Calmar District

Pastor: Rev. John Sembrat, OSBM

Parish: Holy Trinity

Location: Calmar, Alberta

Phone: (780) 434-8010

District Service Schedule:

 

[accordions title=”” active=false event=”click” disabled=false autoheight=true]
[accordion title=”Map”]

[simplemap default_lat='53.2188821' default_lng='-114.9664812']
[/accordion]

[accordion title=”Hisory of the Parish”]

CALMAR (town) – HOLY TRINITY ParishПарафія Пресвятої Трійц

The land in the town of Calmar was donated by Ivan Vorkun and Ivan Ivanykha organized the idea of the parish. The founding meeting of the parish was held on March 14, 1948. The church was built in 1947-1949 to take care of the people from the farm area who had moved into the town. The church is located approx. 50 km. southwest from Edmonton. The parishioners wanted to remain on the Julian calendar, while on the farms they were changing to the Gregorian calendar (see Calmar – Immaculate Conception of the BVM). In 1979 the majority decided to use the Gregorian calendar. The cemetery (1.47 acres) is located 1.6 km. south. Originally there were 30 families. On the opposite side of the road a Ukrainian Catholic National hall ( Український Католицький Народний Дім) was built in 1939 and supported by the Ukrainian Catholic communities of Calmar and Leduc. It was sold to the local Ukrainian Zirka dance group in 2004 for $30,000.00. The Parish enjoyed the active participation of UCWL, BUCC and UCYC.

The Parish was always served by the Basilian Fathers: Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk (1953), Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1954), Fr. Martin Pryma (1955), Fr. Borys Lysak (1956-1957), Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1964-1967), Fr. Myron Chimy (1968-1970), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1971-1976), Fr. Orest Slobodian (1976-1982) and from 1985 Fr. Sylvester Kuzel. Currently Fr. John Sembrat is the pastor of the parish.

[/accordion]
[/accordions]


____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Sts. Peter and Paul

Location: Drayton Valley, Alberta
4904 – 44 Streeet

History of the Parish

 

 

[accordions title=”” active=false event=”click” disabled=false autoheight=true]

[accordion title=”Hisory of the Parish”]

DRAYTON VALLEY – Sts. PETER and PAUL Parish

The Parish was established in the late 1940s’. The services were provided once a month. Fr. Bohdan Snihurowych served the community for a long time. Fr. Sylvester Kuzel, OSBM, was looking after the small community from his residence in Pigeon Lake. Currently Fr. John Sembrat is the pastor of the parish.

[/accordion]
[/accordions]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Immaculate Conception
Location: Calmar (Farms)

 

 

 

 

[accordions title=”” active=false event=”click” disabled=false autoheight=true]

[accordion title=”Hisory of the Parish”]

CALMAR (farms) – IMMACULATE CONCEPTION of the Blessed Virgin Mary – Парафія Непорочного Зачаття Пречистої Діви Марії

Location: SE Sec. 7, Twp. 50-Rge 26, W4 (lot 185’ x 155’).1.6 km. East & 1.6 km. North of Calmar. The church is also known in the community as St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church. The first Ukrainians came to the locality from the district of Yaroslav, Halychyna, in the early 1900’s and the first services were celebrated by Fr. Matthew Hura, OSBM, in 1907. The first church was built in 1912. Later the community grew stronger, so the old church was dismantled and the building material was used to build the new church in 1938 (cost $6,000.00). The building committee members were: A. Pidhirnyi, V. Sereda, B. Manchak and I. Sikora. The new church was built by Nykyfor and Ivan Kozak, supported by the parishioners. On the side of the church you find a tall brick structure, the bell tower. There were approx. 30 founding families with 200 children; in 1953 there were 40 families, and in 1968 28 families. The church is approx. 55 km. from Edmonton. The Gregorian calendar has been in use from 1945. The parish cemetery is 400 m. from the church.

