- The 2013 Catholic Education Sunday takes place November 3. The Catholic Bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories chose as their theme for this year’s Pastoral Letter “Caring for the Gifts that God has given Us” (letter attached). Pope Francis drew attention to the duty entrusted by God to Saint Joseph to be the “custos” or “protector” of the Holy Family. On Catholic Education Sunday we are reminded that we are similarly entrusted with the care and protection of the gift of Catholic education.
- 2013 Presbyteral Council meetings – November 4 (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery).
- 2013 Clergy Conferences – November 5 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Saint Volodymyr Parish, Edmonton).
- Patriarch Sviatoslav, Bishop David and other Ukrainian Catholic Bishops from around the world will commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Enshrinement of the Body of Saint Josaphat, Bishop and Martyr, from Vienna (Austria) to the Vatican. A Pontifical Divine Liturgy will be celebrated at Saint Peter’s Basilica on November 25, the Feast of Saint Josaphat (Julian Calendar), followed by an audience with Pope Francis.
- The Eparchy of Edmonton will host the Fourth Annual Bishop’s Appeal fundraising event on Tuesday, December 10, at the Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton.The Appeal aims at providing financial support for the programs and activities of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta in carrying out the mission of Jesus Christ, that is, to preach the Good News of the Gospel Message.For information and tickets ($150.00 each), contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496 or email@example.com.
- The National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples is celebrated on December 12 every year, on the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Latin Calendar), patroness of the Americas, who appeared to a humble Aztec peasant, Saint Juan Diego, in Mexico in 1531. The Canadian Catholic Aboriginal Council celebrates this day of prayer, solidarity and reconciliation by issuing an annual message honouring Indigenous people who have been inspired by their Catholic faith. This year’s Message highlights ?ehtseo Ereya, a Dene prophet who preached the good news of Jesus.
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, December 27, 11:00 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children.
Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
That is, enshrinement instead of transfer.
- The 2014 World Day of Migrants and Refugees will be celebrated on January 19, 2014. Pope Francis’ theme for this year’s Message is: “Migrants and Refugees: Towards a Better World.
- Pope Francis convoked the Third Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, to be held from October 5-19, 2014, Vatican City, with the theme “The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelization”.
- Pope Francis accepted the resignation from the office of Auxiliary Bishop of the Exarchate of Donetsk – Kharkiv, Ukraine, presented by Bishop Wasyl Ihor Medwit, osbm, in accordance with canon 210 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches.
- Pope Francis appointed Rev. Eugene Popowicz as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archeparchy of Przemysl-Warszawa, Poland (Catholics 30,000, priests 48, permanent deacons 4, religious 90). Bishop-elect Popowicz was born in Czluchow, Poland in 1961 and was ordained a priest in 1986. He holds a doctorate in eastern canon law from the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome, and has held a number of roles including parish vicar at Elblag and Paslek; judicial vicar and lecturer at the major seminary of Leopoli; episcopal vicar and parish priest at Gorowo Ilaweckie and Lelkowo; and member of the presbyteral Council and of the College of consultors and the economic Council. He is currently a priest of the Cathedral in Przemysl and Protosyncellus of the Archeparchy.
- The North American Orthodox Catholic Theological Consultation met this past October 24-26 in Mississauga, Ontario. It issued the attached joint news release as well as a joint statement on the plight of Christians in the Middle East. Catholic members from Canada and the United States are appointed by the respective Conference of Catholic Bishops. The current Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops appointees are Father Peter Galadza, a priest from the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Toronto and Eastern Canada who is also a professor with the Sheptytsky Institute at Saint Paul University, Ottawa, and Father Damian MacPherson, S.A., Director of Ecumenical and Interfaith Affairs for the Archdiocese of Toronto.
- Attached is a statement by President, Archbishop Paul-André Durocher, President, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, following the recent announcement of the date for the canonizations of Blessed John XXIII and Blessed John Paul II, set for April 27, 2014.
- The Catholic Organization for Life and the Family (COLF) issued a news release (attached), entitled “Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide — We have reached a crossroad: let us choose life!” This is in response to the recent decisions by the BC Court of Appeal in the Carter case, as well as by the Supreme Court of Canada in the Rasouli case.
- With Rev. Serafym Grygoruk’s, osbm, assignment by Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior, to Saint Mary’s Parish, Vancouver, Bishop David, upon the recommendation of Father Haber, appointed Rev. Josaphat Tyrkalo, osbm, as Administrator of Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare; and Rev. Ireneus Valiavka, osbm, as Assistant Pastor of the same parish.
- John Boyko, Vice-President
Theresa Hlus, Secretary
Taras Kichma, Treasurer
Ukrainian Catholic Youth of Canada
Rev. Bohdan Nahachewsky, Spiritual Advisor
Rev. Ireneus Prystajecky, osbm, Spiritual Advisor
Michael Buckler, Co-leader
Marissa Nahirney, Co-leader
Emily Storie, Treasurer
Alyssa Liedke, Member
Alicia Chichak, Member
Victoria Kostyniuk, Member
Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League
Rev. Janko Herbut, Spiritual Advisor
Evelyn Eveneshen, Past President
Joyce Chrunik-Rudiak, President
Steffie Chmilar, Vice President
Barbara Olynyk, Vice President
Krystyna Sendziak, Vice President
Maryann Phillips, Recording Secretary
Shirley Rudnitski, Treasurer
Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada
Very Rev. Michael Kowalchyk, Spiritual Advisor
Orest Boychuk, President
Walter Kowalchyk, Vice-President
Greg Balko, Secretary
Ed Hladunewich, Treasurer
Knights of Columbus, Eparchy of Edmonton Chapter
Rev. Greg Faryna, Spiritual Advisor
Morris Chichak, President
Terrance Stychyshyn, Vice-President
Greg Warwa, Secretary/Treasurer
© 2013 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330