Parish: Sts. Volodymyr and Olga
5210 – 40 Avenue
Smoky Lake, Alberta
Sts. VOLODYMYR and OLHA Parish – Парафія свв. Володимира і Ольги
The faithful in Smoky Lake and surrounding areas decided to have a church built in their town. The construction took approximately 10 years from 1964 to 1974. Already in July 1970 the church (80’ x 38’ with three small domes in front) was used for the services. Bishop Neil Savaryn blessed the church and congratulated the faithful for their great achievement. The church cemetery is located 800 m. from the church building. Most of the people came from Bukovyna and some from Western Ukraine. In 1964 there were approximately 40 families who elected their building committee: M. Kulchytsky, P. Palichuk, V. Nakonechny, N. Skoropad, V. Vasaraba, N. Kurylo and I. Bodnar. The choir director was Semen Matyshak from Edmonton.
The first Parish priests were Fr. Theophile Hurko (1963-1976), who was the leader behind the new centrally located church, Fr. Michael Kowalchyk (1976-1978), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1979-1984), Fr. Anton Tarasenko (1984-1995), Fr. Serhiy Harahuc (1996-1998), Fr. William Hupalo (1999-2000), Fr. Janko Herbut (2000-2008); Fr. Stanislav Bjeli (2008-2013).
Parish: St. Nicholas
Location: Buchach, Alberta
See INNISFREE (BUCHACH)
St. JOSAPHAT Parish – Парафія св. свщм. Йосафата
Location: Town of Innisfree (Lot 1 & 2, Bl. 12, Pl. 8776) is located 160 km. east of Edmonton. The property was purchased from the Roman Catholics on April 12, 1951. The first services were held in private homes, and finally in 1954 the community started to build a new church. The church structure (48’ x 28’ x 10’) was designed by Micholas Fliak of Edmonton and Volodymyr Stoyko of Fidelity was the contractor. By the end of 1972, the construction costs of the last enlargement of the church were estimated at $20,000.00. The biggest donations came from Paranka Sadova and Fred Pshyk, however, every member was committed to donate at least $50.00.
Innisfree town had a diverse Ukrainian population. Some Ukrainians were close to communist ideology and some belonged to the masonry with their own hall “Ad-fellows”. The work of the Church and
their clergy was very hard and great prudence was expected from the faithful. Some individuals wanted to run the parish life based not on the laws (canons) of the Church, but by adopting some rules that eliminated the whole Ukrainian Catholic structure of administration.In the early years the Basilian Fathers from Mundare held services in private homes and later in the Roman Catholic church. The first permanent priests came from Ukraine after World War II: Fr. Nicholas Diadio (1949-1950), Fr. Bohdan Hanushewsky (1950-1953), Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1953-1956), Fr. Roman Starodub (1956-1985), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1995), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1996), Deacon Michael Schaplowsky (1997-2000), Fr. Stanislav Bjeli (2005-2008), Fr. John Sembrat, OSBM (2008-2012).
Parish: Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Location: Lac la Biche (Craigend), Alberta
ASCENSION Parish – Парафія Вознесіння Господнього
LAKE BELLEVIEW Mission
Missions in Lake Eliza and Lake Belleview were established at the same time around the years 1917-1919 with a small chapel and a cemetery by Fr. Basil Ladyka and Fr. N аucratius Kryzanowsky, both Basilian missionaries. The communist elements who arrived from the Drumheller district in 1918 started to destroy the peaceful cooperative spirit of the community. Some families did not follow the destructive elements of the TURF Dim (Ukrainian Communist Labour Association) and preserved their faith.
Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk, OSBM, started visiting the community in 1935 and provided services in the homes of I. Berezhansky, Tom Paley or W. Gil. In 1938 Mr. Berezhansky donated 2 acres of land for the church. In 1940 there were 54 children attending religion classes during the summer holidays.
LAKE ELIZA Mission
Location: 13 km. north-east of the Town of Myrnam. Ukrainian settlers started to arrive in 1912. First family of Nykolai Markovskyi arrived from Rusiv, Sniatyn Region, Ukraine. First Divine Liturgy was in the house of Mykola Markovskyi (originally from the village of Rusiv, Sniatyn district, Ukraine) on June 18 1917 and Fr. Basil Ladyka was the celebrant. After some years the congregation joined the Faithful in Lake Belleview.
