HAY LAKES – EXALTATION of the HOLY CROSS Parish – Парафія Воздвиження Чесного Хреста
Location : SE 14-48-22-W 4M . The church is 9 km. from the town of Hay Lakes. The land was donated by Nicholas Maruschak in 1921, who settled there in 1901. The plans were prepared by Rev. Philip Ruh, the carpenter was Fred Hayduk and the church was built in 1929 by volunteers costing the parishioners approximately $10,000.00. The church structure was expanded in 1957 to accommodate the growing number of the faithful.
Ukrainian settlements started in 1909. The first active parishioners were: G. Sych, M. Shavaha, N. Maruschak, N. Kowal, M. Kosovych, H. Sych, Hr. Rubis, M. Karpovych, N. Sapeliag, I. Radavec, M. Kohut and H. Nalyvayko. During the first part of the construction the people were united in building the church. When Nicholas Maruschak donated the land and gave the title to the church and not to the trustees, half of the membership refused to support the initiative. The six remaining families donated their time and money to complete the work. After the completion of the building the rest of the parishioners rejoined the faithful.
Until 1970 the UCWLC was very active in the parish.
First visitation of the Parish was on Sept. 27, 1935 by Bishop Basil Ladyka; in September 1956 Bishop Neil Savaryn. Ukrainian Bishop Andriy Sapelak of Argentina, who had some relatives in Hay Lakes paid a visit on July 19, 1962. Bishops Demetrius Greschuk, Myron Daciuk and Lawrence Huculak also visited the Parish.
The Basilian Fathers served the community until 1956: Fr. Matthew Hura, Fr. Basil Ladyka, Fr. Sozont Dydyk, Fr. Sophron Diakowich, Fr. Epiphanius Teodorowich, Fr. George Zydan, Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1950-1956).
The Eparchial clergy who served the community were: Fr. George Maly (1957-1961), Fr. Anthony Pawliuk (1962), Fr. Roman Hankewych (1963-1964), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk, Fr. Nicholas Holowaty, Fr. Oles Zachariasevych, Fr. Myron Martynkiw (1983-1986), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (1987-1990), Fr. Peter Brezden (1990-1992), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (1992-1998), Fr. Ron Hollohan (1998-1999), Fr. Vasyl Nykyforuk (1999-2008), Fr. Slavko Dumeč (2008- ) .