Lamont District

Pastor: Rev. Daniel Wach, OSBM

Parish: St. John the Baptist

Location:

Lamont, Alberta
48 Street and 50th Avenue

Office Phone: (780) 451-5879

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

Sunday Liturgy:
10:00 a.m.

District Map:

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: St. JOHN the BAPTIST Parish – Парафія св. Івана Хрестителя

Originally the Ukrainian Catholic faithful of the town of Lamont, who arrived here in 1912, were attending the churches in Chipman, Star and Skaro. The first settler and his family (Nykola Markovskyi) arrived from the village Rusiv, Sniatyn district.

In 1937 Fr. Matthew Sianchuk, OSBM, had the Divine Liturgy at the home of J. Letawsky, and later Fr. Nicholas Kohut, OSBM, in the home of Pylyp Pavliuk. In 1940 after the Christmas celebration the parishioners had their first Parish meeting, presided by Fr. Kohut. The following were elected to the new parish council: Mr. Vasyl Ozibko (vice-president), Mr. P. Pavliuk secretary) and Dmytro Horpyniuk (treasurer). A few days later 3 acres of land were acquired behind the school for $100.00. The official transfer of the land happened on June 16, 1941. The Praznyk (feast of St. John the Baptist following the Julian calendar) was celebrated by Fr. Kohut in the presence of hundreds of faithful from the surrounding areas. The first Parish picnic was held on the newly acquired land. In 1941 the parishioners purchased a school building for $150.00; transfer of the school was $195.00 and the foundation $130.00.

The history of the parish is connected with the Basilian Fathers in Mundare. From there the spiritual assistance was given by Fathers: Matthew Sianchuk (1937-1938), Nicholas Kohut (1937-1940), Lawrence Dzygolyk (1941-1942), Epiphany Paschak (1943), Mark Romanowych (1944), Gregory Chmilar (1944), Eugene Bilyk (1944-1945), Orest Zaseybida (1945-1946), Gregory Chmilar (1946), Benjamin Baranyk (1947), Victor Soroka (1948), Sylvester Kuzel (1980-1983), Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), John Sembrat (1994-1995), Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Theodosius Machinski (1997-1999), Matthew Drury (2000-2006) and Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).

Two Eparchial priests also served the community: Basil Chopey (1949-1952) and Eugene Dmytruk (1953-1980).

The Parish also provided our Church with vocations: Fr. Stephen Chmilar (later Bishop of Toronto, Ont.), Basilian priests: Josaphat Tyrkalo, Damien Weleshchuk, Mark Zazula; and Sr. Taida Mary Letawsky, SSMI.
[/wpspoiler]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Location: Delph, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: PRESENTATION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Введення в храм Пренепорочної Діви Марії
Location: Lot 18, Bl. 58, Plan 18 (3 acres of land donated by Stefan Rudko; 19 km. from Waskatenau and 24 km. from St. Michael). Ukrainians from Zvenach, Skomorokh and Strebanhobichi (district of Chortkiv) in Ukraine began to settle in this locality in 1900. The church was incorporated in 1911. The old church was demolished and a new church was built in 1917. Inside painting was done by Petro Lypynskyi in 1925. The Parish welcomed Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1925 and Bishop Basil Ladyka in 1929. There is a cemetery 150 m. from the church building. William F. Melnyk donated 3 acres of land in 1912 which was blessed by Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, OSBM. The church and the hall (Narodnyi dim built in 1929) were the centre of parish and community life.From 1913 until 1948 the parish was served by the Basilian Fathers, and then the Eparchial clergy served it from 1949 until 1979. Starting in 1980 the Basilian Fathers again are looking after the parish. Services are held monthly. The parish provided our Church with two vocations: Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, OSBM, and Sr. Esther Marie Kurylo, SSMI. For many years Joe Borys served as cantor.The Basilian Fathers who served the Parish on different occasions: Fr. Basil Ladyka (1913-1921), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1913-1923 and 1929-1931), Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1915-1929), Fr. Matthew Hura (1916 & 1919), Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1923 & 1929), Fr. George Zydan (1927, 1931-1932, 1942-1943), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1929 & 1931), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1930-1931), Fr. Nicon Horechko (1931-1933), Fr. Paul Hewko (1933 & 1936), Fr. Basil Kamenetsky (1930 & 1934), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1932-1934), Fr. Damascene Popovych (1930-1932 & 1937), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1935-1936 & 1942-1953), Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk (1936 & 1944), Fr. Lazarus Palenkach (1936-1937), Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk (1938), Fr. Athanasius Chimy (1938), Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1937-1940 & 1943), Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk (1940-1941), Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk (1941-1943), Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1943-1944), Fr. Ggregory Chmilar (1944-1946), Fr. Josaphat Jean (1945), Fr. Sebastian Kurylo (1946), Fr. Sergio Fedyniak (1947), Fr. Marian Horishny (1946-1947), Fr. Hilarion Adams (1947-1948), Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1979-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-1999), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006- ).The Eparchial clergy who served the community were: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949) and Fr. Eugene Dmytruk (1950-1979).[/wpspoiler]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: St. Michael the Archangel
Location: Limestone, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

