EDMONTON – Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія св. Покрови
Location: 3635 – 116 Avenue, Edmonton. The first Ukrainian Divine Liturgy in the Beverly area was celebrated by Basilian Fathers in 1936 in the home of Mr. A. Holyk. The first wooden church was purchased in 1951 from the Roman Catholics. In 1951 there were 50 families. A new brick church was built in 1965 (architects Walter and Michael Kubrak; Mat Baykowsky – contractor). The Parish has a strong Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League (UCWLC) and Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood (BUCC). The Parish was well organized and active with many dedicated members offering their time and financial support. With the financial input of the parishioners, the church was painted in traditional Ukrainian church design and an iconostasis was installed, artistically designed and finished by artist Borys Makarenko in 1984.
Parish priests who served the community: Fr. Basil Martynyk (1951), Fr. Paul Hradiuk (1951-1955), Fr. Euhen Kaminsky (1955-1957), Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1957-1959), Fr. Basil Chopey (1959-1970), Fr. Basil Woloshyn (1970-1985), Fr. Basil Martynyk (1985-1997), Fr. William Hupalo (1997-1999), Fr. Serhiy Harahuc (1999-2003), Fr. Paul Lysak (2003-2005), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (2005-2012), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (2012).