EDMONTON – Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God Parish – Парафія Успіння Пресв. Богородиці
Location: 15608 – 104 Avenue, Edmonton. The parish was organized as a mission and land was purchased in 1950 for $2,000.00. The first church, a former United Church, was acquired in 1957; the second church was built in 1972 and blessed by Bishop Neil Savaryn on October 22, 1972. The sanctuary icons were painted by Borys Makarenko in 1981 and the original iconostasis was done by Mykola Pelech with the icons painted by Volodymyr Savchak. For many years the church hall, attached to the church building, housed a day care center, which contributed to the mortgage payments. The Parish always enjoyed a strong representation of Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League (UCWLC), Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood (BUCC) and Ukrainian Catholic Youth (UCYC). Cantors were: Harry Sirman, M. Chomiak, Zonnia Ostopowich, Brian Cherwick. A new iconostasis was built in 2002. The parish commissioned Fr. Damian Higgins from the Eparchy of Chicago to paint the icons.
Parish priests who served the community: Fr. Demetrius Martin Greschuk (1950-1956), Fr. Richard Zuback (1956-1957), Fr. Basil Chopey (1957-1959), Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1959-1964), Fr. Roman Hankewych (1964-1969), Fr. Bohdan Snihurowych (1969-1989), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1989-1990), Fr. Stephen Wojcichowsky (1990-1998), Fr. Peter Brezden (1998-2008), Fr. William Hupalo (2008-2012), Fr. Gregory Faryna (2012-).