- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 8. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being. And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.
Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
The Eparchy of Edmonton will host the Fourth Annual Bishop’s Appeal fundraising event on Tuesday, December 10, at the Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton.
The Appeal aims at providing financial support for the programs and activities of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta in carrying out the mission of Jesus Christ, that is, to preach the Good News of the Gospel Message.
For information and tickets ($150.00 each), contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples is celebrated on December 12 every year, on the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Latin Calendar), patroness of the Americas, who appeared to a humble Aztec peasant, Saint Juan Diego, in Mexico in 1531.The Canadian Catholic Aboriginal Council celebrates this day of prayer, solidarity and reconciliation by issuing an annual message honouring Indigenous people who have been inspired by their Catholic faith.
This year’s Message highlights ?ehtseo Ereya, a Dene prophet who preached the good news of Jesus (attached with photo).
- The National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples is celebrated on December 12 every year, on the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Latin Calendar), patroness of the Americas, who appeared to a humble Aztec peasant, Saint Juan Diego, in Mexico in 1531. The Canadian Catholic Aboriginal Council celebrates this day of prayer, solidarity and reconciliation by issuing an annual message honouring Indigenous people who have been inspired by their Catholic faith. This year’s Message highlights ?ehtseo Ereya, a Dene prophet who preached the good news of Jesus.
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, December 27, 11:00 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children. Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.That is, enshrinement instead of transfer.
- The 2013 Annual Parish Reports (general info, parish census and sacrament statistics) are to be forwarded to the Chancery Office prior to December 31, 2013.
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31, 2014 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2013 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2013.
- The 2014 World Day of Migrants and Refugees will be celebrated on January 19, 2014. Pope Francis’ theme for this year’s Message is: “Migrants and Refugees: Towards a Better World.
- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Chancery Office to schedule a time on Saturday, January 18 (10:00 am – 2:00 pm).
- The Ukrainian Musical Society of Alberta will hold its annual Concert of Carols, 3:00 pm, Sunday, January 26, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral. Join Bishop David and Bishop Ilarion (Ukrainian Orthodox Church) on this festive occasion in celebrating the Nativity of Our Lord.
- Presbyteral Council meetings – March 17 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery), May 22, September 22, November 17.
- Clergy Conferences – March 18, May 23, September 26, November 18.
- 25th Anniversary of the Legalization of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Ukraine, Commemorative Concert – April 29, 7:30 pm, Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- Eparchial Sobor on Vision 2020: The Vibrant Parish, the Place to Encounter the Living Christ – May 23-24, Saint Josaphat Cathedral Hall (Verkhovyna).
- Clergy Study Days – June 23-27.
- Clergy Retreat – September 22-25.
- Cardinal Peter Erdo, Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest, Hungary, Bishop Lorenzo Baldisseri, and Archbishop Bruno Forte of Chieti-Vasto, Italy, respectively Relator General, Secretary General and Special Secretary of the Third Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, presented the preparatory document for the Third Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops on the theme “The pastoral challenges for the family in the context of evangelisation,” scheduled to be held in the Vatican from October 5-19, 2014. A copy of the press release is attached for your information, together with the Preparatory Document of the Synod.
- In accordance with canons 1391, §1 and 1399, §1, and in consultation with the Presbyteral Council, Bishop David confirmed the appointment of Rev. Rendy Yackimec and Rev. Greg Faryna, as priest-consultants regarding the procedures in transferring and removing pastors.
Bishop David, the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a joyous celebration of the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and prayerful best wishes for the New Year.
© 2013 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330