- The 2014 Catholic Education Sunday takes place November 9. The Catholic Bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories chose as their theme for this year’s Pastoral Letter “Sharing the Good News about our Human Nature,” and the role of families in support of Catholic education (letter attached).
- 2014 Presbyteral Council meetings – November 17 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery Office).
- 2014 Clergy Conferences – November 18 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm), Holy Eucharist Parish, Edmonton.
- November 21 marks the 50th Anniversary of Unitatis redintegratio, the Decree on Ecumenism of the Second Vatican Council. Here is a letter from Archbishop Paul-André Durocher, President, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, celebrating the event, as well as possible parish bulletin inserts to draw attention to our parishioners over several Sundays as to the work done and the work still need to be done in promoting greater Christian unity. November 21 also marks the 50th Anniversary of Lumen gentium, the Dogmatic Constitution of the Church, and Orientalium ecclesiarum, the Decree on the Eastern Catholic Churches.
- The Eparchy of Edmonton will host the Fifth Annual Bishop’s Gala fundraising event “Investing in Our Future Today,” (in support of evangelizing youth and young families) on Wednesday, December 3, at the Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton. The Appeal aims at providing financial support for the programs and activities of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta in carrying out the mission of Jesus Christ, that is, to preach the Good News of the Gospel Message.
For information and tickets ($160.00 each), contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496 or email@example.com.
- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 7. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being. And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.
Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- 2014 Message for the Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples. This day of prayer is celebrated on December 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Americas. This year and next, in the context of the pastoral challenges for the family and its needs and role in evangelization, the members of the Canadian Catholic Aboriginal Council wish to honour elders who helped them develop their own faith.
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, December 27, 11:00 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children. Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
- The 2015 World Day of Migrants and Refugees will be celebrated on January 18. Here is the Message of the Holy Father for the occasion, on the theme “Church without frontiers, Mother to all.”
- The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, through its Commission for Christian Unity, Religious Relations with the Jews, and Interfaith Dialogue, has released the attached document. Entitled “A Church in Dialogue: Towards the Restoration of Unity among Christians,” it provides an in-depth presentation of the Church’s commitment to ecumenical dialogue. It is being published to mark the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council’s Decree on Ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio, on November 21, 2014. The attached resource is intended for academics and for those involved in, and familiar with, ecumenical work. This document complements a document sent to you in August 2014 entitled: “A Church in Dialogue: Catholic Ecumenical Commitment,” (available at cccb.ca).
- Bishop David appointed Very Rev. Stephen Wojcichowsky as Pastor of Dormition of the Mother of God Parish, Edmonton. We continue to pray for the health and well-being of Rev. Myron Pyszcz who is currently on extended medical leave.
© 2013 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330