Some Ukrainian Communist families moved into the community from Drumheller in 1918. Throwing slogans, like: We must organize ourselves, etc. they attracted the simple farmers and sold their own church as a barn to a farmer. Instead of a church they established a “TURF Dim” (Communist Party hall).
LAKE GENEVA Mission
This colony is located 16 km. from the Town of Mannville. All the people (30 families) living in the neighborhood are from Ukraine: N. Natsiuk, K. Dziubatyi, W. Stoyko, P. Shalagan, J. Karol, H. Korylo, B. Yasinskyi, I. Symyniuk, W. Pylyp, S. Hryniw, A. Stratiy, T. Storozhenko, N. Gurash, S. Zaborovskyi, S. and P. Poliakivski, I. Pylyp, M. Gulinivski, etc.
The first service was celebrated in 1937 by Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk in the Bloomington School. In 1940 the Parish purchased 3 acres of land for a church and cemetery.
Parish: Ascension of Our Lord
Location: New Kiew, Alberta
ASCENSION Parish – Парафія Вознесіння Господнього
The first settlers arrived in 1901 and the place was called Warwick. The name Kyiv (Kiev) was used for the school built in 1908. In the early 1920’s a post office was established and thanks to our Member of Parliament Michael Luchkovych the place was called “New Kiew”. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated on July 7, 1903 by Fr. Platonid Filas in the house of Semen Kits. A month later the same priest started the services in the house of Nykola Yakimec until 1910, when a small chapel of St. Nicholas was built.
Location: NW 22-53-13-W4M and 16 km. from Lavoy or Two Hills. The church (53’ x 40’) with one dome was built in 1918 and blessed on May 16, 1920 by Bishop Nykyta Budka and incorporated in 1918 under the chapter: The RuthenianGreek-Catholic Parish of Holy Ascension of our Lord United with Rome of New Kiev, Alberta. In 1919 Petro Lypynsky did the artistic painting for $2,000.00. The church construction was approximately $5,500.00 and the contractor was H. Osetsky.
The cemetery has 4 acres of land.
For many years the so called “Seraphim plague” was very influential in the community. Some people, without a permanent spiritual care, were joining the sect. Seraphim was an Orthodox cleric, supposedly suspended or excommunicated, who passed himself as an Archbishop of a hitherto non-existent Russian Orthodox Church in Canada. The official Russian Orthodox Church did not recognize him as a bishop. Although the adherents of the new faith were not numerous, the division itself weakened the parish considerably and the building of new Ukrainian Catholic churches was delayed for some years at least. Although the Seraphim movement, subsidized by the Presbyterian Church financially, was doomed to failure in its early beginnings, only a small percentage of its followers came back and were received into the Church again. Thanks to the Basilian missionary Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, who prior to 1910 was a missionary for Manitoba, the hearts of all who cared for the Ukrainian Catholic Church were won again.
National hall in honour of Ivan Franko (Narodnyi Dim Ivana Franka) (60’x24’) was also built in 1929 approximately 200 meters from the church and helped the church, hospital and also institutions in the old country of Ukraine.
Founders of the parish: N. Yakimec, S. Busko, V. Steblyk, S. Cvihun, V. Fydyna, D. Marchak, D. Samoil, H. Cymbaliuk, I. Hryciw, H. Melnyk, K. Duk, O. Zuravel, I. Cymbaliuk, S. Hryciw, S. Kilyk, T. Semeniuk, H. Busko, A. Derleyko, M. Kilyk, T. Yaremko, A. Duk, V. Farion and M. Krysak.
Location: Smoky Lake (Farms), Alberta
St . PARASKEVIA Parish – Парафія св. Параскевії
Location: SW 4-61-17-4. The church is located 13 km. north and 1.6 km. west from the town of Smoky Lake. The wooden church (38’x22’) with one dome was built in 1913 by M. Rachuk and painted by Matiyash. A bell tower was also built. 4 acres were purchased in 1912: 2 for the church and 2 for the cemetery. Members of the first Parish council were: N. Kashuba, M. Holowaychuk, J. Netsyk, L. Vitiuk, N. Bereziuk, I. Yakymchuk, F. Lottoskyi, S. Boyarchuk and P. Boyarchuk. In 1930 a concrete foundation was added to the structure. In 1914 Bishop Nykyta Budka visited the community; in 1937 Bishop Basil Ladyka; in 1952 Bishop Neil Savaryn. Lately the services were held every two months.
