Camrose District

 

Pastor: Very Rev. Mark Bayrock

Parish: Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Location:

4823 – 53a Street
Camrose, Alberta

Office Phone: (780) 679-0975

Website: camrose.eeparchy.com/

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

Camrose and District Google Calendar LInk

 

Sunday Liturgy:
Every Sunday

PROTECTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Покрови Матері Божої

Location: 4901-42 St., Camrose. The Parish was founded in 1957 and the church was consecrated by Bishop Neil Savaryn in the presence of Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn, OSBM. After Fr. Hrynyshyn the following Eparchial clergy served the community and the suring areas: Fr. George Maly (1959-1960), Fr. Anthony Pawliuk (1960-1962), Fr. Roman Hankevych (1963-1964), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1965-1966), Fr. Nicholas Holowaty (1966-1967), Fr. Myron Martynkiw (1967-1986), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1987-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1991-1993), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1993-1999), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (1999-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Holy Trinity

Location: Calmar, Alberta

CALMAR (town) – HOLY TRINITY Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Трійц

The land in the town of Calmar was donated by Ivan Vorkun and Ivan Ivanykha organized the idea of the parish. The founding meeting of the parish was held on March 14, 1948. The church was built in 1947-1949 to take care of the people from the farm area who had moved into the town. The church is located approx. 50 km. southwest from Edmonton. The parishioners wanted to remain on the Julian calendar, while on the farms they were changing to the Gregorian calendar (see Calmar – Immaculate Conception of the BVM). In 1979 the majority decided to use the Gregorian calendar. The cemetery (1.47 acres) is located 1.6 km. south. Originally there were 30 families. On the opposite side of the road a Ukrainian Catholic National hall ( Український Католицький Народний Дім) was built in 1939 and supported by the Ukrainian Catholic communities of Calmar and Leduc. It was sold to the local Ukrainian Zirka dance group in 2004 for $30,000.00. The Parish enjoyed the active participation of UCWL, BUCC and UCYC.

The Parish was always served by the Basilian Fathers: Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk (1953), Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1954), Fr. Martin Pryma (1955), Fr. Borys Lysak (1956-1957), Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1964-1967), Fr. Myron Chimy (1968-1970), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1971-1976), Fr. Orest Slobodian (1976-1982) and from 1985 Fr. Sylvester Kuzel; Fr. John Sembrat (-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).


Parish: Immaculate Conception
Location: Calmar (Farms)

CALMAR (farms) – IMMACULATE CONCEPTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary – Парафія Непорочного Зачаття Пречистої Діви Марії

Location: SE Sec. 7, Twp. 50-Rge 26, W4 (lot 185’ x 155’).1.6 km. East & 1.6 km. North of Calmar. The church is also known in the community as St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church. The first Ukrainians came to the locality from the district of Yaroslav, Halychyna, in the early 1900’s and the first services were celebrated by Fr. Matthew Hura, OSBM, in 1907. The first church was built in 1912. Later the community grew stronger, so the old church was dismantled and the building material was used to build the new church in 1938 (cost $6,000.00). The building committee members were: A. Pidhirnyi, V. Sereda, B. Manchak and I. Sikora. The new church was built by Nykyfor and Ivan Kozak, supported by the parishioners. On the side of the church you find a tall brick structure, the bell tower. There were approx. 30 founding families with 200 children; in 1953 there were 40 families, and in 1968 28 families. The church is approx. 55 km. from Edmonton. The Gregorian calendar has been in use from 1945. The parish cemetery is 400 m. from the church.

Basilian Fathers who served the Parish: Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk (1953), Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1954), Fr. Martin Pryma (1955), Fr. Borys Lysak (1956-1957), Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1964-1967), Fr. Myron Chimy (1968-1970), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1971-1976), Fr. Orest Slobodian (1976-1982) and from 1985 Fr. Sylvester Kuzel; Fr. John Sembrat (-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

 


 

Parish: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Location: Holden Farm, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

PRESENTATION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Введення в Храм Пресв. Богородиці

Location: 13 km. south of Holden. The first settler was Anton Tchir (Tkhir) from the village of Ninovych, district of Yaroslav. Shortly after, Stefan and Yuriy Liashkovskyi, Luka Mulyk and others arrived. In 1907 there approximately 22 Ukrainian families. That year the idea of having a church was on the people’s minds. Fr. M. Hura, a Basilian priest who already served an established community in Kopernik, was afraid that it would be a great financial burden on the people. A parishioner by the name of Ivan Babiak donated 2 acres of land for the church and the cemetery, and in the same year a small church was built. Here are the names of the founders: A. Tchir, A. Komarnickyj, O. Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk, Yu. Liashkovskyi, S. Liashkovskyi, A. Hladylo, T. Malowany, T. Umrysh, I. Babiak, D. Ozhybko, H. Pastushok, J. Mulyk, L. Mulyk, S. Kondro, D. Komarnickyj. Every parishioner donated at least $100.00 for the construction of the new church in 1916, worth $3,000.00. The same year the trustees S. Laishkovskyi, H. Pastushok and J. Mulyk incorporated the church land. The expenses in building the church structure were paid in cash. In 1941 there were 41 families in the Parish with 56 children attending the religion and Ukrainian classes held by the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate. Bishop Nykyta Budka visited the Parish on November 9, 1915 and in 1917; Bishop Basil Ladyka visited them on July 10, 1932 and July 27, 1941. Basilian priests that served the Parish: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Sophron Diakovych, Fr. Methodius Hannas, Fr. Innocent Rychkun, Fr. Theodosius Dobko and Fr. Eugene Bilyk. Eparchial clergy that served the Parish: Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1951-1957), Fr. Bohdan Lozynsky (1957-1963), Fr. Roman Hankewych (1963-1964), Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1970-1984), Fr. Richard Zuback (1985-1986), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1987-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1991-1992), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1993-1998), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (2000-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Descent of the Holy Spirit
Location: Holden, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

