This January 12 marks the fifth anniversary of the massive earthquake which hit Haiti in 2010. A number of special commemorations are planned for this month, of which I am forwarding you information about the following, made available through the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops:
1. The Holy Father convoked a special meeting at the Vatican this past Friday and Saturday. His address to the participants is provided in full on the website of the Holy See,
– in English, at http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2015/january/documents/papa-francesco_20150110_v-anniversario-terremoto-haiti.htm
2. The Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace has issued a special report, “Looking back on five years of action” / « Regard sur cinq ans d’action », which is attached in both English and French and also posted on its website,
– in English, at http://www.devp.org/en/pressroom/2015/comm2015-01-12
– in French, at http://www.devp.org/fr/pressroom/2015/comm2015-01-12
The report outlines the work CCODP was able to do, thanks to the contributions by Canadians, through a “reconstruction program of over $28 million, including $21 million in donations from the Canadian public and $7 million from the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD)”.
Thank you and your parishioners for their generosity! It has made an incredible difference in the lives of so many.