The first priest was a French missionary, an Oblate, who became a member of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, Fr. Philip Ruh, a well known architect of the Ukrainian churches across Canada.
Basilian Fathers, who served the Parish: Fr. Ksenofont Rozdolsky, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk, Fr. Athanasius Chimy, Fr. Bessarion Andreychuk, Fr. Isidore Kohut and Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo.
Eparchial clergy looked after the Parish from 1949: Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1949-1953), Fr. Volodymyr Slaby (1964-1956), Fr. Michael Gural (1956-1963), Fr. Theophile Hurko (1963-1976), Fr. Michael Kowalchyk (1976-1978), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1979-1984), Fr. Anton Tarasenko (1984-1995), Fr. Serhij Harahuc (1996-1998), Fr. William Hupalo (1999-2000), Fr. Janko Herbut as a deacon 2000-2001, and as a priest from 2001-2008, Fr. Don Bodnar (2008- ).
Parish: Holy Eucharist
Location: Stry, Alberta
HOLY EUCHARIST Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Євхаристії
The church is located 10 km. south of Vilna. The first settlers from Ukraine arrived at the beginning of the 20 th century. In 1910 the parishioners already purchased 10 acres of land for the church and the cemetery. The first church was built in 1913 and the second was completed in 1934. The first church in 1968 was transformed into a church residence and provided with all the utilities. The Parish has a very active UCWL membership. Originally there were 20 families and during the best times there were 52 families. On July 7, 1985 the Parish celebrated its 75 th anniversary with Bishop Demetrius Greschuk in attendance.
First one to serve the community was Fr. Philip Ruh, an Oblate that joined the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
Basilian Fathers serving the community were: Fr. Ksenofont Rozdolsky, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. Porpyrius Bodnar, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Benjamin Baranyk, Fr. Nicon Horechko, Fr. Matthew Sianchuk, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk, Fr. Ireneus Procenty, Fr. Bessarion Andreychuk, Fr. Isidore. Kohut, Fr. George Zydan (1936- ), Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo and Fr. Theodozy Dobko.
The Eparchial clergy was represented by: Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1949-1953), Fr. Volodymyr Slaby (1954-1955), Fr. Constantine Stangret (1957-1977), Fr. Peter Lytwyn (1983-1984), Fr. Anton Tarasenko (1985-1990), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1991-1992), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1993-1996), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1996-1998), Fr. Roman Dobrianski (1999-2008), Fr. Mark Sych (2008-2013).
St. JOSAPHAT Parish – Парафія св. свщм. Йосафата
Location: Town of Innisfree (Lot 1 & 2, Bl. 12, Pl. 8776) is located 160 km. east of Edmonton. The property was purchased from the Roman Catholics on April 12, 1951. The first services were held in private homes, and finally in 1954 the community started to build a new church. The church structure (48’ x 28’ x 10’) was designed by Micholas Fliak of Edmonton and Volodymyr Stoyko of Fidelity was the contractor. By the end of 1972, the construction costs of the last enlargement of the church were estimated at $20,000.00. The biggest donations came from Paranka Sadova and Fred Pshyk, however, every member was committed to donate at least $50.00.Innisfree town had a diverse Ukrainian population. Some Ukrainians were close to communist ideology and some belonged to the masonry with their own hall “Ad-fellows”. The work of the Church and their clergy was very hard and great prudence was expected from the faithful. Some individuals wanted to run the parish life based not on the laws (canons) of the Church, but by adopting some rules that eliminated the whole Ukrainian Catholic structure of administration.
In the early years the Basilian Fathers from Mundare held services in private homes and later in the Roman Catholic church. The first permanent priests came from Ukraine after World War II: Fr. Nicholas Diadio (1949-1950), Fr. Bohdan Hanushewsky (1950-1953), Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1953-1956), Fr. Roman Starodub (1956-1985), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1995), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1996), Deacon Michael Schaplowsky (1997-2000), Fr. Stanislav Bjeli (2005-2008), Fr. John Sembrat, OSBM (2008- ), Fr. Bohdan Nahachewsky (-).[/wpspoiler]
Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)
HOLY TRINITY Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Трійці
Our Catholic community of Plain Lake began with the coming of the first Ukrainian settlers from Ukraine who settled in this area in 1900. We did not have to wait long for our priests to follow. The first Basilian Fathers arrived in the Beaver Lake area in the early part of 1903 and began visiting the different areas where the Ukrainian settlers were making their homes.The first Basilian Father Missionary to visit our area was Fr. Platonid Filas. Maksym Babycz donated 30 acres from his quarter to the parish, and in 1904 Fr. Filas blessed the land situated on the north east quarter of S. 16, T. 53 R. 12 west of the 4th Meridian. This land had been surveyed for a cemetery and the parish church. Distance: 26 km. from Lavoy and from Two Hills 19 km.With the helpful suggestions of Fr. Filas we chose to name our Church and Parish “The Blessed Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Parish of Plain Lake Alberta. Our parish was commonly known as Twelfth Ranch (“dvanadchiatyi rench”).