 

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: St. MICHAEL Parish – Парафія св. Михаїла

The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in 1898 from the village of Strilkivtsi, of the district of Borshchiw in Ukraine. The church property is located on 4 acres of land (NW S.31-T.56-R.17-4M), 2 acres acquired in 1904 and the other 2 in 1939. The Parish was established in 1904 and the first church was built in 1909; the second church (60’ x 40’) was built in 1939 for $3,800.00. A church residence was also built in 1934. The church’s location was also known as Wostok (Iwasiuky). The distance from the Parish to Wostok is 9 km. and to St. Michael is 13 km. The church was incorporated under the Greek Catholic charter in Alberta by the trustees themselves in 1939.

The first settlers and founders of the church were: D. Iwasiuk, O. Buga, P. Schur, I. Schur, O. Stelmach, J. Stelmach, D. Tomyn, A. Romaniuk, V. Hluchy, V. Soloniuk, N. Cymbaliuk, T. Zazula, M. Knysh and V. Luchka.

The parishioners, thanks to their outstanding artistic leaders Anton Litawsky (1917) and from 1924 Stephen Romaniuk (son of Ukrainian pioneers) worked hard with the youth in preparing concerts for different occasions. Even drama presentations were gperformed for the many interested viewers. Thanks to the efforts of the community a National Hall (Narodnyi Dim) was built in 1934 (Pl.36-54-18-4). After World War II Dmytro Hutsul looked after the cultural events, being also a cantor (dyak) in the church.

Spiritual care was initially provided by a Polish priest, Fr. Francis Olshevski (1898-1904). From 1904 the Basilian Fathers from Mundare provided the spiritual care: Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1910, 1915-1923, 1926), Fr. Basil Ladyka (1915-1917 & 1919-1925), Fr. Anthony Strotsky, Fr. Matthew Hura (1915), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1910, 1915-1920), Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich (1922), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1922, 1926), Fr. George Zydan (1927-1928), Fr. Sozont Dyakowich (1927-1928), Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. Neil Savaryn (1935), Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Athanasius Chimy (1938-1940), Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Andrew Truch, Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk, Fr. Markian Pasichnyk, Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk, Fr. Orest Zaseybida (1944-1946), Fr. Victor Soroka (1945), Fr. Marian Horishny (1947), Fr. Tarcisius Iwanyshyn (1947), Fr. Patrick Paschak (1948).

The Eparchial clergy who served the community were: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949) and Fr. Eugene Dmytruk (1950-1980).

