LAVOY – St. JOHN the BAPTIST Parish – Парафія св. Івана Хрестителя
Location: 120 km. East of Edmonton on HW 16. The first services were held in the private home of Stefan Wolynsky with the Basilian Fathers of Mundare officiating. The first families were: Stefan Wolynsky, Paul Bilyk, Stefan Yakymyshyn, Zachary Storozhenko, Ivan Baran, Michael Duk and Eugene Kasaval.. The lot for the future church was donated by Gregory Vitryk. The annual meeting held on June 18, 1951 decided to buy the school building “Kolomyia” (60’ x 40’ x 12’) and adapt it to serve them as a church. The faithful committed themselves to donate $25.00 and the 18 members volunteered their work for free. The cantors were: Peter Samoil, Anton Sokoliuk and Paul Bilyk. They were using the town cemetery. The Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League was a very important factor in the existence of the Parish. In their description the priests serving the community highlighted the peaceful and cooperative spirit of the parish.
The following Eparchial clergy served the community: Fr. Volodymyr Tarnawsky (1950-1954), Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1955), Fr. Roman Starodub (1956-1987), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1988-1995). Shortly after, the church building was sold and the few remaining faithful attend the services in Vegreville.
The Parish also provided our Church with one vocation: Fr. David Motiuk, later to become Bishop David Motiuk, Bishop of the Eparchy of Edmonton.