-20 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton) with Very Rev. Peter Galadza, Professor, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute (Ottawa) on “Byzantine Funeral Rites: History and Theology.”
- 2016 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 13-17, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline.
- His Beatitude Patriarch Sviatoslav issued a Pastoral Letter on the Occasion of the Opening of the Holy Year of Mercy, as proclaimed by Pope Francis. The pope announced an extraordinary jubilee, a Holy Year of Mercy, to highlight the Catholic Church’s “mission to be a witness of mercy.”
- Bishop David, the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a joyous celebration of the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and prayerful best wishes for the New Year.
© 2015 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330