Shortly after this, Fr. Filas received news that he was chosen to be the Provincial Superior of the Basilian Fathers in Ukraine. He left Canada in January of 1905.
While our Parish members were raising money to build the church, Divine Liturgies were celebrated in the home of John Grycan for the first three years. Later they were celebrated in the home of John Predyk where the priests often stayed.
During the time that Father Naucratius Kryzanowsky was serving our Parish, our Parish members completed building the Church in 1910. The main carpenter was Bill Hlushak. The total cost of the Church was $ 300.00.
Very soon this church became too small for our needs and a new Church – the present Church – was built in 1926 and 1927. The cost of this Church was $ 10,000.00. This time the main carpenter was Harry Osiecki of Vegreville.
Father Josaphat Tymochko (Father Josaphat Tyrkalo’s great uncle) celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in this new Church.
Bishop Basil Ladyka, OSBM, blessed the Church in 1932 when he celebrated the first Pontifical Divine Liturgy. Father Nicon Horechko, OSBM, and other Fathers and Deacons from Mundare assisted in the celebrations.
Through the generous donations of our members, in 1937 Mr. Peter Lipinski painted the interior of the Church and installed the Icons for $ 2,000.00. By this time too, we were able to purchase all the vestments and other articles needed for the Liturgical Services.
In the late 1960’s the Parish purchased a diesel furnace which is still used today. Before that John Predyka, John Warawa or Harry Laniuk would make a fire using wood and coal to warm the church in the winter months. Sometimes, when the Parishioners would arrive for the Service there would be no fire, only a full church of smoke.
In April of 1962, Mrs. Mary Warawa and the late Tony Sawchuk organized the Parishioners for washing the interior of the Church. This made the Church look like new again.
A new floor covering was put into the Church in July of 1993. While the exterior of the Church was repainted in 1954, then in 1974 and again in 1988, finally in 1996 the Church received vinyl siding. Since the Church was built we have had to re-shingle the Church roof in 1969 and again in 1995.
The Priests and Sisters that served our Parish:
In the early years the priests stayed at John Predyk’s. He had built a special home for the priest to stay in. This house still stands to this day. Later the Fathers stayed at John Hayduk’s then at Joseph Kostyniuk’s and after that at John Stepushyn’s.
The Basilian Fathers helped us with all of our spiritual needs. The Fathers baptized our children, officiated at our young couples weddings, visited and blessed the sick, listened to our confessions, blessed our homes. They also celebrated the Divine Liturgies and led us in spiritual renewals – missions, and during the summer holidays the brothers and deacons taught catechism with the sisters, which was held in the Haydak home.
When the hall was built, catechism was then taught in the Hall. The Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate taught Catechism. When the sisters came to teach, they stayed at John Stepushyn or Steve Chernetski’s place.
During the last one hundred years there have been many priests that have provided for the spiritual needs and moral leadership of our Parish. Oftentimes, as children, we would be going to Church and asking each other which priest would be visiting us this time. In the early years, the Basilian Fathers from Mundare came, among them were: Fathers Plantonid Filas (1902 – 1905), Naucratius Kryzanowsky (1905 – 1907 and 1909 – 1932), Basil Ladyka (1914 – 1929), Sozont Dydyk (1921 – 1929), George Zydan (1924 – 1926), Josaphat Tymochko (1924 – 1931), Porphyrius Bodnar (1925 –1958), Sophron Dyakowich (1926 – 1928), Damascene Popovych (1929 – 19 ), Basil Kamenetsky (1929–1935 & 1942–1943 & 1949–1952), Nicon Horechko (1931 – 1933), Basil Kamenetsky (1931 – 1935), Paul Hewko (1931 – 19 ), Theodozy Dobko (1932 – 1934), Neil Savaryn (1932 – 1943), Mark Romanowych (1933 – 1944), Benjamin Baranyk (1933 – 1941), Matthew Sianchuk (1934 – 1938), Dionisius Dzygolyk (1935 – 1936), Innocent Rychkun (1935 – 19 ), Martyrius Vincentaylo (1937 – 19 ), Markian Pasichnyk (1938 – 19 ), Bernard Dribnenky (1942 – 1943 and 1944 – 1946), Sebastian Kurylo (1943 – 1945), Victor Soroka (1944 – 1950), Myron Daciuk (1945 – 1948), Vital Pidskalny (1947 – 1948), Jerome Chimy (1948 – 1956).