From 1980 the following Basilian Fathers served the Parish: Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1980-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-2000), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).[/wpspoiler]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Location: Star-Peno, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

 

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: ASSUMPTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Успіння Матері Божої
Location: NW Sect. 28, T. 56, Pl. 19-4: 8 acres of land, cemetery included, was purchased in 1909. The district of Star was known also as Edna or Beaver Creek. The Ukrainian settlers who populated the area from 1894 came primarily from the villages of Nebyliv and Perehinsk, Kalush region, in Western Ukraine. In 1897 Fr. Nestor Dmytriw, who was a publisher of the Ukrainian newspaper in the U.S.A., “Svoboda”, came to visit Ukrainian settlers in Winnipeg, Stuartburn and Terebovlia (today Valley River close to Dauphin, Manitoba) and Edna-Star in Alberta. Fr. Nestor Dmytriw arrived in Edna-Star on Good Saturday on April 24, 1897. The Resurrection Liturgy on Easter Sunday and Monday he celebrated in Limestone Lake and blessed the paskha food for the large numbers of faithful. On Easter Tuesday Fr. Nestor was in Wostok and held services in the house of Ivan Halka. Day after day he was visiting the whole district. On May 2, 1897, St. Thomas Sunday, Fr. Dmytriw blessed the cemetery and asked the faithful to put a fence on the property designated by the government for religious needs. He asked also to put up a cross. At the same time the first Parish council was chosen (Kost Nemyrsky, Ivan Danchuk, Mykhailo Melnyk, Ivan Sakhman, Mykhailo Pulishy and secretary Mykola Spachynsky) and the first collection for the “Greek-Catholic Church in Beaver Creek” (exactly so!) brought in $5.00.

In August 1897 the new Auxiliary Bishop of St. Albert (from 1912 of Edmonton), Alberta, Emile Joseph Legal, O.M.I. (1849-1920) came for a pastoral visit to the community. He was very supportive and promised to get a Ukrainian priest as soon as possible. In the fall of 1897 Fr. Dmytriw returned to Edna-Star for three weeks. The Roman Catholic Bishop came for the Divine Liturgy of Fr. Dmytriw and offered to pay for the land of the church. By paying for the land he also transferred the title to the St. Albert Diocese. Very soon the Roman Catholic hierarchy realized that the Ukrainian Catholics were very suspicious of them. And Bishop Emile Legal, who tried to do some good, had to recognize that the Ukrainian faithful had had bad experiences with the Polish Catholics in their homeland. So the land title was returned to the Parish trustees, who in turn after a short time of peace left the Ukrainian Catholic Church and joined the Russian Orthodox Church.

During the Christmas season in January 1898 the faithful were visiting the houses with koliada (Christmas carols). This brought the church $42.00. In the spring of the same year the parishioners started to build the church with Fr. Paul Tymkewych and in the fall of 1898 the building was completed. After a short stay Fr. Tymkewych left for the United States, and the faithful were meeting without a priest, singing Utrenia (Matins service), Vechirnia (Vespers) and religious songs. In February 1900 the news arrived that Fr. John Zaklynsky from the United States was available to come as a priest. He arrived on July 20, 1900 and on August 5 th in the presence of many people blessed the new church, the first Ukrainian Catholic church in Canada. Fr. Zaklynsky being very dynamic started to organize other church communities. He settled at the home of Fedor Melnyk, vis-à-vis of the church. Shortly after, the fight for the church started.

