- During Great Lent, the Eparchy of Edmonton conducts its annual collection for “Aid to the Missionary Church in Canada.” The purpose of this collection is to support the needs of the Church in Canada. Three charitable institutions are the recipients of the collection: the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, Catholic Missions in Canada, and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.
The Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta responds to the call of Christ to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28: 19-20). The Eparchy of Edmonton supports local priests in their travel, health care, pension, and clergy substitution, thus ensuring that they can respond to the pastoral needs of the faithful, especially the celebration of the Divine Liturgy and funerals in rural Alberta. Visit www.edmontoneparchy.com to see how the Church is working for you. Catholic Missions in Canada supports over 600 missionaries – priests, deacons, sisters, brothers and lay ministers – throughout 27 eparchies and dioceses right here in Canada, including the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Catholic Missions supports the local churches in our call to proclaim the Gospel among Firsts Nations communities, missionary support, religious education programs, building and repairs, lay pastoral leadership programs, and education of seminarians. To learn more about the work of Catholic Missions in Canada visit (www.cmic.info) and sign up for a free subscription to its quarterly magazine by calling toll free 1-866-937-2642. Each year the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops is asked to speak out, give leadership, and provide guidelines for the faithful on a wide variety of topics in our daily lives. For our bishops to do so, they must have the benefit of research and expert advice. Research and gathering information requires staff, time and money. Through the yearly bishops’ collection, an appeal is made to all Catholics to be generous towards the work of their bishops. To learn more about the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, visit www.cccb.ca.
- Bishop David will celebrate the Holy Thursday Divine Liturgy, Consecrate the Holy Myrrh, and Re-enact the Washing of the Disciple’s Feet at Saint Josaphat’s Cathedral at 7:00 pm, March 28. Holy Thursday marks the Institution of the Eucharist and of the Priesthood. The clergy and faithful from all parishes are welcome.
- A National Week for Life and the Family, a new initiative of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB), will be celebrated from May 12-19. The theme for this year’s week is The Family: Facing life’s challenges together with Christ,” focusing on building a culture of life and a civilization of love. To assist parishes in marking the week through prayer and celebration, the CCCB together with the Catholic Organization for Life and Family (COLF) have prepared various suggestions and resources which are listed below, for downloading and printing free of charge, or for adapting as needed.
- 2013 Presbyteral Council meetings – May 27 – (2:00-5:00 pm, Chancery), September 9, November 4
- 2013 Clergy Conferences – May 28, September 10, November 5.
- 2013 Clergy Retreat – October 28-November 1, Sanctum Retreat Centre, Caroline. Retreat Master: Most Rev. Stefan Soroka, Archeparchy of Philadelphia.
- 2013 Canada-wide Clergy, Clergy Wives and Women and Men Religious “Encounter” (Study Days) – June 24-27, Saskatoon; Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Bishop-martyr Nykyta Budka as the First Ukrainian Catholic Bishop in Canada. The Encounter will be followed by the National Conventions of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada and the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada from June 27-30 also in Saskatoon.
- The Eparchy of Edmonton is pleased to host the 2013 Sheptytsky Institute Study Days – An Eastern Christian Feast for the Mind and Heart from July 5-7 at Saint Josaphat Cathedral Hall (Verkhovyna). The Study Days are an opportunity for the laity, religious, monastics and clergy to gather together in prayer, study, fellowship and discussion. The theme for the 2013 Study Days is: Celebrating the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’-Ukraine featuring:
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Andriy Chirovsky – The Spiritual Legacy of the Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Very Rev. Dr. Peter Galadza – The Liturgical Legacy of the Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Rev. Dr. Andrew Onuferko – The Catechetical Legacy of the Ukrainian Catholic Church
- Workshops on a variety of topics
- Children’s Program (ages 5-12)
- Pre-Study Days Beginner and Advanced Cantoring WorkshopsFor further information and registration, visit www.edmontoneparchy.com or call (780) 424-5496.
- The Eparchy of Edmonton is also pleased to host the 2013 Sheptytsky Institute Summer Institute from July 9-20. Two courses will be offered:
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Andriy Chirovsky – THO 3318 Eastern Christian Spirituality
- Very Rev. Dr. Peter Galadza – THO 3328 The Holy Mysteries: Byzantine Sacraments.For further information and registration, contact Julie Daoust email@example.com, 1-800-637-6859 ext. 2332. or (613) 236-1393 ext. 2332.Cost per course: credit $602; audit $150.Classes will be held at the Chancery Office of the Eparchy of Edmonton (9645 – 108 Avenue).Note: Those enrolling in one or both courses are required to attend the Sheptytsky Institute Study Days July 5-7.