After World War II, with the coming of married priests from Ukraine who were under the direction of the Bishop – we call them eparchial priests – Bishop Neil Savaryn with the help of the Basilian Fathers started to place these priests into parishes. A home was purchased in 1950 in Two Hills and with that the district was formed consisting of Two Hills, New Kiev, Plain Lake, and Hairy Hill. The following fathers served our area: Volodymyr Tarnowsky (1950 to 1956), Bohdan Hanushevsky (1956 – 1963), Peter Lytwyn (1963 – 1978), Ivan Makuch (1978 – 1997), Richard Zuback (1997 – 1998), John Sembrat, OSBM (1998 – 1999), Deacon Michael Schaplowsky (1999 – 2000).
Some of the fathers who have served us since 1998 are: Myron Chimy, OSBM, Bishop Lawrence Huculak OSBM, David Motiuk, Paul Chomnycky OSBM, Josaphat Tyrkalo, OSBM and Father John Sembrat, OSBM. Since 2006 Fr. Bohdan Nahachewsky has been pastor of the parish.
As you can see, in the hundred years of our Parish we have had seven priests serving us who then were appointed bishops: Bishop Basil Ladyka, OSBM, Bishop Neil Savaryn, OSBM, Bishop Jerome Chimy, OSBM, Bishop Myron Daciuk, OSBM, Bishop Lawrence Huculak, OSBM, Bishop David Motiuk, and Bishop Paul Chomnycky, OSBM. We also have a son of one of our pioneer families who was also appointed Bishop, Bishop Severian Yakymyshyn, OSBM. It is an honour to have such intelligent, talented and loving Priests serve our Parish.
Our Parish Hall was built in 1938. In the 1950’s we added the new kitchen with running water and the Dining Room. This building helped our parish become a center within the community. Over the years we have held socials, wedding banquets and memorial meals in the hall. Many thanks go to the ladies and men that have helped with these functions for the good of our parish and parishioners.
Our Parish Cemetery is the resting-place for approximately 225 Parishioners who have passed away. The earliest grave marker is from 1905 and there are many unmarked graves since the families could not afford stone markers. Over the years the wooden crosses have rotted away and have not been replaced. Nestor Humeniuk built the beautiful and unique fence protecting the cemetery in the late 1980’s. Various people contributed financially towards this project. The Spruce trees were planted in 1995.
Each year our Parish sets aside one Sunday following Easter, usually in May, to remember the Parishioners who have passed away. On that Sunday, we usually have many members of former parishioners making the journey back to their roots.
Today as we celebrate our 100th Anniversary of the Parish, we are very fortunate to have with us Bishop Lawrence Huculak, OSBM and Bishop Severian Yakymyshyn, OSBM. We also thank Father John Sembrat, OSBM, for helping us prepare for this occasion.
During these past one hundred years we have been blessed with many fine Priests, Brothers and Sisters serving the spiritual and moral needs of our Parishioners. They have sown the seeds of Faith, Hope and Love. They have brought the “Light of Christ” and the joy of the Lord into the various aspects of our Parish life. The Fathers, through their sermons, have encouraged us to gain a greater understanding of our Ukrainian Catholic Church and a deeper love of our faith. The Brothers and Sisters have helped our young people come to know and love the Church, and helped us make our first steps in our relationship with our Heavenly Father.
May God reward the Basilian Fathers and the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate, as well as our Bishops, with blessings one hundred fold for their excellent work in God’s vineyard.
May the Blessed Mother continue to intercede for you and your communities before the throne of our Heavenly Father for the grace and wisdom needed, so that you may continue to spread the Good News and the Love of Jesus.
And may God bless every one here present in return for your participation and prayers for the good of our Parish.
(This is a presentation by Victor Lozoway on the occasion of the first 100 years of the Parish).