Ukrainian Greek Catholics who left their holy faith and joined the Russian orthodoxy started to build a church in Wostok. The services were provided by the Russian clergy Skebitski and to his support they received also Korchinski from Alaska in November 1900. Korchinski also spoke Ukrainian and was a good organizer. He carried “healing water” and in that way attracted much attention. The Russian clergy was paid by the Russian Imperial fund, created after Alaska was sold to the United States. One of the two first settlers to Canada Ivan Pylypiv and others started to find interest in the Russian orthodoxy, that offered clergy free of charge. The final reason for the split was the fact that $74.00 were missing from the treasurer Fedor Melnyk’s accounts. Blamed was Fr. Zaklynsky, who was forced to assign a new Parish executive on December 18, 1900: Pavlo Pasemko, Petro Melnyk, Mykhailo Pidruchny and Mykhailo Melnyk. Then the friends of the orthodoxy declared: “We have the title of the land, we built the church and we cared for it and now we have to back off. Never!” Pylypiv and his associates went to Wostok and on February 1, 1901 renounced their Greek Catholic Church in public and accepted the orthodoxy. Fr. I. Zaklynsky, disappointed with the conflict, went to Manitoba in 1901. Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky of Lviv, Ukraine, sent Fr. Basil Zholdak to investigate the situation in Edna-Star. He celebrated Easter with the faithful in an improvised chapel with a tabernacle (Kyvot) from Ukraine. In the late fall Fr. Zholdak returned from Lviv with three Basilian Fathers and four Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate. Nine days after arrival in Edmonton, Fr. Platonid Filas, OSBM, assigned Fr. Anthony Strotsky to look after the parish. Later other Basilian Fathers were visiting the community. Mykola Tyckowsky donated 2 pieces of his farm land: one for the church and one for the cemetery and in 1909 the good faithful started to build a new church. The spiritual leader Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, visiting Canada in 1910, personally came to meet the outstanding and heroic community and blessed the cross for the dome. Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, OSBM, looked after the people at this time and took care of the construction of the church. Their second church the parishioners dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ. The church was completed in 1911 and it was blessed by the first Ukrainian Catholic bishop in Canada Nykyta Budka in 1913.

But somebody was not happy that the Ukrainian Catholic community survived the provoked and premeditated split, and on the night before Good Thursday in 1922 burned the church to ashes. Yurij Melnyk found in the ashes only a few pressed icons of Jesus Christ and His Most Holy Mother Mary, the four evangelists and some metallic parts of the Holy Gospel from the altar. The cross, blessed by Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky and which is now attached to the wall of the new church, survived the destruction. The dedicated parishioners did not give up. For the small amount of money received from the insurance company they started to build their third church. S. Malowany, son of Mykola, organized an artistic group (leader was Kasian Letawsky), who performed a Ukrainian drama “Pibralysia”. In 1926, with the donations from their performances and donations of the parishioners, they started to build the church that stands today. L.Checkniat was the contractor. The church was built close to the cemetery on the farm of Tyckowsky. The church is dedicated to the Assumption (in the Eastern church we use the word Dormition – in Ukrainian Uspennia) of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church was completed in 1927 and in 1930 P. Lypynsky also finished the painting of the church. On the feast day of the church, Bishop Basil Ladyka, OSBM, consecrated the church. On October 9 th, 1938 the first priest from the parish, Fr. Basil Skubleny, OSBM, celebrated his first Divine Liturgy.

The Parish gave our Church two Basilian Fathers: Fr. Basil Skubleny (+1940 in Rome) and Fr. Boniface Malowany who celebrated his first Divine Liturgy in the Parish on July 16, 1961. Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate also had vocations: Sisters Suzanne Kokuruds, Basil Starko, Theophane Malowany, Taida Letawsky, and Veronica, Maria and Theresa Melnyk.

From the beginnings we have the following Eparchial priests: Fr. Nestor Dmytriw (1897), Fr. Paul Tymkewych (1898), Fr. John Zaklynsky (1900-1901).

Starting from 1902 the Basilian Fathers looked after the parish: Fr. Anthony Strotsky (1902-1904), Fr. Platonid Filas (1904), Fr. Athanasius Filipiw (1905-1906), Fr. John Chrysostom Tymochko (1905-1909), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1910-1912, 1917-1922 and 1930), Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1915-1917, 1920-1922 and 1926-1929), Fr. Matthew Hura (1916), Fr. Basil Ladyka (1914-1921), Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1922), Fr. George Zydan (1926-1927, 1932 and 1942), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1929-1931), Fr. Damascene Popovych (1930), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1931), Fr. Mark Romanowych (1933), Fr. Nicon Horechko (1933), Fr. Paul Hewko (1933 and 1936), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1934-1936), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1933-1937), Fr. Lazarus Palenkach (1936-1937), Fr. Neil Savaryn (1937), Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo (1937-1938, 1942), Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1938-1940), Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk (1943), Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1944-1945), Fr. Gregory Chmilar (1944-1946), Fr. Orest Zaseybida (1945), Fr. Hilarion Adams (1947-1948), Fr. Patrick Paschak (1948, Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk 1949).

