Today, His Beatitude Patriarch Sviatoslav toured the site of the Castle Mountain Internment Camp, one of 24 such World War One camps built to hold Galicians (Ukrainians) during the War. Earlier in the day, His Beatitude together with Bishop Motiuk and a small delegation of Eparchial clergy were joined by Dr. Lubomyr Luciuk (author of several works on the subject) and Andrew Hladyshevski (President of the Shevchenko Foundation) for a presentation on a special memorial scheduled to open in June 2013 at Cave and Basin Hot Springs in the Banff townsite. Near the Cave and Basin was the site of the “winter camp” while internees spent the summer at Castle Mountain. Representatives from Parks Canada shared their plans for a memorial building that will house displays describing the pre-war events leading up to the time of internments, personal accounts for both the internees as well as the guards, and then a display to share the situation after the camps were closed.
The rich man is not one who has much but one who gives much. For, what he gives away remains his forever.
St. John Chrysostom
- June 16; First Sunday after Pentecost. All Saints Sunday
- +Sr Aloysia Safranowicz, SSMI Falls Asleep in The Lord
- Sunday, June 9; Descent of the Holy Spirit. Holy and Glorious Pentecost
- EPARCHIAL NEWSLETTER June 2019
- Sunday, June 2; Seventh Sunday after Pascha. Sunday of the Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea, Octoechos Tone 6; Our Holy Father Nicephorus the Confessor (829)