The North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation
SCOBA Chairman: Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh
Catholic Chairman: Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk of Cincinnati
Sponsored jointly on the Catholic side by the USCCB and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. The Orthodox side is sponsored by the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of America (SCOBA).
The members of national bilateral dialogue commissions are sanctioned by the hierarchies of the two churches to examine divisive issues, and to make recommendations regarding ways to overcome them. As such, the agreed statements are issued on the authority of the dialogue commission itself, and do not bind the authorities of either church.
- Steps Towards A Reunited Church: A Sketch Of An Orthodox-Catholic Vision For The Future (October 2, 2010)
- Celebrating Easter/Pascha Together (October 1, 2010)
- A Common Response to the Joint International Commission for the Theological Dialogue Between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church Regarding the Ravenna Document “Ecclesiological and Canonical Consequences of the Sacramental Nature of the Church: Ecclesial Communion, Conciliarity and Authority” (October 24, 2009)
- “The Filioque: A Church-Dividing Issue?” (October 25, 2003)
- “Sharing the Ministry of Reconciliation” (June 10, 2000)
- “Baptism and ‘Sacramental Economy” (June 3, 1999)
- “Common Response to the Aleppo Statement on the Date of Easter/Pascha” (October 31, 1998) For the Aleppo Document, click here:
- “A Response of the Orthodox/Roman Catholic Consultation in the United States to the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church regarding the Balamand Document (dated June 23, 1993): ‘Uniatism, Method of Union of the Past, and the Present Search for Full Communion'” (October 15, 1994).
- “Joint Statement of the United States Orthodox/Roman Catholic Consultation on Tensions in Eastern Europe Related to ‘Uniatism'” (May 28, 1992).
- “A Joint Communique of the Orthodox/Roman Catholic Consultation in the United States on Current Tensions between our Churches in Eastern Europe” (October 20, 1990).
- “An Agreed Statement on Conciliarity and Primacy in the Church” (October 28, 1989).
- “A Joint Reaction by the Orthodox/Roman Catholic Consultation in the U.S.A. to the International Orthodox/Roman Catholic Commission’s Text: `The Sacrament of Order in the Sacramental Structure of the Church with particular reference to the importance of Apostolic Succession for the Sanctification and Unity of the People of God'” (October 28, 1989).
- “A Response to the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church regarding the Bari Document: `Faith, Sacraments, and the Unity of the Church'” (June 2, 1988).
- “Apostolicity as God’s Gift in the Life of the Church” (November 1, 1986).
- “An Agreed Statement on the Lima Document Baptism, Eucharist and Ministry by the Eastern Orthodox/Roman Catholic Consultation, USA” (October 27, 1984).
- “A Response to the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church regarding the Munich Document: `The Mystery of the Church and of the Eucharist in the Light of the Mystery of the Holy Trinity'” (May 25, 1983).
- “Joint Recommendations on the Spiritual Formation of Children of Marriages between Orthodox and Roman Catholics” (October 11, 1980).
- “An Agreed Statement on the Sanctity of Marriage” (December 8, 1978).
- “Reaction of Orthodox-Roman Catholic Dialogue to the Agenda of the Great and Holy Council of the Orthodox Church” (September 29, 1977).
- “The Principle of Economy: A Joint Statement” (May 19, 1976).
- “The Pastoral Office: A Joint Statement” (May 19, 1976).
- “An Agreed Statement on the Church” (December 10, 1974).
- “An Agreed Statement on Respect for Life” (May 24, 1974).
- “An Agreed Statement on Mixed Marriage” (Nov. 4, 1971). Note: An earlier version of this paper was approved at the sixth meeting, May 20, 1970; however, certain revisions were introduced and approved at the eighth meeting of the consultation on Nov. 4, 1971).
- “An Agreed Statement on the Holy Eucharist” (December 13, 1969).
- “A Statement by the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Bilateral Consultation on Persecution of the Greek Orthodox Community in Turkey” (January 25, 1978)
- “Reaction to the Anthimos/Medeiros Agreement” (May 29, 1982)