- 2013 Presbyteral Council meetings – September 9 – (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery), November 4
- 2013 Clergy Conferences – September 10, November 5.
- 2013 Clergy Retreat – October 28-November 1, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline. Retreat Master: Most Rev. Stefan Soroka, Archeparchy of Philadelphia.
- World Tourism Day will be celebrated on September 27. To mark the occasion the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People’s has released a message entitled Tourism and Water: Protecting Our Common Future. It is also available on the Pontifical Council’s website (www.pcmigrants.org).
- The 188th World Mission Day will be celebrated on October 19. Pope Francis’ Message for the occasion is attached.
- Pope Francis appointed Rev. Bohdan Danylo as Bishop of the Eparchy of Parma, USA. The bishop-elect was born 22 May 1971 in Giżycko in the province of Suwalki in Poland. After studying philosophy in Lublin, he moved to the USA, where he received theological education at the Catholic University of America in Washington (DC) and was ordained a priest for the Eparchy of Stamford on October 1, 1996. After a year of service as curate in the parish of St. Michael in Hartford, he was appointed Vice Rector of the Seminary of St. Basil the Great in Stamford. He continued his studies at the St. Vladimir’s Theological Seminary, Crestwood (NY) and then at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome, where in 2005 he obtained his Licentiate in Theology.
Since 2005 he has served as Rector of Saint Basil the Great Seminary in Stamford, Connecticut.
- On behalf of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Commission for Christian Unity, Religious Relations with the Jews and Interfaith Dialogue, issued a popular resource, “A Church in Dialogue, Catholic Ecumenical Commitment, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council’s Decree on Ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio. This new CCCB resource is intended for parishes, colleges and high schools. Developed by several Canadian Catholic ecumenists working with Bishop Donald Bolen and the Commission, the document is intended for parishes and discussion groups. It provides introductory information about our Church’s commitment to, and involvement in, ecumenical work following the Second Vatican Council. The electronic version of this new resource is available for consultation on the CCCB website (www.cccb.ca). As part of the CCCB’s effort to highlight the anniversary and the ongoing importance of the Decree on Ecumenism, the following resources are available:
- Four parts of an ecumenical prayer service, prepared under the guidance of the Commission, entitled “Pilgrims Together: Celebrating Christian Unity.”
- A message from our President Archbishop Paul-André Durocher on the significance of the 50th anniversary of the Decree.
- A listing of excerpts selected by the Commission from Unitatis Redintegratio, intended for reprinting in church bulletins and on diocesan or parish websites for each Sunday from October 5 to November 23.
- All these resources can be accessed on the CCCB website: www.cccb.ca
- Upon the recommendation of Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior, Bishop David appointed, effective September 1, 2014:
- Rev. John Sembrat, osbm, as Pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Vegreville; and Saint John the Baptist Parish, Borshchiw;and Rev. Ireneus Valyavka, osbm, as Assistant Pastor of the same parishes;
- Rev. Daniel Wach, osbm, in addition to his current pastoral assignment, as Pastor of Saint Nicholas Parish, Saint Michael; Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, Krakow; and Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, Chipman;
- Rev. Ignatius Holowaychuk, osbm, as Assistant Pastor of Saints Peter and Paul Parish, Mundare.
- Bishop David appointed Bernadette Mandrusiak as Eparchial Director of Catechesis. Bernie completed a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Alberta, and is currently pursuing a Master of Divinity at Newman Theological College. Since 1987, she has practiced as a speech language pathologist with school and pre-school aged children, and has worked as a communication consultant for multiple handicapped and severely disabled children. She is a member of the Alberta College of Speech and Language Pathologists and Audiologists. Bernie has vast experience in community and church ministries, including: Sunday school catechist, Generations of Faith facilitator, youth and camp craft leader, member of the Eparchial Catechetical Commission, member of the Bridge of Hope Committee, spiritual committee lead for Saint Nicholas Parish UCWLC, and social development and justice representative of the Eparchy of Edmonton UCWLC.
Bernie is married to Dale and has four children. They attend Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton.
© 2013 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330