 

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish” ]HOLY SPIRIT [Holy Ghost] Parish – Парафія Зіслання Святого Духа 

The church land (3 lots) was acquired in 1942 on the outskirts of Holden. The wooden church was built in 1943 (66’ x 28’) and there is a church hall. The cemetery (6 acres of land) was acquired in 1945. The church residence was bought in 1952 for $6,500.00. In 1958 there were approximately 150 people. The Parish was looked after by the Basilian Fathers from 1932 until 1949 (Fr. Eugene Bilyk, OSBM). The permanent records are kept in Camrose since 1986. The Parish has its own parish council and UCWL. There were two vocations: Fr. John Kratko and Fr. Cyril Mykytiuk, OSBM. The Eparchial clergy who served the community: Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1951-1957), Fr. Bohdan Lozynsky (1957-1963 ), Fr. Roman Hankewych (1963-1964), Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1969-1984), Fr. Richard Zuback (1985-1986), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1987-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1991-1992), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1993-1998), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (2000-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Holy Trinity
Location: Leduc

LEDUC (RABBIT HILL) – HOLY TRINITY Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Трійці

 Location: 8 km. from the Leduc train station and 13 km. northwest from the town of Leduc.

The first Ukrainians settlers in the area came in 1900-1912 from the district of Yaroslav (Jaroslaw) in Ukraine. The first church was built in 1900, and at that time the locality was known as Rabbit Hill. The first services were held in 1902 by Fr. Sozont Dydyk, OSBM, who resided in Rabbit Hill and Rosthern, Sask., and took care of the surrounding area, including Edmonton, until 1906.

The second church was built by Fr. Philip Ruh, OMI, in 1917-1918. This church has been designated as a historical site by the Government of Alberta, with the instruction that it be preserved and restored to the original architectural design, although electrical lighting and gas heating has been installed. The total area of the church grounds is 22 acres. Being 23 km. from Edmonton, the parish has been attended from St. Basil the Great since 1917. The Gregorian calendar has been in use since 1945.

There have been 2 religious vocations from the parish: Fr. Methodius Hannas, OSBM, and Sr. Josaphata Tymochko, SSMI. The children of the parish attend St. Basil’s Camp at Pigeon Lake.

The Holy Trinity cemetery (2 acres) was purchased by the parish in 1917.

The Parish owned their own “Український Католицький Народний Дім” (Ukrainian Catholic National Hall) in Calmar, where there were many concerts for many years and was a center of Ukrainians in between Leduc and Calmar. The hall was sold to the Ukrainian dance group in the winter of 2004.

 



Parish:
Transfiguration of Our Lord

Location: Round Hill, Alberta

 

TRANSFIGURATION Parish – Парафія Преображення Господнього

The first settlers arrived in 1901 from Western Ukraine (Husiatyn and Chortkiv Regions). The 40 acres of land was provided by the government in 1903: 15 acres for the cemetery, 15 acres for the priest and the residence, 10 acres for the church structure). The first church was built in 1903 (30’ x 24’) on the initiative of the parishioners themselves. The church was blessed by Fr. Sozont Dydyk on August 19, 1904. The priest’s residence was added in 1905 and a new residence was built in 1946 (50’ x 34’). In 1925 a bigger church (72’ x 40’) was built in the form of a cross with one dome in the centre and two small ones in the front. The building costs were $9,000.00. Two well known Ukrainian church painters painted the inside of the church: altar part by Lipynskyj and the rest by Theodor Baran in 1958. There is also a bell tower. The church bell was purchased in 1905 by Petro Stefura in France for $175.00. The first visitation was held on July 30, 1933 by Bishop Basil Ladyka; Bishop Neil Savaryn visited the church in 1970. Later every bishop was visiting the parish community. Cantors were: M. Procyshyn, Borynets, M. Kohut, L. Ladubits, Hnat Kaliavskyi, A. Pasiuk, P. Petrushynskyj, Fedushchak, P. Holovatiuk, Panchyshyn, Pavlo Kaliavskyj and others. There were two vocations from the parish: Sr. Bonaventura (Anna Kalawska), SSMI, and Sr. M. Christine (Anna Wenger), OSB. Basilian Fathers who served the parish: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Matthew Sianchuk, Fr. Innocent Rychkun, Fr.George. Zydan, Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich, Fr. Josaphat Jean, Fr. Sophron Dyakowich, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Methodius Hannas, Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk, Fr. Andrew Truch, Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn. The Eparchial clergy who served the community: Fr. George Maly (1957-19–), Fr. Anthony Pawliuk, Fr. Roman Hankewych (1963-1964), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk, Fr. Nicholas Holowaty, Fr. Myron Martynkiw, Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1969-1984), Fr. Richard Zuback (1985-1986), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1987-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1991-1992), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1993-1998), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (2000-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: St. John the Baptist
Location: Thorsby