In 1949-1956 Fr. Basil Chopey and from 1957 to 1968 Fr. Peter Iwanec, both Eparchial clergy, were serving the community.

Again from 1968 Basilian fathers continue to provide spiritual care of the parish: Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1968-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1984-1987), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-1999), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006) and Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).[/wpspoiler]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Location: Skaro, Alberta

 

 

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: EXALTATION of the HOLY CROSS Parish – Церква Воздвиження Чесного Хреста
Location S.E. 1-57-20-4. Ukrainian settlements in the region were organized in 1898. The first church was built in 1911; the second in 1945-1950 (72’x30’, brick, bell tower, cost $46,190.92). The church was consecrated on August 11, 1963 by the late Bishop Neil Savaryn and with the assistance of Fathers: Ivanec, Dmytruk, Hurko and N. Swirsky, OSBM. The whole church property, cemetery included, has 20 acres.

The 40 acres of land assigned by the county for the church and the cemetery was blessed by Fr. Paul Tymkevych on August 6 th, 1898. Nobody would have ever dreamed that the Russian Orthodox Church would divide the community into two groups. The county refused to divide the land, so the Ukrainian Greek Catholics would have their peace of land. Mr. Ivan Kit, a leader in the Ukrainian Catholic community, together with IUrko Onushko appealed to the government, stating their right to be partners in the land. They hired a lawyer and the Ukrainian Catholics won half of the property (north portion was given to the Orthodox and southern portion to the Ukrainian Catholics. By 1911 there was a building fund with the first donors. We must remember that at the same time in Star there was a similar confrontation and that after many good and honest efforts the Ukrainian Catholic side lost their appeal in the courts. Many of the people were forced to pay the court expenses in hundreds of dollars. Today we admire the parishioners of Skaro for their courage and pride in looking to the future. The good parishioners survived all the obstacles and with dedication achieved their goals.

The Parish welcomed on September 27, 1917 and April 3, 1923 Bishop Nykyta Budka; September 27, 1929 Bishop Basil Ladyka; August 26, 1951 Bishop Neil Savaryn. The Parish had two priestly vocations to the Basilian Order: Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo and Basil Skubleny ; one Sisters Servant of Mary Immaculate, Sister Theophane Malowany, SSMI.

Fr. Nestor Dmytriw celebrated the first Divine Liturgy at Limestone Lake School in 1897. Fr. Paul Tymkewych served in 1898-1899 and Fr. John Zaklynsky in 1900-1901 and 1903.

The following Basilian Fathers provided the services: Fr. Athanasius Filipiw and Fr. John Tymochko (1904-1910); Fr. Anthony Strotsky (1911-1916); Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky and Fr. Basil Ladyka (1917-1919); Fr. Sozont Dydyk (very often), Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar, Fr. John Teodoroych, Fr. George Zydan and Fr. Sophron Diakowich (1920-1929); Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Paul Olinsky (1930); Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1931); Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky and Fr. George Zydan (1932); Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Nicon Horechko and Fr. Neil Savaryn (1933); Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Mark Romanowych, Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (most of the time) (1934-1935); Fr. Lazarus Palenkach, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Athanasius Chimy and Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1936-1938); Fr. Nicholas Kohut and Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk (1939); Fr. Athanasius Chimy, Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk, Fr. Nicholas Kohut, Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk, Fr. Markian Pasichnyk and Fr. Neil Savaryn (1940); Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk (1941-1942); Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk and Fr. George Zydan (1943); Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1944); Fr. Gregory Chmilar and Fr. Andrew Truch (1945-1946); Fr. Hilarion Adams, Fr. Eugene Bilyk, Fr. Sergio Fedyniak, Fr. Marian Horishny, Fr. Damascene Popovych and Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk (1947-1948).

