- Held Over! A Solemn Exposition of an Official Replica of the Shroud of Turin, authorized by the Archdiocese of Turin, Italy, will take place at Saint Josaphat Cathedral from May 1 to June 26. For times and more information, contact Saint Josaphat Cathedral at stjosaphat.ab.ca or (780) 422-3181. Admission by donation of a food item to the Food Bank. The Exposition is sponsored by the Eparchy of Edmonton as part of its 25 Year Pastoral Plan in spiritual renewal. From childlike curiosity through the path of discovery to the journey of faith!
- The 2014 Canadian National Week for Life and the Family will be held May 12-18 on the theme “Families united in the joy of the Lord.” The dates for this year’s celebration of life and the family coincide in part with those for the 2014 Semaine québécoise des familles, and also with the United Nations World Day of Families, May 15.
- Pope Francis issued his Message for the 51st World Day of Prayer for Vocations, to take place on May 11, on the theme of “Vocations: Witness to the Truth”.
Presbyteral Council meetings – September 22 (2:00-5:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre), November 17.
- Clergy Conferences – September 26 (9:00 am Divine Liturgy – 4:00 pm; Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton), November 18.
- The 48th World Day of Social Communications will be celebrated on June 1, the Sunday before the Feast of Pentecost. Pope Francis’ Message for the occasion, entitled “Communication at the service of an authentic culture of encounter”.
- The 5th Annual “Bishop’s Prayer Breakfast” will take place 7:30 – 9:00 am, Wednesday, June 4, at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral Hall – Verkhovyna (9637 – 108 Aveneue), Edmonton. The event supports through prayer our clergy, religious, monastics and laity in their leadership roles in continuing the mission of Christ in sharing the Good News among the people of God.This year’s guest speaker is Patrick Dumelie, President and CEO, Covenant Health. Covenant Health was recognized as a top employer in Alberta in 2014 for its healing ministry.Covenant Health celebrated 150 years of Catholic health care in Alberta in 2013. It employees 10,000 health care workers in its locations throughout Alberta: Banff, Bonnyville, Camrose, Castor, Edmonton, Killam, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Mundare, St. Albert, Trochu, and Vegreville.Tickets $25.00 per person. $200 for a table of 8 persons. For tickets and more information, contact the Chancery Office at (780) 424-5496; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clergy Study Days – June 23-27, Pope Francis’ “Joy of the Gospel” led by Rev. Stefano Penna (Newman Theological College); and “A Closer Look at the Shroud of Turin,” Sanctum Retreat, Caroline.
- The 2014 World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests will be celebrated on June 27. Attached is a circular letter from His Eminence Beniámino Cardinal Stella, Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy sent to Most Rev. Paul-André Durocher, President, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, with possible suggestions for celebrating this Day of Prayer. The Eparchy of Edmonton will mark the event during our annual Eparchial Clergy Study Days.
- The Annual Saints Peter and Paul Parish Pilgrimage – Vidpust, Mundare will take place Sunday, June 29, commencing with a 9:30 am Blessing of Water and 10:00 am Pontifical Divine Liturgy, celebrated by Bishop David Motiuk and Basilian Fathers. This Year’s Pilgrimage will include a Solemn Exposition of an Official Replica of the Shroud of Turin, authorized by the Archdiocese of Turin, Italy. The Exposition is sponsored by the Eparchy of Edmonton as part of its 25 Year Pastoral Plan in spiritual renewal. From childlike curiosity through the path of discovery to the journey of faith!
- Bishop David will confer upon Michael Bombak, seminarian, the laying on of hands by way of Ordination to the Diaconate on Saturday, August 9, 10:00 am Divine Liturgy, Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- Clergy Retreat – September 22-25, Rev. John Sianchuk, cssr, Retreat Master, Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton.
- Pope Francis:
- Elevated the Eparchy of Sao Joao Batista in Curitiba, Brazil, to the rank of archeparchy, appointing Bishop Volodymyr Koubetch, previously bishop of the same eparchy, as first metropolitan archbishop.
- Erected the Eparchy of the Imaculada Conceicao in Prudentopolis, Brazil, with territory from the newly established Archeparchy of Sao Joao Batista in Curitiba, making it a suffragan of the same archeparchy. He appointed Bishop Meron Mazur, auxiliary of Curitiba, as first eparchial bishop of the new circumscription.
- Gave his assent to the election by the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Catholic Church of Rev. Yosafat Moshchych as Auxiliary of the Archeparchy of Ivano-Frankivsk. The bishop-elect was born in Stariy Rozdil, Ukraine in 1976 and was ordained a priest in 1999. He holds a licentiate in moral theology from the Alphonsianum Academy, Rome, and has served as Superior General of the missionary congregation of St. Andrew the Apostle. He is currently Syncellus or lay aggregations in the Archeparchy of Ivano-Frankivsk.
- This year, the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue celebrated its 50th anniversary. To mark the occasion, it released new guidelines for interreligious dialogues, entitled “Dialogue in Truth and Charity: Pastoral Orientations for Interreligious Dialogue.”
In its Introduction, nos. 6-7, the Pontifical Council states:“This pastoral resource is meant to furnish Bishops, Priests, Religious and Lay Faithful who are engaged in interreligious activities with some essential elements to assist in discernment and also to provide some indications for local programmes of formation in interreligious dialogue. It is intended as well, in a more general way, for all Catholics who have questions about the significance and the purpose of interreligious dialogue in the Church….”
The document is available on the website of the Pontifical Council.
© 2014 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330