- Held Over! A Solemn Exposition of an Official Replica of the Shroud of Turin, authorized by the Archdiocese of Turin, Italy, will take place at Saint Josaphat Cathedral from May 1 to June 26. For times and more information, contact Saint Josaphat Cathedral at stjosaphat.ab.ca or (780) 422-3181. Admission by donation of a food item to the Food Bank. The Exposition is sponsored by the Eparchy of Edmonton as part of its 25 Year Pastoral Plan in spiritual renewal. From childlike curiosity through the path of discovery to the journey of faith!
- The 2014 Canadian National Week for Life and the Family will be held May 12-18 on the theme “Families united in the joy of the Lord.” The dates for this year’s celebration of life and the family coincide in part with those for the 2014 Semaine québécoise des familles, and also with the United Nations World Day of Families, May 15.
- Pope Francis issued his Message for the 51st World Day of Prayer for Vocations, to take place on May 11, on the theme of “Vocations: Witness to the Truth”.
- Presbyteral Council meetings – May 22 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery), September 22, November 17.
- Clergy Conferences – May 23, (10:00am – 4:00pm), September 26, November 18.
- Eparchial Sobor on Vision 2020: The Vibrant Parish, the Place to Encounter the Living Christ – May 23-24, Saint Josaphat Cathedral Hall (Verkhovyna).
- The 48th World Day of Social Communications will be celebrated on June 1, the Sunday before the Feast of Pentecost. Pope Francis’ Message for the occasion, entitled “Communication at the service of an authentic culture of encounter”.
- The 4th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 4, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Aveneue), Edmonton. The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God.
This year’s guest speaker is Patrick Dumelie, President and CEO, Covenant Health. Covenant Health was recognized as a top employer in Alberta in 2014 for its healing ministry.
Covenant Health celebrated 150 years of Catholic health care in Alberta in 2013. It employees 10,000 health care workers in its locations throughout Alberta: Banff, Bonnyville, Camrose, Castor, Edmonton, Killam, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Mundare, St. Albert, Trochu, and Vegreville.
Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; email@example.com.
- Clergy Study Days – June 23-27, Pope Francis’ “Joy of the Gospel” led by Rev. Stefano Penna (Newman Theological College); and “A Closer Look at the Shroud of Turin,” Sanctum Retreat, Caroline.
- The Annual Saints Peter and Paul Parish Pilgrimage – Vidpust, Mundare will take place Sunday, June 29, commencing with a 9:30 am Blessing of Water and 10:00 am Pontifical Divine Liturgy, celebrated by Bishop David Motiuk and Basilian Fathers. This Year’s Pilgrimage will include a Solemn Exposition of an Official Replica of the Shroud of Turin, authorized by the Archdiocese of Turin, Italy. The Exposition is sponsored by the Eparchy of Edmonton as part of its 25 Year Pastoral Plan in spiritual renewal. From childlike curiosity through the path of discovery to the journey of faith!
- Clergy Retreat – September 22-25, Rev. John Sianchuk, cssr, Retreat Master, Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton.
- Pope Francis:
- Confirmed the erection of the Exarchate of Kharkiv by His Beatitude Sviatoslav, with the consent of the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, with territory from the current Exarchate of Donetsk-Kharkiv.
- Gave his assent to the canonical election by the Synod of Bishops of Rev. Vasyl Tuchapets, osbm, as first bishop of the Exarchate of Kharkiv. The bishop-elect was born in Yavoriv, Ukraine in 1967 and was ordained a priest in 1997. He holds a licentiate in theology from the Pontifical theological faculty in Warsaw. He has served in pastoral roles in Zolochiv, Krekhiv and Zhovkva, and taught ascetics at the institute for formation of the Salvatorian in Zolochiv. He is currently superior of the monastery of St. Basil the Great in Kyiv, vicar and councillor of the province of the Basilian Order of St. Josaphat in Ukraine.
- Acknowledged the canonical election by the Synod of Bishops of Bishop Taras Senkiv as bishop of the Eparchy of Stryj, transferring him from the office of Apostolic Administrator of the same eparchy.
- Gave his assent to the canonical election by the Synod of Bishops of Rev. Bohdan Manyshyn as auxiliary of the Eparchy of Stryj. The bishop-elect was born in Novyj Rozkil, Ukraine in 1972 and was ordained a priest in 2002. He holds a licentiate in pastoral theology from the Catholic University of Lublin, Poland, and has served as military chaplain in Lviv and vicar in various parishes in the Eparchy of Stryj. He is currently protosyncellus of the same eparchy.
- Pope Francis extended the liturgical cult of the following blesseds to the universal Church, inscribing them in the book of Saints:
- Francois de Laval, French bishop of Quebec, Canada (1623-1708), and
- Maria de la Encarnacion (nee Marie Guyart), French (1599-1672).
Most Rev. Paul-André Durocher, President, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, issued a statement welcoming Canada’s two new saints.
- From information gathered for the 2013 Annual General Statistical Questionnaire on behalf of the Vatican Secretariat of State, as of December 31, 2013 the Eparchy of Edmonton has (by way of comparison, 2012 numbers are included in brackets):
- Ukrainian Catholic population of 28,750, with 5,447 in regular Sunday attendance (2012: 5,572)
- 84 parishes and missions (2012: 82)
- 30 eparchial priests (30)
- 9 religious priests (9)
- 4 deacons (4)
- 4 eparchial seminarians (2) ; 4 religious seminarians (7)
- 18 women religious (19)
- 7 men religious (6)
- 161 baptisms (209)
- 98 First Communions (124)
- 49 marriages (60)
- 235 funerals (240)
- 277 children in catechism (273)
- 37 catechists (62)
© 2014 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330