Then came a period of the Eparchial clergy: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949-1957) and Fr. Peter Iwanec (1957-1972).

rom 1972 the Basilian Fathers continued their services to the community: Fr. Raphael Melnyk, Fr. Soter Pidskalny and Fr. Severian Yakymyshyn (June 25 – Sept. 10, 1972; Fr. Josaphat Konchak (Oct. 1972 – Oct. 3, 1973); Fr. Myron Chmilar and Fr. Stephen Chmilar (Apr. 1, 1973 – Oct. 3, 1982); Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (Apr. 1, 1973 – Oct. 3, 1982); Fr. Vincent Prychidko (Feb. 2, 1986 – Jan. 19, 1986); Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (Nov. 5, 1986 – Oct. 12, 1988); Fr. Daniel Wach (Oct. 6, 1988 – Aug. 20, 1991); Fr. Paul Chomnycky (Oct. 6, 1991 – Oct. 4, 1992); Fr. John Sembrat (Oct. 4, 1992 – Nov. 6, 1994); Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (Dec. 11, 1994 – Feb. 4, 1996); Fr. Myron Chimy (March 25 – Aug. 15, 1996); Fr. Theodosius Machinski (Oct. 6, 1996 – Sept. 1999); Fr. John Sembrat (Sept. 1999 – 2000); Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006); Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).[/wpspoiler]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Location: Leeshore, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

 

 

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: NATIVITY of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія Різдва Пресв. Богородиці
Location: Section 12, Bl. 58, Pl. 20 (15 km. from Waskatenau and 33 km. from Lamont). Ukrainian settlers arrived from the Jaroslav district (Liubyn, Zveniach, Peremyshl, Ninovych). The first services were held in private homes and conducted by the Basilian Fathers. In 1914 the parishioners built their chapel on 3 acres of land, donated by Stefan and Teklia Senyshyn. Three years later it was decided to build a church (60’ x 40’) in the form of a cross with one central dome in the centre. The inside painting was done by Petro Lypynskyi, who painted many churches in our Eparchy. The building organizers were: P. Senyshyn, D. Kotyliak and P. Derevianka. There were 21 families in the parish and every one of them promised to donate $30.00 for the building fund. Special effort was made by S. Senyshyn, I. Halas, P.O. Senyshyn, A. Turko, T. Popyk, P. Derevianka, D. Kotyliak, P. Malowany, P. Kozak and others to finish the construction of the new church. Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky blessed the land and the cemetery in 1916 and started to build in 1918. The church was completely finished in 1928 for approximately $4,000.00. The bell tower was built in 1940 by an immigrant from Yugoslavia by the name Shatina for $75.00. The labor was done mainly by the parishioners. The bell, named “Maria”, was a gift of Petro and Oleksa Senyshyn in 1930. The land with the church and cemetery were incorporated with the Ukrainian Catholic Church in 1926.

The parish had two vocations to the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate – Sister Andrea Synyshyn and Sister Josepha Synyshyn.

