Grande Prairie District

Pastor: Rev. Mark Sych

Location: 10315-114 Ave, Grande Prairie, AB

Office Phone:

Website: www.gp.eeparchy.com

Service Schedule:(Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

Sunday Liturgy:
10:00 AM (Bilingual)

Saturday Vespers:
7:00 PM (English)

 

 

History of the Parish: DORMITION of the Most Holy Mother of God Parish – Парафія Успіння Матері Божої

The Ukrainian Catholic Church started the missionary work in Grande Prairie around 1932. The Basilian Fathers were providing the spiritual guidance during those early years. The services were held at the Roman Catholic Sacred Heart Academy. Starting in 1952 Fr. Peter Moysiuk celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the house of Mrs. J. Litkr (born Polna). In 1958 a Building Committee was established: N. Sych (president), P. Pankiw (vice president) and I. Moolyk (secretary). G. Repetowsky was elected to be the campaign manager to acquire the needed funds. Other members, like N. Kachalaba, M. Skwarok, P. Pankiw, W. Labinsky and the Moolyk family, got involved. Between 1962-1964 the church was being constructed and, in 1964, the Feast of the Nativity was celebrated in the new church. On July 20, 1964 Bishop Neil Savaryn, Eparch of Edmonton, consecrated the church in honor of the Dormition (Assumption) of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the presence of the Parish priest Fr. Bohdan Karychek and Fr. Demetrius Baziuk, the parish priest from High Prairie. The cantors (Diaky) were Harry Bihun from Grand Prairie, F. Yanishewski from Spirit River and Stotski from Royce. This very special event culminated with a meal shared by all present.

In 1958 there were approximately 20 members and in 1985 there were 25 members. The Ladies and the Men of the Parish organized themselves to provide much needed help for the day to day Parish life. Their catering provided much financial support. In 1974 to 1977 the Parish was organizing their own youth camp at Lac Cardinal under the leadership of Fr. Philip Shinduke.

Priests that served the community were the Basilian Fathers until 1950 followed by Eparchial clergy: Fr. Peter Moysiuk (1952- ), Fr. Emilian Nakonechny (1957- ), Fr. Euthymius Melnychuk (1960- ), Fr. Bohdan Karychek (1963- ), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1970- ), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1979), Bishop Demetrius Greschuk and others (1980-1983), Fr. Richard Zuback (1984-1985), Deacon and later Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008), Fr. Taras Kraychuk (2008-2010), Fr. Roman Planchak (2010-2018) and Fr. Mark Sych (2018-).

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Ascension of Our Lord

Location:

Manning, Alberta
NW23-91-23-W5

Service Schedule:(Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

Sunday Liturgy:
First Sunday of Every Month

History of the Parish

 

History of the Parish: MANNING – ASCENSION Parish (Парафія Вознесіння Господньог)

In 1951 Pavlo Bilozor donated the land for the church. The parishioners decided to first build a parish residence so the priest would be able to visit Hotchkiss and North Star parishes. Some time later the residence burned down. Slowly many people from the surrounding parishes were moving to Manning for retirement. Fr. Demetrius Baziuk suggested to the faithful to build a church on the vacant land. Between 1972 and 1977 the church was built and Bishop Demetrius Greschuk consecrated it on August 28, 1977. The church (30’ x 60’) has a developed basement with a hall and a kitchen. The people selected Walter Yasinsky to be in charge of the construction. His and the parishioners’ efforts were tremendous. In 1977 the Parish had 35 members. The priest from Grande Prairie was coming twice a month to serve the faithful.

The Eparchial clergy that served the community were: Fr. John Malaschuk (1950-1951), Fr. Peter Moysiuk (1952-1954), Fr. Euthymius Melnychuk (1955-1957), Fr. Omelian Nakonechny (1958-1959), Fr. Bohdan Karychek (1960-1967), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1967-1970), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1976), Fr. Richard Zuback (1984-195), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008), Fr. Taras Kraychuk (2008-2010), Fr. Roman Planchak (2010-2018) and Fr. Mark Sych (2018-).

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: All Saints
Location:
Hines Creek

Service Schedule:(Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

Sunday Liturgy:
Second Sunday of Every Month

History of the Parish

 

History of the Parish: HINES CREEK – ALL SAINTS Parish (Парафія Всіх Святих)

Approximately 50 people organized themselves in 1931 and chose the first Parish council with Fr. Matthew Sianchuk presiding and M. Kalynsky and I. Yasniy as members. In 1933 the Ukrainian Catholic community in Hines Creek bought 4 acres of land for the cemetery approximately 4 km. outside the town. In 1937 the Basilian Fathers bought an acre of land in the town. In 1940 a beautiful church (44’ x 28’) was built on this parcel of land. The Ukrainian community enjoyed a very strong group of Ladies Auxiliary, that they called Sisterhood (Sestrytstvo) and a Ukrainian Catholic Youth (U.C.Y.).

A church residence with 4 rooms, worth $2,500.00, was built in 1951. The church services were held once a month.