- 2013 Pilgrimage to Ukraine. (Deadline extended to April 10 at current advertised pricing; bookings after April 10 subject to increased prices.) His Beatitude Sviatoslav invites you to join him in Kyiv In 2013! His Beatitude our Patriarch Sviatoslav has invited the faithful of the Ukrainian Catholic Church to make a pilgrimage to Kyiv in 2013 to celebrate the 1,025th anniversary of the baptism of Kyivian-Rus, Ukraine! The major celebration will be a special Divine Liturgy on Sunday, August 18 at the Holy Resurrection Sobor in Kyiv. Join Metropolitan Lawrence Huculak (Winnipeg), Bishop David Motiuk (Edmonton), Bishop Ken Nowakowski (New Westminster) and Bishop Bryan Bayda (Saskatoon) on an official pilgrimage to Ukraine from August 7-21. The Pilgrimage will begin in western Ukraine visiting Lviv, Zarvanytsia, and Ternopil before heading out to Kyiv for the major celebrations. In the next few weeks more details will be announced as the program is finalized. Solaway Travel has been commissioned to assist our Church in arranging for our travel plans and accommodations on this pilgrimage. To express your interest in being part of this very exciting pilgrimage with our Bishops please contact: Myrna Arychuk, Solaway Travel, 3819 Sunset Street, Burnaby, BC V5G 1T4, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 604 430 6789 Fax: 604-430-2244, www.solawaytravel.com.
- Pope Benedict XVI (now Pope Emeritus) issued a Message to the young people of the world on the occasion of the 28th World Youth Day, which will take place in Rio de Janeiro in July 2013. The message is available at the following link: http://www.vatican.va/
- His Beatitude Patriarch Sviatoslav issued a Pastoral Letter on the Year of Faith.
- The Ukrainian Catholic Bishops in Canada issued a Pastoral Letter on the Occasion of the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord.
- The following Clergy Pastoral Assignments take effect August 1, 2013:
- Calgary – Dormition of the Mother of God Parish – Rev. Michael Bohun
- Calgary – Saint Stephen the Protomartyr Parish – Rev. Mark Bayrock, Pastor; Rev. Bohdan Nahachewsky, Assistant Pastor
- Camrose and District Parishes – Rev. Greg Faryna
- Edmonton – Dormition of the Mother of God Parish – Rev. Myron Pyszcz
- Edmonton – Exaltation of the Holy Cross Parish – Rev. Janko Herbut
- Edmonton – Holy Eucharist Parish and Protection of the Mother of God Parish – Rev. Mihajlo Planchak
- Edmonton – Saint George Parish – Rev. Anton Tarasenko, Pastor; Rev. Danylo Kuc, Assistant Pastor (Sunday Divine Liturgies) and Director of Liturgy of the Eparchy of Edmonton
- Edmonton – Saint Nicholas Parish – Rev. Julian Bilyj
- Edmonton – Saint Volodymyr Parish – Rev. Ivan Nykyforuk
- Edmonton – Saint Josaphat Cathedral – Rev. Peter Babej, Pastor; Rev. Stanislav Bjeli 1st Assistant; Rev. Stephen Wojcichowsky, 2nd Assistant (Sunday Divine Liturgies) and Chancellor of the Eparchy of Edmonton; Rev. Deacon Jim Nakonechny
- Grande Prairie and District Parishes – Rev. Roman Planchak
- Lethbridge – Saints Peter and Paul Parish – Rev. Gary Sedgwick
- Lloydminster and Vermilion – Descent of the Holy Spirit Parish and Saint Olga Parish – Rev. Bill Hupalo
- Red Deer – Saint Volodymyr Parish – Rev. Serhiy Harahuc
- Redwater and District Parishes – Rev. Slavko Dumec
- Saint Paul and District Parishes – Rev. Mark Sych
- Sherwood Park – Saint Sophia – Rev. Rendy Yackimec
- Smoky Lake and District Parishes – Rev. Danylo Bodnar
- The Feast of Annunciation of the Mother of God, a Holy Day of Obligation, falls on Great and Holy Monday, March 25. While pastoral prudence is to be practiced, the Typikon prescribes on Sunday evening, regular Great Vespers with Lytia for the Feast; and on Monday evening, Great Vespers combined with the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom, with no Divine Liturgy in the morning.
- The Commission for Doctrine, Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, prepared on online resource entitled, Verbum Domini: List of Pastoral and Practical Recommendations, a text focusing on the pastoral and practical applications of the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Verbum Domini, including a complete listing of the various recommendations found throughout the Exhortation. The recommendations are organized according to the topics they touch upon: Clergy, Education, Liturgy, Living out God’s Word, Parish Facilities, and Prayer and Devotions. The resource is found at: www.cccb.ca/
- The Most Reverend Julian Voronowsky, Eparichal bishop emeritus of the Eparchy of Sambir-Drohobych, reposed in the Lord on February 28 at the age of 77. May God grant him eternal rest.
His Excellency Bishop David and the entire Chancery staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a blessed and holy celebration of the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord.
Христос Воскрес! Воістину Воскрес!
Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
© 2013 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330