Basilian Fathers who served the Parish: Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk (1953), Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1954), Fr. Martin Pryma (1955), Fr. Borys Lysak (1956-1957), Fr. Raphael Melnyk (1964-1967), Fr. Myron Chimy (1968-1970), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1971-1976), Fr. Orest Slobodian (1976-1982) and from 1985 Fr. Sylvester Kuzel. Currently Fr. John Sembrat is the pastor of the parish.

[/accordion]
[/accordions]


____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: Holy Trinity
Location: Leduc

 

 

 

 

 

[accordions title=”” active=false event=”click” disabled=false autoheight=true]

[accordion title=”Hisory of the Parish”]

LEDUC (RABBIT HILL) – HOLY TRINITY Parish – Парафія Пресвятої Трійці

 Location: 8 km. from the Leduc train station and 13 km. northwest from the town of Leduc.

The first Ukrainians settlers in the area came in 1900-1912 from the district of Yaroslav (Jaroslaw) in Ukraine. The first church was built in 1900, and at that time the locality was known as Rabbit Hill. The first services were held in 1902 by Fr. Sozont Dydyk, OSBM, who resided in Rabbit Hill and Rosthern, Sask., and took care of the surrounding area, including Edmonton, until 1906.

The second church was built by Fr. Philip Ruh, OMI, in 1917-1918. This church has been designated as a historical site by the Government of Alberta, with the instruction that it be preserved and restored to the original architectural design, although electrical lighting and gas heating has been installed. The total area of the church grounds is 22 acres. Being 23 km. from Edmonton, the parish has been attended from St. Basil the Great since 1917. The Gregorian calendar has been in use since 1945.

There have been 2 religious vocations from the parish: Fr. Methodius Hannas, OSBM, and Sr. Josaphata Tymochko, SSMI. The children of the parish attend St. Basil’s Camp at Pigeon Lake.

The Holy Trinity cemetery (2 acres) was purchased by the parish in 1917.

The Parish owned their own “Український Католицький Народний Дім” (Ukrainian Catholic National Hall) in Calmar, where there were many concerts for many years and was a center of Ukrainians in between Leduc and Calmar. The hall was sold to the Ukrainian dance group in the winter of 2004.

[/accordion]
[/accordions]

____________________________________________________________________________________

Parish: St. John the Baptist
Location: Thorsby

 

 

 

 

[accordions title=”” active=false event=”click” disabled=false autoheight=true]

[accordion title=”Hisory of the Parish”]

THORSBY – St. JOHN the BAPTIST Parish – Парафія Різдва св. Івана Хрестителя

Location: NW 11-49-1-5.: 1 km. south of Thorsby. In 1907 the first church of St. Nicholas was built on 10 acres of land donated by the Government: 5 km. south-west from Thorsby. The first parish priest who blessed the church and the cemetery was Fr. Matthew Hura, OSBM. After three years as a Ukrainian Catholic Church the church land was taken over by the Orthodox. Ukrainian Catholics purchased 2 acres of land 5 km. east of Thorsby (SW 13-49-28-4) and built a church dedicating it to “Nativity of St. John Baptist”. In 1931 the parishioners purchased a parcel in the town (#5 Blk.1, Pl. 6338 E.T.) and transported the whole church structure to the new place. In 1959 the decision was made to build a new church: construction started in 1961 and was completed in 1969. On July 7 (the feast day) the church was consecrated by Bishop Neil Savaryn and Fr. Raphael Melnyk. The Parish has two cemeteries. On October 26, 1980 a monument was placed in front of the church commemorating 75 th anniversary of the Province of Alberta

Services were held once a month by the following Basilian Fathers: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. John Teodorovych, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Naucratius Kryzanowsky, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Basil Kaminetsky, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Paul Hewko, Fr. Gregory Chmilar, Fr. Boniface Sloboda, Fr. Dionisius Dzygolyk (1953), , Fr. Leontij Yakubow (1954), Fr. Martin Pryma (1955), Fr. Methodius Hannas, Fr. Sebastian Kurylo, Fr. Borys (Paul) Lysak (1956- ), Fr. Myron Chimy (1967-1971), Fr. Sylvester Kuzel (1985).  Currently Fr. John Sembrat is the pastor of the parish.

[/accordion]
[/accordions]