MANLY – St. GEORGE Parish – Парафія св. Юрія
The Ukrainian settlers started arriving in 1904 (4 families), followed by 6 more families in 1907, and 19 more in 1911. The parish was organized in 1909, and the first church was built (1910) in the same year on 2 acres, donated by Ilko Krashevsky. The church tower was built in 1913 or 1914 and the bell was imported from Belgium. Money for the hall was donated by Mike Turlock and a Manly Parish Hall (“ Манлі Парохіяльна Зала”) was built in 1920 and sold in 1957.
The church was visited in 1917 by Bishop Nykyta Budka, 1936 by Bishop Vasyl Ladyka, 1955 and 1963 by Bishop Neil Savaryn, 1978-1990 Bishop Demetrius Greschuk. Later by Bishop Myron Daciuk and Bishop Lawrence Huculak.
Some of the early members of the parish: Peter Turlock, Dmytro Turlock, John Krashawsky, Stas Pytel, Mike Stecyk, Felix Florkewich, John Proch, John Danylovych, John Sabadaska, Fred Tyrkalo, Dmytro Mastaller, Mike Mastaller and their families. Later the following families arrived: Elias Markewich, Luke Pawlyk, John Wasylyshyn, Mick Comchi, Steve Puschak, Fred Tautchin, Fred Wasylyk, Steve Andrusyshyn, Harry Shaigec, Mike Kryskow, Nick Kryskow.
There were many baptisms performed at one service because the priests could not come regularly. Cantors were Philip Mykhailiun, Taras Borynec, John Burdaney and Peter Hasay. Peter Florkewich was the longest serving cantor (dyak) in the parish. In the absence of the clergy, the parishioners would gather together and Fr. Elias Markewich and William Mudry would lead the parish services. At one time there were about forty to fifty families who were members of the church. At this moment there are only few families left. Most of the people moved to the cities looking for jobs.
In the late 1940’s a new wave of Eparchial priests arrived in Canada from Ukraine, who were often married. Their names: Fr. Volodymyr Zholkewych, Fr. Constantine Stangret, Fr. Anthony Pawliuk, Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk, Fr. Michael Gural, Fr. Myron Martynkiw, Fr. Peter Lytvyn and Fr. Bohdan Snihurowich, who was the longest serving priest in the community.
Among the clergy the following Basilians were serving the parish: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, Fr. Porphyrius Bodnar, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Methodius Hannas, Fr. Juvenalis Slota, Fr. Sebastian Shewchuk, Fr. Gregory Chmiliar, Fr. Basil Kaminetsky. In between Fr. Philip Ruh, an Oblate, served the community.