- During Great Lent, the Eparchy of Edmonton conducts its annual collection for “Aid to the Missionary Church in Canada.” The purpose of this collection is to support the needs of the Church in Canada. Three charitable institutions are the recipients of the collection: the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, Catholic Missions in Canada, and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.
The Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta responds to the call of Christ to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28: 19-20). The Eparchy of Edmonton supports local priests in their travel, health care, pension, and clergy substitution, thus ensuring that they can respond to the pastoral needs of the faithful, especially the celebration of the Divine Liturgy and funerals in rural Alberta. Visit www.edmontoneparchy.com to see how the Church is working for you.
Catholic Missions in Canada supports over 600 missionaries – priests, deacons, sisters, brothers and lay ministers – throughout 27 eparchies and dioceses right here in Canada, including the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Catholic Missions supports the local churches in our call to proclaim the Gospel among Firsts Nations communities, missionary support, religious education programs, building and repairs, lay pastoral leadership programs, and education of seminarians. To learn more about the work of Catholic Missions in Canada visit (www.cmic.info) and sign up for a free subscription to its quarterly magazine by calling toll free 1-866-937-2642.
Each year the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops is asked to speak out, give leadership, and provide guidelines for the faithful on a wide variety of topics in our daily lives. For our bishops to do so, they must have the benefit of research and expert advice. Research and gathering information requires staff, time and money. Through the yearly bishops’ collection, an appeal is made to all Catholics to be generous towards the work of their bishops. To learn more about the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, visit www.cccb.ca.
- 2015 Presbyteral Council meetings – May 11 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery Office), October 5.
- 2015 Clergy Conferences – May 12 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Basilian House of Studies), October 9.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 15-19, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master – Most Rev. Paul Chomnycky, Eparchy of Stamford.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Study Days – October 5-8, Providence Centre, Edmonton.
- 2015 marks a year dedicated by Pope Francis to the promotion of consecrated life. The Eparchy of Edmonton is celebrating the Year of Consecrated Life with two special events:
- June 28, Annual Vidpust/Pilgrimage, Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare; and
- July 29, Day of Thanksgiving. 10:00 am Divine Liturgy and BBQ. Open only to Women and Men Religious, Monastics, and Eparchial Clergy and their families. Hosted by the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate at Saint Joseph Convent, Mundare. This day also marks the 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, a member of the Order of Saint Basil the Great.
In celebrating the Year of Consecrated Life, we join Pope Francis in thanking the religious, saying in the words of the Holy Father: “Thank you, for what you do and for your spirit of faith and your quest for service. Thanks for your testimony!”
- The World Meeting of Families will take place from September 22-25, followed by a Papal Visit of Pope Francis from September 26-27, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The theme of the World Meeting of Families is “Love is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive.” Called together from all over the world in faithful celebration of the family, the sanctuary of love and life.
At the request of Archbishop Charles Chaput in Philadelphia, Salt and Light Television is preparing a series of videos on family situations and saints and blesseds who relate to families. Several of these videos have already been posted on the World Meeting of Families website:
The Benedicts: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives
St. John XXIII: Pope of Innocence and Goodness
Ste Gianna Molla – Sainte Patronne de la Rencontre Mondiale Des Familles Philadelphie 2015
St. Gianna Molla – Patron Saint of the World Meeting of Families – Philadelphia 2015
Through the generosity of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia two couples from each diocese and eparchy across Canada will be the guests of the Archdiocese at the World Meeting of Families. The Eparchy of Edmonton will be represented by Bernadette and Dale Mandrusiak (Edmonton) and Charlene, Glen Kulak and their family (Calgary).
The World Meeting of Families and Papal Visit are open to all faithful interested in participating. For additional information, visit www.worldmeeting2015.org.
- Join together with families from around the world in prayer. Pray the World Meeting of Families Prayer each day with your family for the success of the event and for your family’s personal intentions:
God and Father of us all,
in Jesus, your Son and our Savior,
you have made us
your sons and daughters
in the family of the Church.
May your grace and love
help our families
in every part of the world
be united to one another
in fidelity to the Gospel.
May the example of the Holy Family,
with the aid of your Holy Spirit,
guide all families, especially those most troubled,
to be homes of communion and prayer
and to always seek your truth and live in your love.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for us!
© 2015 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330