- The Annual “Aid to the Missionary Church in the World” collection is taken up throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton on Pentecost Sunday. Christ died for our sins on the life-giving wood of the Cross. His message of love, mercy and forgiveness is needed ever more in our broken world. As Christians, we are called to continue Jesus’ mission of spreading the Good News, each according to our ability and means. Concretely, the Church invites us to collaborate in the mission of the Church, guided by the Holy Spirit, by giving generously to the following international collections:
- Peter’s Pence (Pope’s Pastoral Works or Papal Charities),
- World Mission Fund,
- Collection for the Holy Land,
- Catholic Near East Welfare Association, and
- Aid to the Church in Ukraine.
- A “Moleben for Life” will be celebrated at 7:00 pm, May 7, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, to coincide with the annual National Week of Life and Family and the annual Alberta March for Life.
This year’s Alberta March for Life takes place on May 10, the Feast of the Ascension of Our Lord, and include a 10:00 am Pro-Life Divine Liturgy at Saint Joseph Basilica, followed by program and speeches beginning at 12:30 pm at the Alberta Legislature (albertamarchforlife.com).The Alberta/NWT Catholic Bishops issued a Pastoral Message to mark this year’s March for Life.
- 2018 Presbyteral Council meetings:
- May 7 (Pastoral Centre: note special time – 3:30–5:30 pm, followed by 7:00 pm “Moleben for Life” at Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
- October 29
- 2018 Clergy Conferences:
- May 8 (10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Dormition of the Mother of God Parish, Edmonton)
- November 2
- Annual Clergy Retreats:
- June 11-15, 2018, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline; Retreat Master: Fr. Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC, member of the Missionaries of Charity Fathers, postulator of the cause of canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and editor of A Call to Mercy: hearts to love, hands to serve, Mother Teresa.
- 2018 Annual Clergy Study Days:
- October 29-November 1 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton).
- The 2018 National Week of Life and Family is celebrated from May 13-20. The theme for the week is: “Love Encountering the Other.” Material to help celebrate the National Week of Life and family are available on the CCCB website: www.cccb.ca/The materials, prepared by the Catholic Organization for Life and Family (COLF), include:
- poster which can be freely downloaded and reproduced;
- prayer card, also for downloading and photocopying;
- prayer card for children before meals;
- proposed plan for pastors and lay pastoral workers on how they might organize the Week;
- message from Bishop Lionel Gendron, President of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops;
- proposals for homily notes and Prayers of the Faithful; and
- suggestions for related events and activities.
- The 9th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 6, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Avenue), Edmonton.The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God.This year’s theme focuses on building relationships between the Indigenous and Ukrainian peoples.Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From information gathered for the 2017 Annual General Statistical Questionnaire on behalf of the Vatican Secretariat of State, as of December 31, 2017 the Eparchy of Edmonton has (by way of comparison, 2016 numbers are included in brackets):
- Ukrainian Catholic population of 28,750, with 4,819 in regular Sunday attendance (2016: 5,087)
- 81 parishes and missions (2016: 84)
- 31 eparchial priests (31)
- 9 religious priests (9)
- 3 deacons (4)
- 4 eparchial seminarians (4) ; 1 religious seminarians (2)
- 13 women religious (15)
- 5 men religious (7)
- 197 baptisms (221)
- 121 First Communions (95)
- 39 marriages (47)
- 232 funerals (260)
- 267 children in catechism (294)
- 65 catechists (50)
- Pope Francis has accepted the resignation for medical reasons of Most Rev. Stefan Soroka, Archbishop of Philadelphia for Ukrainians and Metropolitan for the Ukrainian Catholic Church in USA. Pope Francis has declared the Archeparchy of Philadelphia as “sede vacante”. Most Rev. Andriy Rabiy has been appointed by Pope Francis as the Apostolic Administrator of the Archeparchy of Philadelphia until the appointment of the new Archeparch.Most Rev. Stefan Soroka was appointed as Metropolitan-Archbishop by His Holiness, Pope John Paul II on November 29th, 2000 and installed on February 27, 2001.Most Rev. Andriy Rabiy was appointed by Pope Francis as Auxiliary Bishop for the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia on August 8, 2017. Bishop Andriy, a priest of our Archeparchy, was ordained to the episcopacy by His Beatitude Sviatoslav Shevchuk in St. George’s Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in Lviv, Ukraine on September 3rd, 2017.
Noteworthy articles covering recent events in the life of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta:
- “Blessing of Easter Baskets at Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton,” by Marco Levytsky, New Pathway – Ukrainian News Western Bureau.
- “Seek Those Things Common to All Religions: Ukrainian Catholic Women Reach Out to Their Muslim Neighbours,” by Jayne Buryn, Communications Coordinator, Eparchy of Edmonton.
- “We Are All Pilgrims: Muslims have Mecca, Catholics Have Numerous Sacred Sites in Ukraine,” by Jayne Buryn, Communications Coordinator, Eparchy of Edmonton.
© 2018 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330