THORSBY – St. JOHN the BAPTIST Parish – Парафія Різдва св. Івана Хрестителя

Location: NW 11-49-1-5.: 1 km. south of Thorsby. In 1907 the first church of St. Nicholas was built on 10 acres of land donated by the Government: 5 km. south-west from Thorsby. The first parish priest who blessed the church and the cemetery was Fr. Matthew Hura, OSBM. After three years as a Ukrainian Catholic Church the church land was taken over by the Orthodox. Ukrainian Catholics purchased 2 acres of land 5 km. east of Thorsby (SW 13-49-28-4) and built a church dedicating it to “Nativity of St. John Baptist”. In 1931 the parishioners purchased a parcel in the town (#5 Blk.1, Pl. 6338 E.T.) and transported the whole church structure to the new place. In 1959 the decision was made to build a new church: construction started in 1961 and was completed in 1969. On July 7 (the feast day) the church was consecrated by Bishop Neil Savaryn and Fr. Raphael Melnyk. The Parish has two cemeteries. On October 26, 1980 a monument was placed in front of the church commemorating 75 th anniversary of the Province of Alberta

Services were held once a month by the following Basilian Fathers: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. John Teodorovych, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Basil Kaminetsky, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Gregory Chmilar, Fr. Boniface Sloboda, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk (1953), , Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1954), Fr. Martin Pryma (1955), Fr. Methodius Hannas, Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Borys (Paul) Lysak (1956- ), Fr. Myron Chimy (1967-1971), Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1985)Fr. John Sembrat (-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

 


 

Parish: Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Location: Hay Lakes, Alberta

 

 

 

 

EXALTATION of the HOLY CROSS Parish – Парафія Воздвиження Чесного Хреста

Location : SE 14-48-22-W 4M . The church is 9 km. from the town of Hay Lakes. The land was donated by Nicholas Maruschak in 1921, who settled there in 1901. The plans were prepared by Rev. Philip Ruh, the carpenter was Fred Hayduk and the church was built in 1929 by volunteers costing the parishioners approximately $10,000.00. The church structure was expanded in 1957 to accommodate the growing number of the faithful. Ukrainian settlements started in 1909. The first active parishioners were: G. Sych, M. Shavaha, N. Maruschak, N. Kowal, M. Kosovych, H. Sych, Hr. Rubis, M. Karpovych, N. Sapeliag, I. Radavec, M. Kohut and H. Nalyvayko. During the first part of the construction the people were united in building the church. When Nicholas Maruschak donated the land and gave the title to the church and not to the trustees, half of the membership refused to support the initiative. The six remaining families donated their time and money to complete the work. After the completion of the building the rest of the parishioners rejoined the faithful. Until 1970 the UCWLC was very active in the parish. First visitation of the Parish was on Sept. 27, 1935 by Bishop Basil Ladyka; in September 1956 Bishop Neil Savaryn. Ukrainian Bishop Andriy Sapelak of Argentina, who had some relatives in Hay Lakes paid a visit on July 19, 1962. Bishops Demetrius Greschuk, Myron Daciuk and Lawrence Huculak also visited the Parish. The Basilian Fathers served the community until 1956: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1950-1956). The Eparchial clergy who served the community were: Fr. George Maly (1957-1961), Fr. Anthony Pawliuk (1962), Fr. Roman Hankewych (1963-1964), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk, Fr. Nicholas Holowaty, Fr. Oles Zachariasevych, Fr. Myron Martynkiw (1983-1986), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1987-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1990-1992), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1992-1998), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1998-1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (1999-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Location: Daysland, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

 

 

ASSUMPTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Успіння Матері Божої  

The Parish was incorporated in 1938. An old Roman Catholic Church was bought and relocated to the new place and in the spring of 1939 the first Divine Liturgy was held. From the beginnings there were 11 active families. Originally all members belonged to Kopernik parish, which at that time was too far away. Construction of a second brick church (68’ x 32’) began in 1953. The cemetery is shared with the Roman Catholics. The services were provided from 1936 by the Basilian Fathers: e.g. Fr. Innocent Rychkun and Fr. Eugene Bilyk. From 1954 the Eparchial clergy looked after the faithful: Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1954-1957), Fr. Bohdan Lozynsky (1957-1963), Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1969-1984), Fr. Richard Zuback (1985-1987), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1988-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1991-1992), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak ( 1993-1998), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (2000-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008-2013), Fr. Greg Faryna (2013-2017), Fr. Mark Bayrock (2017-).