Basilian priests who worked in the missionary vineyard: Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Paul Olinsky, Fr. Theodosius Dobko (1936), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1939), Fr. Ireneus Procenty, Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk and Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1950).
The Eparchial clergy included the following priests: Fr. John Malaschuk (1951-1952), Fr. Peter Moysiuk (1953-1954), Fr. Omilian Nakonechny (1957-1959), Fr. Bohdan Karychek (1960-1968), Fr. Dmytro Baziuk (1970- ), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1976), Fr. Richard Zuback (1983-1985), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008), Fr. Taras Kraychuk (2008-2010), Fr. Roman Planchak (2010-2018) and Fr. Mark Sych (2018-).

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Christ the King
Location:

High Prairie
4900 – 54 Avenue

Service Schedule:(Please call parish to confirm service schedule.)

Sunday Liturgy:
Third Sunday of Every Month

History of the Parish

 

History of the Parish: HIGH PRAIRIE – CHRIST THE KING Parish – Парафія Зіслання Святого Духа

Basilian Fathers serving Gilwood district started also to visit the faithful in High Prairie. On June 9, 1941 Bishop Basil Ladyka visited the community and a spiritual renewal was visible in the community. The people under the leadership of Nick Chodzicki bought 4 parcels of land in 1940 to build a church later. First they built the priest’s residence which also served for some time as a place of worship. In 1949-1950 the Christ the King church was built next to the rectory. The services in the surrounding churches of Heart River and Gilwood were shrinking, and the High Prairie parish was growing. Under Fr. Philip Shinduke’s guidance the people realized that an improvement was required for the church. The church was lifted up and a full basement was built. In 1975 the church residence was sold and the priest was living in the rectory in Grande Prairie.

In the early days Basilian Fathers were serving the faithful: Fr. Theodozy Dobko, Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk, Fr. Ireneus Procenty, Fr. Matthew Sianchuk, Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn.

The Eparchial clergy were: Fr. Euthymius Melnychuk (1950- ), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1984), Fr. Richard Zuback (1984-1985), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1986-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008), Fr. Taras Kraychuk (2008-2010), Fr. Roman Planchak (2010-2018) and Fr. Mark Sych (2018-).

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Descent of the Holy Spirit

Location:

Reno
NW1-81-20-W5

History of the Parish

 

History of the Parish: RENO – HOLY SPIRIT [Holy Ghost ] Parish (Парафія Зіслання Святого Духа)

The Church is located approximately 40 km. southeast of Peace River, Alberta, in a hamlet called Reno which is 9 km. due east of Highway 2. The beginnings of the community go back to 1931 when the history of the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Ghost actually began. From that time Fr. Basil Kamenetsky served Liturgies in the homes of local parishioners, like Ivan Kalyn.

It was in 1940-1941 that Fr. Wynnyk, in joint cooperation with Sam Huska, The Chomiak and Kalyn Families, prepared plans for a church building in Reno. These plans saw fruition in 1946 after an earlier plan to build a church on one acre of land donated by Ivan Kalyn and incorporated by Fr. Sianchuk in 1938, fell through. Fr. Hrynyshyn supervised and worked as head carpenter during the construction of the church. Fr. Wynnyk arranged for the title of a one acre parcel, then raised money by showing movies in Reno and Nampa, Alberta. Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn continued the fund-raising when he arrived at Reno to become the head carpenter. From 1947 to 1951, Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo was the local priest, residing in High Prairie, Alberta, in a residence established for this area in 1941 by the Basilian Fathers. In 1952 there were seven paid members and in 1984 there were 11 paid up families (30 people). In 1960 the Parish ladies organized themselves and created a Ukrainian Women Catering Group to provide food and beverage service at weddings, anniversaries and local functions. The money was then contributed to the Reno Ukrainian Catholic Church. The parishioners also organized raffles and bingos to help the parish. They also supported the priest’s residence in High Prairie and later in Grande Prairie. A small community in Reno rallied together in 1964-1965 to purchase a car for the parish priest. In 1974 under the dedicated direction of Fr. Philip Shinduke, a summer camp – Ukrainian Catholic Childrens’ Camp – was established at Lac Cardinal and operated for three years. The families that were involved in the volunteer work of the parish, were: John Chomiak, Bill Chomiak, Maxim Paluck, Sam Huska, Nick Kuzenko, Paul & Alex Kuzden, Mike Bambush, Peter Mayowski, Alex Barnowski, Bill Naturkach, Skwarik and Alex Kolebaba.

The following Basilian priests served the Parish: Fr. Kamenetsky (1931), Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1931), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1932-1935), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1935-1938), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1938), Fr. Ireneus Procenty (1940), Fr. Ambrose Wynnyk (1941), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1941-1946), Fr. Martyrius Vincentaylo (1947 to 1951).

In 1952 the Eparchial clergy started to look after the faithful: Fr. Volodymyr Slaby (1952), Fr. Euthymiius Melnychuk (1953-1966), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1967-1971), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1980), Fr. Richard Zuback (1984-1985), Deacon Benny Ambrose (1986-1988), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1988-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008), Fr. Taras Kraychuk (2008-2010), Fr. Roman Planchak (2010-2018) and Fr. Mark Sych (2018-).