The following Basilian clergy were providing the services: Fr. Basil Ladyka (1913-1918 & 1921), Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1910-1922 & 1930-1931), Fr. Matthew Hura (1915 & 1917), Fr. Sozont Dydyk (1916, 1919-1920 & 1922-1929), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1925 & 1929), Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar (1922-1923, 1929), Fr. Damascene Popovych (1930-1931, 1941), Fr. Nicon Horechko (1931-1933), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1931), Fr. Mark Romanovych (1933), Fr. Basil Kamenetsky (1930 & 1933-1934), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1933-1934), Fr. George Zydan (1932, 1942-1943), Fr. Paul Hewko (1932 & 1936), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1935 & 1937, 1943), Fr. Lazarus Palenkach (1937), Fr. Nicholas Kohut (1937-1940), Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk (1936), Fr. Athanasius Chimy (1938 & 1941), Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk (1940), Fr. Christopher Kondratiuk (1941), Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk (1941), Fr. Bernard Dribnenky (1942), Fr. Epiphany Paschak (1943-1944), Fr. Marian Horishny (1946-1947), Fr. Modest Gnesko (1946), Fr. Sergio Fedyniak (1947), Fr. Hilarion Adams (1948), Fr. Benjamin Baranyk (1949), Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk (1949), Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1972-1973), Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1973-1983), Fr. Vincent Prychidko (1983-1986), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1986-1988), Fr. Daniel Wach (1989-1991), Fr. Paul Chomnycky (1992-1993), Fr. John Sembrat (1994-1995), Fr. Josaphat Tyrkalo (1996), Fr. Theodosius Machinski (1997-2000), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006- ). Three Eparchial clergy served the Parish: Fr. Basil Chopey (1949-1957), Fr. Eugene Dmytruk (1950) and Fr. Peter Iwanec (1957-1971).[/wpspoiler]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Location: Chipman, Alberta

Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

 

 

 

 

[wpspoiler name=”History of the Parish”] History of the Parish: NATIVITY of the BVM Parish – Парафія Різдва Пресв. Богородиці
In 1890 2 families of V. Eleniak and I. Pylypiv settled in that region. Many others joined them from Kalush, Yaroslav, Sniatyn and Brody regions in Ukraine.

The first church was built in 1900 3.5 km. from Chipman (Sect. 28 – 54 – 18). Due to conflicts among parishioners, the church building was taken away from the Ukrainian Catholics and given to the Orthodox. The value of the church was approx. $3,000.00 and $1,200.00 were given to the Ukrainian Catholics. This money was given to the treasurer Michael Romaniuk, who kept it until the new church was built. The second church was completed in 1916 in the town of Chipman on 6 acres of land. The church (80’ x 30’) was blessed by Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1918. The contractor was Yanyshevsky and parishioners paid $6,000.00 for the building. Peter Lypynsky painted the church white in 1928. Our Ukrainian traditional iconostasis was installed in 1922 by Pylyp Pawliuk and it was renovated in 1967 by E. Letawsky.

In 1954 a monument was dedicated to the two first settlers from Ukraine V. Eleniak and I. Pylypiw and blessed by Bishop Neil Savaryn.

The cemetery has 2.5 acres of land, was blessed by Bishop Nykyta Budka in 1924 thanks to N. Andriyiv. Close to the church there is a National Hall (Narodnyi dim) (90’ x 32’) originally worth $25,000.00.

In 1962 a 49 member choir was formed with choir director Yakiv Matviy. It performed on many occasions. The choir performed also on radio and TV.

Bishops Nykyta Budka (1918, 1921, 1925), Bas іl Ladyka (Sept.21, 1929, Sept. 7, 1941), Neil Savaryn (Dec. 10, 1967, etc.), Myron D аciuk and Lawrence Huculak paid frequent visits to the church community.

The Parish during the years donated for religious and community purposes and a gift of $1,000.00 for the hospital in Mundare. In the flourishing years, not only the choir but also BUCC, UCWLC and UCYC, a theatre group “Zorya” and Taras Shevchenko Society were part of church life. The parish is no longer served on a regular basis.

The following Basilian Fathers were serving the Parish: Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Neil Savaryn, Fr. Ignatius Lesiuk, Fr. Juvenalis Slota (1949- ), Fr. Gregory Chmilar and Fr. Epiphany Pashchak (1952), Fr. Orest Kupranec (1953), Fr. Eugene Kushko and Fr. Borys Lysak (1954-1956), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1957- ), Fr. Ignatius Holowaychuk (1970-1971, 1977, 2001- ), Fr. Harry Boretsky (1976), Fr. Josaphat Konchak (1986-1987, 1989-2000), Fr. Matthew Drury (2000-2006), Fr. Gabriel Haber (2006-2012), Fr. Daniel Wach (2012-).[/wpspoiler]