- 2014 Presbyteral Council meetings – February 9 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery Office), May 11, October 5.
- 2014 Clergy Conferences – February 10 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Saint George Parish, Edmonton), May 12, October 9.
- 2015 Annual Clergy Retreat – June 15-19, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline.
- The Eparchy of Edmonton will host the Fifth Annual Bishop’s Gala fundraising event “Investing in Our Future Today,” (in support of evangelizing youth and young families) on Wednesday, December 3, at the Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton. The Appeal aims at providing financial support for the programs and activities of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta in carrying out the mission of Jesus Christ, that is, to preach the Good News of the Gospel Message. For information and tickets ($160.00 each), contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496 or email@example.com.
- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 7. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being. And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta. Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- 2014 Message for the Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples. This day of prayer is celebrated on December 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Americas. This year and next, in the context of the pastoral challenges for the family and its needs and role in evangelization, the members of the Canadian Catholic Aboriginal Council wish to honour elders who helped them develop their own faith.
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, December 27, 11:00 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children. Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Chancery Office to schedule a time on Saturday, January 17 (10:00 am – 2:00 pm).
- The Ukrainian Musical Society of Alberta will hold its annual Concert of Carols, 3:00 pm, Sunday, January 25, at Saint John Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral. Join Bishop David and Bishop Ilarion (Ukrainian Orthodox Church) on this festive occasion in celebrating the Nativity of Our Lord.
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31, 2015 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2014 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2014.
- The 2015 World Day of Migrants and Refugees will be celebrated on January 18. Here is the Message of the Holy Father for the occasion, on the theme “Church without frontiers, Mother to all.”
- The Year of Consecrated Life, as declared by Pope Francis, was inaugurated on November 29 with a Prayer Vigil in the Basilica of Saint Mary Major, Rome, and will end on February 2, 2016, with the celebration of the World Day for Consecrated Life.
The opening of the Year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of Perfectae Caritatis, the Second Vatican Council Decree on the Adaptation and Renewal of Religious Life, promulgated on October 28, 1965.
The Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life has released a logo and theme for the Year, together with a letter to consecrated men and women, entitled “Rejoice”.
The logo, theme and explanation of the logo are available on the Congregation’s website.
- Most Rev. Sofron Mudri, Bishop Emeritus of the Eparchy of Ivano-Frankivsk, reposed in the Lord on October 31 at the age of 91 years old.
Bishop David, the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a joyous celebration of the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and prayerful best wishes for the New Year.
© 2014 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330