Parish: Sts. Volodymyr and Olga
Location: Two Hills, Alberta
Sts. VOLODYMYR and OLGA Parish – Парафія свв. Володимира і Ольги
The beginnings of the Two Hills parish go back to 1937. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in 1932 by Fr. Basil Kamenecky, OSBM, in a private home. The first Parish council was elected in 1943 in the presence of Fr. Volodymyr Shewchuk, OSBM, from Derwent: Petro Hryciw (president), Petro Samuil (secretary) and Ivan Tomyn (treasurer). For $400.00 a school was purchased from the United Church that served for many years as the parish church in honor of Sts. Volodymyr and Olga. In 1954 a one-and-a-half acre of land was purchased for the cemetery.
A decision was made to build a new church on April 20, 1959. The ground was blessed by Bishop Neil Savaryn on May 14, 1960. The parish president at that time was Mykola Myskiw. The corner stone was blessed by Fr. Bohdan Hanushewsky, Fr. John Cherkawsky from Derwent and Fr. Dmytro Hnat from Glendon. On June 4, 1972 Bishop Neil Savaryn blessed the new (second) church (75’ x 34’), worth approximately $90,000.00.
The Eparchial clergy serving the Parish were: Fr. Volodymyr Tarnawsky (1950-1955), Fr. Bohdan Hanushewsky (1956-1963), Fr. Peter Lytwyn (1964-1985), Fr. Ivan Makuch (1986-1997), Fr. Richard Zuback (1998), Eparchial clergy and Basilian Fathers (1999-2004), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (2004-2005), Fr. Stanislav Bjeli (2005-2008), Fr. John Sembrat, OSBM (2008- ), Fr. Bohdan Nahachewsky (2012-2013).
Location: Spedden, Alberta
Service Schedule: (Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)
HOLY TRINITY Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Трійці
The church is in the centre of the town. The land and several hundred dollars were donated by the Basilian Fathers from Mundare. The Parish had its beginnings in 1913 in the house of T. Iwanyshyn. It was the feast of St. John the Baptist. Originally there were 100 members, but with time some left the Holy Church and joined the Orthodox, other followed the communists. The Government of Alberta provided 10 acres of bush land for the cemetery. The church (50’ x 28’) was finally built in 1934. Bishop Basil Ladyka visited the community for the first time on August 22, 1937.
Basilian Fathers serving the Parish: Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. Ksenofont Rozdolsky, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Damascene Popovych, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk, Fr. Athasius Chimy, Fr. Bessarion Andreychuk, Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk, Fr. Lazarus Palenkach, Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo.
Eparchial clergy: Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1949-1953), Fr. Volodymyr Slaby (1964-1956), Fr. Constantine Stangret (1957-1978), Fr. Peter Lytwyn (1979-1984), Fr. Anton Tarasenko (1984-1990), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1991-1992), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1992-1996), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1996-1998), Fr. Roman Dobrianski (1999-2008), Fr. Mark Sych (2008-2013).
Parish: Descent of the Holy Spirit
Location: Vilna, Alberta
HOLY SPIRIT [Holy Ghost ] Parish – Парафія Зіслання Святого Духа
The beginnings of the Parish go back to 1920 when Fr. Ksenofont Rozdolsky had the first services. From 1934 Fr. George Zydan, OSBM, had the responsibility for the community. The land for the church was purchased on September 20, 1936 and in 1939 and the church (50’ x 30’) was finally built. The contractor was Frank Wanat costing the Parish $1,800.00. The cemetery is located 3 km. north from the town and it was donated by Maria Barabash. A very active UCWL was a visible part of the community. In 1944 a church hall was also built. In 1965 a bell tower was added.
Basilian Fathers who served the community: Fr. Ksenofont Rozdolsky, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Basil Kamenetsky, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk, Fr. Athanasius Chimy, Fr. Lawrence Dzygolyk, Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo, Fr. Bessarion Andreychuk, Fr. Markian Pasichnyk, Fr. Ireneus Procenty, Fr. Isidore Kohut and Fr. Theodozy Dobko.
Later the Eparchial clergy continued the work: Fr. Volodymyr Zholkewych, Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1949- ), Fr. Omilian Nakonechny, Fr. Volodymyr Slaby, Fr. Constantine Stangret (1957- ), Fr. Peter Lytwyn (1983- ), Fr. Anton Tarasenko (1986-1990), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1991-1992), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1993-1996), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1997-1998), Fr. Roman Dobrianski (1993-2008), Fr. Mark Sych (2008-2013).